Reviews for America's National Religion Chapter 2
sophiesix chapter 1 . 6/17/2011
ooh i like the idea of politicians having to beg for funding for their programs, campaigns, etc :D Bake sales for campaign funding, yeah!

I also like the idea of people revolting against themselves. Such a strange but wonderful idea.

And 300 thousand employees? If they get on average some 60 thousand $ a year, thats... 18... billion? Wow thats a lot of zeros. well, i guess only half that is expended though because the goverment gets the rest back in tax ;)

As much as i like the idea of voluntary taxation, I've heard too many sad stories of gambling addicts to throw my weight behind a national gambling encouragement scheme. It would work for some, but for others, another way would have to be found... thought provoking reading!
wo bu ai ni le chapter 1 . 5/8/2011
I can't contribute much on American politics, but I seem to have grown quite attached to the socialist side of the UK. High taxation and pretty good benefits (the doctors are pretty useless, yes, but the system more or less works).

Your suggestion is a bit confuzzling because it seems both extremely liberal and extremely capitalist.. and having had all this maths drummed into me, I'm not a big fan of the lottery. I'd rather pay my share and get my share than try my luck - I think people like me would just depend on the payment of others in that case. And then those people will have a higher chance of winning, and the poor government might have to conjure up another plan.
SirScott chapter 1 . 4/29/2011
Repealing the 16th Amendment would free 300,0 people to find useful work.

Sounds good, but its those 300,0 plus those employed under their ranks would fight against your plan.

SirScott
Eternal Skies chapter 1 . 4/29/2011
Your points are legit and reasonable, but the American government has probably gotten quite comfy with the income it makes from taxation. Going voluntary from being mandatory is definitely going to be tough.

I'm not exactly a tax payer and I know squat about American politics, but I can understand your frustration. Obama should be working his butt to help with the issues you guys have, or he won't get a second round of presidency.

"It was fun while it lasted." Obama, in two years time I figure.
nickyO chapter 1 . 4/27/2011
You are right that many states use gambling to offset certain taxes and it works, trouble is our government's bills are too high for a lottery solution to work (otherwise my state which does use some gambling would be in a better financial situation, right?).

Common sense ideas: reduce wasteful spending, stop campaigns from becoming money pits so that there can be true representation and debate, take care of your most vulnerable citizens, create living wage jobs by offering stimulus to businesses with that creation of living wage jobs as a condition of the tax breaks (in other words don't just throw money at them-demand something real in return), look at alternative energy and using our home resources.

Now do I know how to make all that happen-nope. *sigh.