Reviews for Pixies and Priests
Gilee7 chapter 1 . 6/16/2011
[raise hand up, / then down, / back, and across, slowly] Like an idiot, I actually had to do my own hand like before I realized that they were forming the motion of a cross.

I like this poem a lot, mainly due to its story-like quality. I've read it several times now, trying to figure out exactly what is going on in it. Having read so much of your poetry in the past and knowing your sexual nature, as well as the view you usually take when writing about religion, I'm immediately suspicious of everyone in this poem. I especially know not to trust a priest, in real life or in your poetry. Perhaps because I'm reading the poem with a sinister mindset, I'm getting very unsettling vibes from your words. I think there are many ways that people could interpret this poem, but nearly interpretation I can think of is quite dark and disturbing.

[stars perturbed from the lingering night candle in the tower] If stars are perturbed, then so am I.

Lass seems innocent during a first impression, with all her dancing and whatnot (although I wonder if dancing is actually a euphemism of something else). I question her innocence and girl-like nature, though. Maybe I'm wrong and she's the one pure thing in thing in this poem, but I doubt it.

[well-versed in ecclesiastical plague-ridden verbatim] This is a very fun line to say aloud. It's quite a mouthful. The stanza that this line is located in, though, is the one that's throwing me off the most, especially with lines like "sizzling in bacon grease."

Excellent poem, Juliet. It's the kind of poem that seems to get better and stronger and deeper each time I read it. The whole thing disturbs me greatly. Something deeply unsettling is taking place in this poem, even if I can't pinpoint exactly what it is. I have a few ideas, though. But not knowing what it is exactly probably makes it more powerful. Ambiguity is a good thing.
Nesasio chapter 1 . 5/15/2011
This is my very late April WCC entry review. :)

I liked the way you used enjambment between the stanzas. It really kept the movement going, and connected the Lass and priest/men. That was nicely done. Overall, I thought this was interesting but a little confusing. I got the general idea but some of the phrasing didn't tell me anything. Lines like 'he wallops/the heavy morning mist like a husk/a chunk of crab grass'. I wasn't sure what that meant. Still, I got the general idea on a stanza-by-stanza level so it was still successful.

Sorry this review took so long, and good luck in the WCC! :)
Sarah Isaacs chapter 1 . 5/7/2011
and lass sleeps on

unawares

Very nicely written. Had to read it twice, I admit, before I vaguely understood what you were talking about. Or at least, what to interpret :) I definitely enjoy it though. Best of luck in the competition!
Sercus Kaynine chapter 1 . 4/9/2011
Lovely imagery throughout this. It's just so easy to fall into. Not much of a poet myself, it's something I can really appreciate.

Great use of a fantastical feel for this piece.

Good job and good luck in WCC!
thewhimsicalbard chapter 1 . 4/7/2011
There's one thing you might want to take into account about your poem. There are four things that appear by the end of the first stanza of the poem - your pen name, flower imagery, a dead person, and a riverbed - which all invoke the death of Ophelia in Hamlet. So, for the rest of your poem, I kept wondering "How does this relate to Hamlet?" I don't think you meant it this way, but nonetheless that is what I saw early on. You're obviously a very experienced poet, so you should definitely understand the importance of the first line.

Yeah, so, good luck this month.

-twb
YasuRan chapter 1 . 4/2/2011
The first stanza has such a great hook; evoking some great imagery. The 'though she was warm in her bed' part had me curious. I also like 'Heavenly hero-worshiping' from the second stanza because it certainly conjures the image of a zealous priest to mind. In fact, I enjoyed the whole of that particular stanza; loved the rhythm and pacing of the word arrangement.

Although I'm not quite sure what this is about, I'm still very partial to your vocab. There are a lot of phrases that stand out, which keep me mulling over just to see if there's something I've missed. Well done and good luck in the competition!