Reviews for Dress Up Doll
Serendipitist Swan chapter 1 . 4/6/2011
I really liked this poem. Partially because I have dolls on the brain with the story I'm writing, but mostly because it was so beautifully written. I imagined a girl who could never live up to her mother's expectations. And for some reason I thought the second stanza was about eating disorders. Like someone was pressuring her to be thinner and fit into the 'inch-wide evening gowns'. Was that what you were going for? It might be just my imagination. But either way, I really enjoyed the poem.

-Swan
YasuRan chapter 1 . 3/22/2011
A very prettily worded poem with layers of meaning to comprehend. Starting with an apology sets off that sympathetic air we come to feel for the character. What makes it work so well here is that you avoided the usual ansgty pitfalls and focused on the rawness of the emotions; how 'she' fails to live up to their expectations and that doesn't affect them more than it should.

I like how the judgemental tone escalates into a solution that doesn't benefit either of them in the end. The girl ends up used and 'they' lose out their aspirations. It's a tragic ending as befits a tragic life. Great work on capturing that essence.
Superslow Jellyfish chapter 1 . 3/21/2011
This is a great poem. I interpreted it as never living past someone's expectations and I know many people in that manner. First of all, I liked how you tied in everything to that theme, especially when you put "she tried" as a view for emphasis on the girls' part to live up. I also liked the line "You demanded out of her every pose", which also shows the demand from the source themselves. A second thing I liked was the use of a rose, since they're always seen as a point of perfection among us, but the wilted, thorny rose now signifies something useless and imperfect, which gives great sadness in the poem's tone. Another thing I liked was the vagueness of it all, since you never really state who the person is. Is it a parent? A boyfriend? A best friend? I love those kind of poems, since they seem to be universal themes that many could feel and understand. Totally loved it, by the way.

BM (Flare) from RG