Reviews for Rooting for Romance
Whirlymerle chapter 25 . 2/2/2012
Hey! Long time no see (ish).

Okay, since you have a lot of new projects up, and I'm guessing you'd want reviewers to focus on those now, I'm going to review the last 5 chapters of Rooting for Romance, so that when I update again, I can review something more recent.

Chapter 21:

[the two friends suffered from what you humans call awkwardness] Ha! Now I remember why I miss the tree so much.

[This was a silence that was the conversation. It devoured all of the words they said,] Ahh, I love this line so much. It's so poetic. *sigh

[he did talk in himself] this should still be "talk to himself"

Ooh, I like how Kayleigh and Matthew are plotting together. Haha. :) And it's so cute that Ellen and Yuri are both aule to express their feelings because they're afraid of ruining their already beautiful friendship.

Chapter 22:

[I was mentally branchtrunking] another great tree-word teehee

Anyway, this chapter was really sweet too, I thought. In a way, I’m glad they didn't have a big climactic makeout scene or anything, because the suddenness of that would make it a bit melodramatic. And it was cute when Yuri grabbed Ellen's hand.

Also, you were vacationing in Belgium? So jealous! The last time I've been outside the US was a couple years ago, when I went from the US of Niagara Falls to the Canadian side. The only noticeable difference was the hundreds of "We sell Cuban cigars" signs that I was bombarded with.

Chapter 23:

Uh-oh. Explosion of Mount Ellen. I was also surprised by how Ellen was so forceful. Although I totally can see why she's mad at her little sister for trying to play fairy Godmother. In terms of my personal opinion on this chapter, yeah, I would prefer seeing Yuri and Ellen pick up on their relationship, but I know you have to deal with the fact that Ellen's probably angry at Kayleigh, cand how they'd resolve it, so overall, it was a good sister bonding moment.

Chapter 24:

[I'm curious to your present for me] should be "curious about" or maybe "curious as to"

[You know why I didn't immediately help her? Because I had the weirdest sense of déjà vu.] Ah, I feel much better now that Ellen explained herself, and that it isn't because she wanted Josephine to actually fall.

[you ignited an unexplicable spark in me] unexplicable isn't a word, but inexplicable and unexplainable are. But woohoo! I'm so happy that Ellen's finally confessing her feelings. I'd join the tree in a mental happy dance. :D

[what if your crush actually was replied] I'm a little iffy about the word choice "replied" which I notice you use a lot. Personally, I think reciprocated is a more commonly used word when describing responses to romantic relationships.

And yes! I really liked part 3, it was so intense! I'm so happy that Ellen and Yuri finally kissed. Daww…

Epilogue:

Good to see that Yuri and Ellen are still together and married, and that they're staying in the neighborhood they grew up in. Of course, they can't leave the tree. It's a good ending for them. Also, I'm glad that you hinted that Kayleigh and Matthew might get together sometime. They make a great team of co-conspirators and the age difference shouldn't matter as much now that they're older and on a similar level of maturity.

And I thought the tree's final note about climbing on trees is a great way to end. Actually, while reading this, there have definitely been some moments where I just wanted to go out and climb a tree. If I see a suitable one in sight, I will be sure to climb it. :)

And homigosh! I feel so honored to have been mentioned in your final author's note! Haha, great predication with the "It's probably going to take a while until you're finally at the epilogue" part. True true, but I got here! Thank you for your kind words; I really appreciate it.

Alright, I look forward to reading some of your other works, hopefully soon.

Merle
AnnieStoryTeller chapter 25 . 12/12/2011
Firstly - I wish I had a beta :( My stories badly need to be beta-d before i can put them up, but i have to make do without one *sighs*

I liked the ending of the story so much _ It was nice to see the story end on such happy notes :D Besides, I am a sucker for happy endings :)

And you're welcome ;) I loved reading every chapter! There was so much that I could only guess at times. It was certainly one of the best reads ever, albeit I took rather a long time to review _

Keep up the good work and hope to read more of your work :)
AnnieStoryTeller chapter 24 . 12/12/2011
Wow!

