Reviews for Dust to dust
Iris Musicia ft. Eliza Ghost chapter 1 . 7/11/2011
Wow. I wish I could make rhyming sound that natural (that's why I stick to free verse!) It's a nice concept. Really well written
aberlemno chapter 1 . 4/5/2011
I really like the imagery in this poem. The idea that all life comes from and returns to the earth is portrayed in a very natural context in the first part of the poem. Then the human's interruption of the life cycle of the forest, in order to make a coffin: in order to be able to complete their own, much shorter life cycle in the right way. So, the juxtaposition of human culture with the natural world is very interesting here, especially when I thought about it a bit more and realised that the tree, as a character with a voice, ideas about family and hospitality etc, is basically a human character as well. I find the way that we cannot even begin to comprehend the world surrounding us without anthropomorphising it (something ingrained in language, folklore and religion) very interesting, so I very much enjoyed your presentation of it here. It made me think: we have no idea what it's like to be a tree. Maybe they are conscious. But treating the natural world with respect, as if it is conscious, is sort of common sense if we need to live with it/from it... because after all we are part of it, whether we like it or not... and it can kill you.

Anyway... I liked the scansion in this poem, it has a sort of musical lilt to it. I think my favourite lines were "Tendrils buried, running deep/ Feed me, hold me, while I sleep," excellent word choice, and just generally very poetic. Forgive my slightly rambling thoughts about this poem, but I very much liked it.

- aberlemno (from the Globe forum)
Bonjour Skitty chapter 1 . 3/24/2011
Aww, that poor tree. I sympathize with it. I must commend you on your use of older words as well, incorporated with a steady rhythm and rhyme. It doesn't feel forced at all.
Ashley4287 chapter 1 . 3/18/2011
dang ur work leaves me speechless. in awe.. it's a good thing ;)

/u/767813/Ashley4287