Reviews for Whirlymerle's Potpourri
Dill Wilson chapter 28 . 2/24
Thanks for the insightful review and the interesting observations. Just the other day I was in a convenience store and the young lady said "There you go, Honey," and "Have a Nice Day, Babe" and while I wanted to laugh it actually felt nice to be seen as something other than just a bland customer. I think most who follow my stories can see that I believe that our childhood and adolescent experiences stay with us all of our lives - sometimes that makes us better adults (survival skills, sympathy for others, etc.) but - as I was telling someone - some of those hurts and haunts are always just below the surface and can come out (often triggered by some memory or experience) when we least expect it. But your story gives the rest of us hope - and your talent reminds us that Fiction Press can offer some of us moments of joy, entertainment, respite, satisfaction and a sense that we aren't alone (in our writing and in our dreams).
K chapter 26 . 4/7/2016
I'm always one to stand behind the concept of opportunism. That feeling of moral purity isn't necessarily a straight ladder to the top.
Sjoorm chapter 19 . 1/1/2016
I'm going to presume that these are all life stories from various things that frustrate or confuse you in your part of the world? Continuing on from that, I would be deeply frustrated with a professor who laughed at me for trying to understand or work through his class better. Though you've made yourself stand out from the crowd, I don't think that should be seen as a bad thing. Rather, if people did not bring distinction (and, in some cases, ridicule) down upon them, we might never have gotten this far in our society. The rebels are the ones who gain us these things, not the meek sheep, remember that.

That being said, I am (by unanimous vote) terrible at all things math and algebra that don't include basic understandings of math. Unknown numbers frustrate me, infinitely, so I applaud you for your higher skill in math (compared to myself) and understand your frustrations when it comes to that same math.

In closing, professors suck.
Dill Wilson chapter 26 . 9/27/2015
I'm a "few" years older than you so allow me the indulgence of an older perspective - when it's all said and done, happiness and contentment is all that really matters. All the other stuff is just draping. Follow your heart.
French The Llama chapter 23 . 3/24/2015
I read all of these and I'm addicted. It's funny but without being smack funny, which is rare. Also, it feels like there's a purpose beyond the funniness, because they're always interesting and often thought-provoking, but I'm giggling half the time too. Love :D
jobelle516 chapter 21 . 1/12/2015
In my studies I had to read Year of Wonders by Geraldine Brooks. This took my heart to Eyam, and if ever there were somewhere I could visit, it would be Eyam, Hopevalley, Derbyshire S32.

Make the most of the opportunities you are given. This you seem to be doing and I'm happy for you.

When you travel, resist the standard 'tourist' food courts and shops, step aside and look for the footsteps of the ordinary everyday folk. They are the moments when you'll really be stopping to smell the roses, and soak up the atmosphere of peace and quiet.
DutchAver chapter 21 . 1/12/2015
Welcome to Europe! Been to the UK a few times, but sadly I've never visited anything beyond London and Dover. Hoping to go to London some time this spring, though. Awesome that you're studying abroad!

Also, any chance that, apart from Spain, France or Denmark, you'll attend the Netherlands too? I'd love to meet you, if that's all right with you, of course. ;)
Kelery chapter 16 . 9/30/2014
Did you know that my daughter was about 10 years old when she copied parts of your story into one about her favorite characters? She was a fifth grader making up stories and sharing them with friends. I think she likely had no idea that what she made was being shared with anyone who had access. I'm not saying that what she did was right. It seems like she took down the story and I've never had reason to suspect a single plagiarized word since, but you were very immature in the way you handled it. A simple message notifying her that you can tell your work was copied and requesting that it be removed was all you had to do. Instead you decided to swear at and threaten a child. Bravo.

"Or maybe I'll contact the Elizabeth Arden perfume company and tell them know you plagiarized a line from their perfume ad in your "original" severswift story and have big corporate lawyers after your **. Either way, **'s going down if you keep copying my work."

Lovely words for a 10 year old girl to receive. There are better ways to confront those who plagiarize than threatening them and sending passive aggressive messages. This is the internet, you don't know who you are talking to so next time be more discerning with your words.
Dill Wilson chapter 20 . 7/14/2014
Because you were in a nightclub with other people around perhaps self-consciously you knew there was a safety net. If he ignored your request and continued his quest you could always make a scene and attract the attention of others in the room. Had this been at some house party and you were dancing alone with him in the cellar perhaps you would have had less of a safety net. I am sure there are those who will read this piece and not think to highly of you for whatever (judgmental or stereotypical) reasons they come up with but your honesty is striking and your writing real. And you raise good questions to ponder.
jobelle516 chapter 17 . 5/3/2014
A fellow fan fic friend, he wrote a great love story. And then so many years later, met the love of his life. Weird! But it was very nice.
jobelle516 chapter 16 . 5/3/2014
I won't look for me, anymore. So did the person take your story down, the one they pretended was theirs? How stupid are they?

