Reviews for Us Against The World
dragonflydreamer chapter 7 . 5/31/2012
[For me, to hear him say such a word close to a curse was an absolute novelty.] Weird wording. Maybe "a word so close to a curse?"

Hah, nice little allusion to the student-teacher relationship.

I wonder what the fallout of Cyrus taking Eva's phone and talking to Ceri will be. I foresee a lot of prying question and rumor mills, hm?
dragonflydreamer chapter 6 . 5/31/2012
[Mel, on the other hand-"...Cyrus, on the other hand,] You used these both really close together. Try to change one.

I'm glad that you got into his story of why he wanted to be a teacher. I'm still not quite sure why he's teaching high school instead of college, but the line "Because otherwise, everything just seems pointless." was really heavy.

I feel like the banter about the chicken pox was a little too close too fast. I know you like bringing them down to the same level once in a while, but he felt a little too childish there.
dragonflydreamer chapter 5 . 5/31/2012
I like the little interlude back to their conversation about Sexextra. It's written in a very internet-y way, but it didn't detract from the writing. I could almost hear her saying the asterisks and everything.

I love the little moment where she says he's become Cyrus instead of Quince. Good way to emotionally separate that moment.

The baking thing was also cute. Hah, I like how he trades help for homework. It shows how he's not exactly perfect at this teaching thing.
dragonflydreamer chapter 4 . 5/31/2012
Typos:

[decipher the meaning off.] of

[who's back was turned to me] whose

Haha, but I love the name Cyrus!

We're really getting somewhere with this chapter. I love the awkward banter between them. Really, what do you say to a teacher who's over your house? I thought you found a good balance of getting them to talk more personally without going too far too fast. We're also getting to see a lot of his quirks now that he's out of his natural environment. I wonder if we're going to get more scenes with Stephen so we see him comfortably interacting with people his own age.
HippoCritical chapter 1 . 5/3/2012
Ok I absolutely love this story. I loved it so much that I read the whole thing thrice. I love the way you didn't make him the stereotypical hot English professor because god knows we have enough of those ones.

Just one question. Is this story going to have an unhappy ending? Please say no. I like Cyrus too much.
yasupoimegane chapter 17 . 4/22/2012
They finally kissed! I'm still really glad that you didn't rush it though, that's something I really admire. When I try writing fiction I always have the urge to rush the first kiss. You are truly powerful, woodpeckerwho! I finally got myself an account so that it would be easier to access your story to check for new chapters! Well done, I'm anticipating the next chapter! (I really hope this story will be a really long one!)
Astronomia chapter 17 . 4/22/2012
I love this story; I really do. I've been searching so hard for a good story and I'm glad that I found this one. It's fantastic. I've seen authors try to use the student/teacher idea numerous times but they always fail. They never capture my interest. You have added a wonderful, unique twist to the plot. I especially like how Cyrus isn't particularly good looking like most of the male teacher romance interests. I also love the way that you have developed these characters. Very in depth. :)
Anonymous deleted account chapter 17 . 4/21/2012
I don't think you know how ABSOLUTELY EPIC this story is... I am just so amazed by this whole thing, I love you WoodpeckerWho for keeping me up till 3 in the morning because I couldn't stop reading this. P.S. If you don't update in the next 24 hours I will turn very angry and I will hunt you down...
icyprincess1 chapter 17 . 4/21/2012
I've missed so much! :O

But it's just do amazing and sweet, and, and, and- ... I need more adjectives..

Your writing style is simply amazing and I just couldn't stop reading this. I feel so bad for Cyrus :( but it seems like he's getting along fine now :)
idon'tknowhowtodance chapter 17 . 4/21/2012
I read all of your chapters and i find the story absolutely amazing.

Please update soon! :)

x S.P.
pattEcake chapter 17 . 4/20/2012
Oh my God it's just so wonderful.
mgmtlover18 chapter 17 . 4/20/2012
So I just read the first chapter again...please tell me this story isn't going to end on a negative note? Eva has been through so much and deserves to be happy :/
mgmtlover18 chapter 17 . 4/20/2012
Amazing! I've been wondering when they would finally be romantic. Can't wait for the next chapter! I've been wondering though, how old is evageline?
Lorelei Leigh chapter 17 . 4/20/2012
Okay, I read the whole thing, I owe you a review. Not that it's a bother, because it isn't.

I like your writing style, if not your plot so much. be proud that your prose was strong enough to hook me, this is not the kind of story I usually read. Your characters are surprisingly strong, and nicely you have correct conventions, always a plus.

Plot issues? Fifteen seems a little young, as I was reading, she seemed way more mature than that. Maybe lay off the foreshadowing a bit, sometimes it was like being tied to a chair and watching as someone slowly swings a dead fish at you.

Honestly? I don't know that I'll finish it. I like your other work better. Update those.
hc chapter 13 . 4/19/2012
OH. MY. GOSH. Eva getting raped. Cyrus' past. I don't even. Crap I can't even form coherent sentences. Look at what you've done to me! Hats off to you for making me feel like this, this is going to be in my head all day. How can just one chapter be so emotional and heart-wrenching? What an excellent story.
156 | « Prev Page 1 .. 2 3 4 5 6 7 .. Last Next »