Reviews for One Size Fits All
Lithium of Mercy chapter 1 . 5/29/2011
Wow. Wow. Wow.

I really love this! I thought at first that it was going to be a collection of short stories featuring different characters. I was pleasantly surprised when you actually tied the two stories together. I thought that just reinforced your message so nicely. I also really, really like Fleming's character. Is it weird that I found something 'odd' about him early on, even before you revealed what he really is? After you revealed his identity in the store I just knew that he wasn't human. It was a nice touch to actually tell us what he is - a lot of people probably would have left it blank.

Is it wrong of me to think of Fleming's wife as being kind of a jerk? Probably. It just seems like he really cared for Grace quite a bit, and for her to say what she did, well, that was uncalled for. But I guess she had her reasons.

I had this weird feeling that Grace wasn't fat. I don't know why, but I did. And then when I found out that she was an actress, I realized that most actresses are expected to be skinny, and so what she calls being 'fat' is actually probably closer to an average human size. I pitied her character, because I know what it feels like to always have that fear of your own body.

I'm glad that I found this story when I did - I was having a bad body-image day and was just sitting around hating myself for being 'fat.' I've often struggled with self-loathing due to weight. This story helped me a lot. Even though it's a morbid story, your underlying message is hopeful and preaches acceptance, and I like that. I've used the same methods Grace has, and for that reason when you revealed the image of her death, I didn't think it was over the top at all - that's literally what it's like. People glorify bulimia and bulimic tendencies and act like it's a perfect solution. It needs to be portrayed as the sickening and disgusting thing that it really is, and you did that. I'm glad that you chose not to shy away from the icky details, like many would have.

Well, thank you for writing this, and great job!