Thank God Kayleigh forced her to confess her feelings to Yuri. And now Ellen and Yuri can live happily ever after! :) I am so glad they got together the way they did. And their favorite branch will always be the special place for them, isn't it? :)

Amazing end to the story. Though the epilogue is still left for me to read :D But I have thoroughly enjoyed the journey from childhood to adulthood of these two characters!

It was very well written!
AnnieStoryTeller chapter 23 . 12/12/2011
Ah...I am guessing they annoyed one another because they were two busy not seeing that they were meant to help out? Kind of like an ego clash of sorts? But at least they calmed down and now Ellen can just ask Yuri and we'll all live happily ever after.

I hope someday you write a sequel with just Kayleigh as the lead :) It would be an amazing read _

Coming to this chapter, we can sense the end. It is so near to us and the final chapter with tie all loose ends together and I will finish reading Rooting for Romance! :D
AnnieStoryTeller chapter 22 . 12/12/2011
All that plan and they say "we'll be best friends for ever?" :( I am a little disappointed :/

But hey, it's a story and you had to slow things down for a while. The whole 'branchtrunking' thing had been laughing my heads off :D It was pure genius of you. I liked that very much :)

It's another well written chapter. I like how Elder Tree feels completely involved in their lives - to the extent of actually wanting to be human to get the two blithering idiots together! :D
AnnieStoryTeller chapter 21 . 12/12/2011
Ah, somehow I saw that one coming: when you mentioned two people helping to bring them together, I had a feeling it would be Matthew and Kayleigh. Do they find love themselves while this is happening? :D Anyway, I am curious to know what does happen which brings the two childhood playmates together in the end! I hope it's really something that takes me by surprise.

Anyway, it's a lovely chapter which drives your story forward. And I am growing fonder of Elder Tree as we near the end of the story _
AnnieStoryTeller chapter 20 . 12/12/2011
Wow! So they did it, huh?

A mistake I spotted was, "Then Ellen got out of the car and I finally noticed his overjoyed expression..." shouldn't you mention Yuri here. Also, doesn't the line break here cause some sort of distraction? :/ It seems like an odd place to put that.

But it's good to see so much of Kayleigh. I really like her character. Also, I am sure we'd find more of Ellen and Yuri now: like you said in the author's note. _

The beautiful story which Elder Tree had stated at the very beginning. Or the little playmates.

Good to see Derek is not tearing apart his family :)
AnnieStoryTeller chapter 19 . 12/12/2011
"Ellen suddenly hang out..." it should be hung out.

I liked the twin incidents in this chapter. That of Derek finally steering clear of Jacqueline. I am sorry for her and all, but she really shouldn't be trying to steal someone else's husband, no matter how good she is in bed.

I also liked Yuri coming clean to Matthew about his crush. I wonder if they'll get together like a cute fairy tale or will there be problems before they can do that :D

*sighs* I am curious to see what happens next! And the wedding was awesome.
AnnieStoryTeller chapter 18 . 12/12/2011
Another good chapter :) I liked how Ellen goes after Kayleigh and helps the little girl. It's good to see those two finally bonding with each other.

I liked how Fred semi-helped Derek though. I guess he couldn't believe Derek would ever do something as horrible as that to his wife, right? Even if she was a little bossy.

Ellen dealing with her father's cheating is a normal. She tries to handle it normally, whereas Kayleigh acted like the impulsive child that she is. I am sorry to see she wouldn't be talking to a tree as often as she did. She was providing me with a lot of happiness by doing that.

The chapter again works well. I think you meant 'hung' when you wrote that Ellen was climbed up after her sister. 'Hang' reads a little funny to me.

