Reviews for Rudolf Nureyev
Gilee7 chapter 1 . 5/29/2011
I used to date a ballerina. It's the longest relationship I've been in and the only girl I've truly loved. I guess because I used to listen to her talk about ballet so much, and I used to see the physical toll it took on her feet and toes from balancing on those pointe shoes, I now have a great respect and admiration for ballet and its performers. Ballet is one of the highest forms of art. It's poetry of the body. And in this poem you capture its elegance perfectly.

I had no idea who any of these people were- Rudolf Nureyev, Margot Fonteyn, or even Nikita Khrushchev (though I had at least heard the name). Before leaving a review, I figured I should Google them and see. I just spent the last several minutes reading about them. So I want to thank you, Juliet, for giving me a bit of a history lesson. Learning about Nureyev and his important contributions to ballet, his beautiful partnership with Margot, his escape from the Soviet Union, only helped me to appreciate and admire this poem even more than I already did.

I like the repetition througout the poem of "teeth chatter." At first I just assumed it was a reference to the frigid temperature in Russia. But knowing more of the backstory and how Khrushchev tried to have Rufolf killed, teeth chattering could also symbolize his boiling anger.

My favorite thing about this poem, though, is how you formatted it perfectly to capture the rhythm of the ballet. While reading it, I was able to visualize the dancing. For instance, these lines here: "stillness /erect, seem to float, / partner / then separate," The spaces in between "partner" and "then seperate" served perfectly to add that brief moment of pause where we imagine Rufolf and Margot floating, partnering for a brief moment, then separating.

Excellent job.
no.peace.los.angeles chapter 1 . 4/30/2011
Fascinating. I love how you really write about the things you love; it's clear just from looking through your work that you're a huge ballet lover, and I think that's great. I love how vivid the imagery in this poem is. Lovely. Keep writing! :)
Hobbledehoy chapter 1 . 4/12/2011
You're freakin' good! And I'm sure you already know it but a little positive reinforcement can't hurt, can it?

I've been digesting your works for the past two hours. I wish I could write poetry like this. I wish I could look at this poem - at all your poems - and give you some constructive critisism.

But I can't.

Why?

I can't. I don't know enough.

I look at people's work on here and I absorb. I eat it up: gobble, gobble, gobble.

It's art.

It's a glimpse at the most secret parts of people.

It excites and frightens me.