Reviews for Operetta a la Jessica
SmashedIce.X chapter 1 . 6/7/2011
Wow - this blew my mind! Amazingly written, I literally couldn't stop reading this, it hooked me from the start. :)
Gilee7 chapter 1 . 5/28/2011
[orchards were walls go unclimbed] *where*

The first time I read through this it was like imagery overload. But I love how, after reading it a few more times, the multiple images begin to form a story, kind of like one of those flipbooks where the pictures form an animation. That comparison isn't very good, though, because it seems to belittle your beautiful writing. So, instead of one of those flipbooks, imagine an amazing painter doing the same thing with his portfolio. Or something. LOL, I have no idea what the hell I'm talking about.

You've written several poems about Jessica. Each one I've read has felt very personal. This one is no different. I love the injection of people like Judy Garland and Mozart and Stevie Nicks (I love me some Stevie Nicks, btw) into the poem, along with song lyrics, which all adds to the personal feeling of the poem- these shared memories. (Quite cultural, too, I might add.)

I think this image- "a snow globe / left unturned"- perfectly describes what takes place in the poem. Snow globes are very beautiful, but you never see there true potential unless you turn them upside for a brief second and make it snow. I think that's a perfect metaphor for anyone who's life is taken too early.
Moondog Dozier chapter 1 . 5/11/2011
Always astounding and unique. Haven't read much lately, but it seems that you continue to fit such unconventional things together with a precise speed and connection that works like they were meant to fit. "Stevie Nicks", "Mozart", "Wagner", and "Vivaldi". Can't go wrong with any of those from a sound standpoint. Thought provoking and refreshingly original. MD:77.
no.peace.los.angeles chapter 1 . 5/7/2011
Wow, this is beautiful. I get the importance behind a piece like this, and how personal it is for you, with all these things that have meaning to you. I love that. And I love the stream-of-consciousness to this, too. It's one of my favorite types of writing, personally. Lovely. Keep writing! :)