Reviews for Saving from Monkeys
Never Knows Best chapter 8 . 1/27/2013
Hah, that penis song had me rolling on the floor with laughter. Also, what the hell happened previous to chapter one? How bad can it really be? It's bothering me, so I guess I'll have to keep reading to find out.
Never Knows Best chapter 6 . 1/27/2013
Nan is fantastic. I wish she was my grandmother.
The Beauty of Lies chapter 20 . 1/22/2013
I adored rox's personality, i really truly did. Shes hillarious! And weird, and it's nice to know people who rival your level of weird find love, if only in fiction. You captured the reactions to nan's death well... I dont know if its because you know what its like to lose someone, because i know just how awful it feels, but im trying to compliment your writing skills when i say i cried when Elliot finally broke down in front of Rox and Jonah. [and that i truly, honestly hope you have never experienced the awfulness of someone you love dying. There are just no words.] I'm surprised that Rox and Elliot ended up together, I was so sure she'd never get past her issues with money, but she did, in the strangest and yet healthiest way possible, and I admire her character all the more for it. Elliot and Rox's romance was sweet, a bit cliched and best of all, only really blocked by Elliot and Rox themselves, an interesting twist on the usual rich boy poor girl thing, that I think might have made a younger Rox angry but i'm sufe must amuse the post- college Rox. I wish there were more scenes with Nan because she is such an awesome character.. Reading her last letter was funny, and sad and held all the little feelings one has when a person they love dies. That moment with the flowers was just priceless and captured saying goodbye like nothing conventional really could, not for a woman like Nan and a lady like Rox ... Goodness, am I rambling? I hope not... Its 3, near 4 in the morning and i haven't had a lick of sleep. I hope future readers understand what i'm saying or at least will be tempted to read this when I say that this was just too good to put down.
mgouda chapter 20 . 1/21/2013
Hello there, new reader here

First of all, I'd just like to say that I absolutely adore this story. I came across it a few days ago and read it over the weekend...I just couldn't stop reading!

I read lighthouse Charlie before this, and the do-gooder as well (which I'm planing to write a review for, soon lol) and one thing I noticed about all three is that a) your characters are spectacular and b) your dialogue is practically flawless. Although there's certainly more than a bit of cliches throughout, the writing is so impressive and the originality of the characters is so powerful that it makes those clich├ęs fun and interesting.

Rox is a wonderful lead. I lover her character so much, not just because she's hilarious, stubborn, and often needlessly defiant, but mostly because she's FLAWED. She isn't the perfect, untouchable goody-two-shoes, and at the same time she's not a rebel without a cause kind of girl. More than that, she gradually comes about working on fixing those flaws, not as a way to change herself, but as a way to grow (HELLO character development!)

Elliot, in comparison, is not as spectacular, but is certainly no less entertaining. He's fabulously charming, and a great match for Rox, but I wish we could have gotten into his head more. I'm not usually so crazy about the double POV, but the short snippets of Elliot at the end of each character were great, although I didn't much enjoy it being in 2nd person, as opposed to Rox's 1st person POV.

I loved Abi and Jon as minor characters, and, again, I really, really would have liked to see more development from them, especially during the chapters where Rox and Eliot went to visit Nan (maybe a few phone calls? Idk, something so that the reader doesn't totally forget about them)

Besides the writing being amazing, like I said before, the dialogue is fantastic and so smooth! A lot of times dialogue seems forced, or too colloquial, or too slang-y, but this had a nice balance, so kudos to you!

I also think the story is just about the perfect length. It's not short so that you have to fill in the blanks for yourself, nor is it too long so that it drags on (this doesn't mean I wouldn't like a sequel or spin-off if some sort haaaaa ) although I did think the bit with visiting nan was kind of long in that it made it seem like the major plot was those two getting together under a time of grief, rather than them getting together because of a misunderstanding and gradual friendship, which I think fits better.

I THINK that's all I have to say...but just to add once again: I loooove this story, and I am so looking forward to reading more of you work

Keep it up!
Guest chapter 20 . 12/26/2012
loved this story! and all the others ive read so far! hope you keep them coming :)
AKhwab chapter 20 . 12/21/2012
HI JESS! Let me tell you this: I have THOROUGHLY enjoyed reading this story of yours & all the others. You are SUPER good & I am SO glad that I discovered you! Thank you so much :D

P.S. I'll try the replacing swear words with "monkey" thing.
AKhwab chapter 12 . 12/20/2012
You write very well but I'm not feeling much in this chapter. Though I can say that the feeling behind the sex was wrong.
FamishedNight chapter 20 . 12/18/2012
Loved it! Awesome story!
Carmel March chapter 20 . 12/18/2012
When I started reading this story, I knew it was going to be good, but I didn't think it would be THIS good. Wow, you've made me a bit speechless.

First off, wonderful characters. Realistic and flawed and likable and the type you root for throughout the entire story. Amazing job developing them into such real people; that's a hard thing to do sometimes. Even the supporting characters were perfect. Nan was a particular favourite of mine.

The storyline was so addicting, with the mystery of what happened and Elliot's secrets. I honestly couldn't stop reading. Great job with dialogue, too.

And your writing...I am such a fan. It's smart and witty, really a joy to read. You set the right tone for each scene incredibly well.

I could go on forever about how much I loved this, but I'll spare you :) I'm adding it to my favourites (which I normally never do) because you're amazing!

-Carmel
Shadow of a lonely man chapter 20 . 12/15/2012
Your stories make me appreciate cliches and fluff. I love them! _
Midnight.Moonlight.Mirage chapter 20 . 12/15/2012
Wow. I haven't read a story on fiction press in at least a good year, and I'm so happy this is the one that renewed my passion for reading them. You're writing is always so amazing, and your other story, Private Lives and Public Property will forever remain my favorite story on this site ever. I love this story so much, and your characters were so witty and great and each had such levels of depth to them. I honestly think all your stories should be published. They're the closest things I ever get to reading a real book on FictionPress. They're just so amazing, and written so well! Thanks for another great read :)
whme88 chapter 20 . 12/5/2012
I love love love love your story! I can't tell you how much I love the pair... I think i read this story months before and I specifically searched for it to come and review.. It really is a great story and I love Rox! Keep up the good work!
Jinxed Rogue chapter 18 . 11/23/2012
I have to give you credit for doing an amazing job with keeping the mystery up throughout this story. Maintaining the nature of what happened was interestingly well played, and you keep the reader invested but not frustrated in discovering the truth. *cheers*
Jinxed Rogue chapter 7 . 11/22/2012
That song was a massive hit of nostalgia. It's the only song you've referenced so far that I know!
Livelaughlove2597 chapter 6 . 11/20/2012
I have one question. How are gerberas slurry? ;) I really like it!
1,521 | « Prev Page 1 .. 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 16 .. Last Next »