I love most, your number three to plagiarizers. Not only do they need to look out for Karma, but the Author lurking behind the lamp post or in the dark corner.

I'm enjoying these little essays. Where do I find a copy of BDTR?
jobelle516 chapter 1 . 5/3/2014
Team Albert. I totally dig intelligent guyz. As for Teacher who had me under his spell? Hmm, my Religious Education teacher. He is what we thought was gay, in that he dressed impeccably nice and gentlemanly, but had a lispy sort of voice. I adored him, and would argue, just to engage his wrath. His argument I received, unfortunately though, never his wrath.

Sigh!
Ventracere chapter 19 . 3/17/2014
Hey Oh. Lin-alg and inadvertent conflicts with teachers. This is the type of writing I think I could be able to find in "50 Essays: an Anthology." You hit the humor where it counts, and at the same time it isn't outlandish that it doesn't apply to most people. To be fair, I haven't taken Lin-Alg, but for what it's worth, logical reasoning sounds like it has its benefits and its detraction, which you were able to perfectly capture in your writing.

I think most of all the thing that caught my eyes/brain really, was your tone. It isn't completely "rant", in fact, it's not at all. Your reasoning is sound, and you proactively display both the pros and cons as well as your potential faults and strengths, which I do really appreciate. Funny how you mention how the email you wrote to your professor was passive aggressive, which in this case, I think you were a little here, but that helped your case.

Your kicker was also rather poignant. "The first: a general understanding of linear algebra. The second: a lesson in being a more considerate person. That's quality teaching right there." - best subtle double edge.
Jitterbug Blues chapter 19 . 3/17/2014
Haha, so you know - I'll just say that I liked the prose of this, and the witty nature of it. So much fun to read, so much joy - I'm grinning while reading and I'll re-read again, after dropping my worthless two cents. But yes, this was a joy to read, because I’m re-taking Maths now for my IT conversion course, after YEARS of not using it, and I can really feel your pains XDD (I study Maths the same way you do, by the way).

And yeah, I liked how you used Maths in this story, incorporating it in many clever and delightful ways. I’m one of those crazy people who wanted to be well-rounded, so I embrace any mixing of disciplines, be it English with IT, or Maths with the written word. I believe that a person should love all subjects, because there’s more fun to be had this way XDD.

I enjoyed reading this on a very personal note too, because you sound really awesome and witty (and we're polar opposites in a way. I'm the English major who's suddenly decided to pursue a STEM subject, though she's writing her dissertation in English. XDD. I will admit Maths is more fun for me than anything humanities related. I dropped out a linguistic class today, because of how much I didn't care for it.)
Epic Myth chapter 3 . 2/2/2014
The moment I read the title, I was like... pfffffffffffft! This definitely has nothing for me, I lost over achievement when I was in 8th grade. But I read on, and of course, you always got that curve ball that makes me think twice.

In a way... I cannot relate to this. You had me hung by upper-middle class, and I'm like, what does upper-middle class look like? White picket fence? Two cars. Comfortable standards of living? Actually having competition surround you, instead of being surrounded by a bunch of yakking, mush-for-brains hyenas?

Is this place... trap free?

No, but seriously, I've grown up in an environment where skating is 24/7 and nobody does there homework, they copy the person who did. Eventually, I got tired of having people copied my homework, so I stopped doing it, and copied others too.

It's unfortunate that I was pushed into advance classes around the time I got that mentally. It's also unfortunate I started playing football, and that mentally didn't shake off until I realized I graduated high school without learning much. Definitely not in the math department.

Yeah, over-achiever isn't me.

More like failure. Football didn't work out. I tried track and field but I made the mistake of quitting that to play football. I wanted to wrestle but I didn't get approved medically, mostly because I waited too long to see a physician.

Eh. Y'know what. If I wasn't trying to be a good person, I would like to be like Kate and achieve greatness and only have my eyes on being greater no matter on the others I step on.

But I'm not... I don't like to step on people. I care too much. I checkered by transgressions, even while in the military.

But... the good news in. People like me because I don't go out of my way to be an ass-hat. I'm proud of that, at least.

/End of Soapbox. (You're making me open up a lot... damn you, lol)
118 | Page 1 2 3 4 .. Last Next »