Besides that, I enjoyed the chapter very much. I'll review the rest either tonight or tomorrow morning. I've got to go now. _
AnnieStoryTeller chapter 17 . 12/12/2011
Little confrontation scene does work well for this chapter of yours. I am surprised Samantha hasn't kicked Derek out of the house yet though...she was always getting her way and almost making him a henpecked husband before this - why this sudden change of only a cold behavior and nothing else? Is she trying to get keep her marriage from falling apart.

Another chapter which drives the plot forward, and we see that Yuri girlfriend has ditched him. I thought it would be the other way round...but ah, you do like taking me by surprise and bring about the unpredictability of the separate chapters.

The scene where Ellen convinces Yuri to begin training again is the cutest one...and I really liked it. Ah, and this is how they find love again? That's amazing! Positive end to a rather somber chapter then...
AnnieStoryTeller chapter 16 . 12/12/2011
I can't pretend I saw that one coming...of all the people in your story, little Kayleigh is the one who realizes her father's cheating on her mother? :/ Hmm...yep, your plot twist certainly is back!

Yuri's becoming the jealous little boy, I guess. That's the negative change your hinting at. Or even the fact Josephine is slowly becoming more of a coach, than his girlfriend? I am little confused about that.

The chapter was extremely well written, and flowed very well. But Elder tree sounds a little old now...maybe because he just despises this weather at the start of the chapter?

He does cheer up a lot during spring though. That's a good thing :)
AnnieStoryTeller chapter 15 . 12/11/2011
I feel rather sad for Matthew and quite irritated at Yuri...how could he ship off his best friend to someone else? It's her life. He shouldn't be interfering into it anyway.

Samantha and Derek are going to get a divorce? That wouldn't be a nice thing, you know...but I get the elder trees concern. I really do.

As I keep saying, this point of view really works well. And all your characters are very well fleshed out.

What I don't get is, Ellen holds the grudge against Matthew after all these years - but Yuri doesn't mind that at all? That's a little fishy. Something to do with Ellen being in love with Yuri, I am guessing.

Kayleigh might end up being Matthew's girlfriend in the near future? Or will she fall for someone else? I can't wait to find out. Going to the next chapter now...
AnnieStoryTeller chapter 14 . 12/11/2011
Oh my god! You described the whole crushing of a fourteen year old so well. I never could guess why she was so scared of Matthew. That plot is pure-genius...but I guess that is how teenagers act around their crushes...isn't it?

Ellen has began pining away for Yuri already, isn't it? And Josephine really seems to be reading them well, considering they've met each other pretty recently. She's the only one who gets that Matthew likes Ellen, and Kayleigh realizes that in her musings... wow.

You've certainly proof read this chapter well, because I couldn't spot any mistakes :) That's a sure winner! :D

I am growing quite attached to Kayleigh though. I am quite able to identify with her character. I hope to see more of her in the next chapters... _
AnnieStoryTeller chapter 13 . 12/11/2011
Ah so the best friends fell for each other. It's a cliched plot twist, but one I truly love. I'm a sucker for such cliched romances _ Anyway, I am rather curious to know what Matthew's deal is. Why does he scare Kayleigh so much?

And Ellen fell for Yuri? I thought the boy would be falling for her when I first started reading the story :P But when you mentioned Josephine, I guessed it would be the other way round.

I like how you still keep the surprises coming though. First the whole Derek and Jacqueline episode and next, the whole Ellen-Yuri thing :) What have you planned for us next?
AnnieStoryTeller chapter 12 . 12/11/2011
Awww bonding time with Yuri's little brother! _ That was the cutest chapter ever, and hah! I knew it. Jacqueline and Derek are having an affair, aren't they? :P Aren't they? :D Well, I will just have to find out in the next chapter.

Somehow you seem to be missing a lot of apostrophes. Just go over your chapter once and fix that.

I liked the how the little events you narrate always wind up together, driving the plot forward. I really need to learn that trick, you know :P

And I liked the author's note too ;) You were off in Rome? I'm rather envious of that :D But now...going over to the next chapter, to see if I was right!
171 | Page 1 2 3 4 11 .. Last Next »