Reviews for Meet Me at the Altar
this wild abyss chapter 1 . 3/11/2012
I think you have a strong start here. The writing is pretty good and flows well, making things pretty easy to follow.

I haven't read a ton of romances, but from just this there isn't anything unusual to make me want to come back. It all seems pretty standard with your typical genre conundrums. Like I said, I don't really pay attention to romance, but maybe you could figure out a way to make this jump out a little more?
noriepie chapter 1 . 3/11/2012
hehe first chapter!

I couldn't actually see much changes, so far very introductory stuff.

This story is keeping me on my toes because I'm not sure how it's going to develop between main character and her love lol.

There was one paragraph that was a bit fishy to be honest, it was "The woman was scribbling away frantically on the small information sheet Nora had handed her, filling the margins of the page with extra information that wouldn't fit in the small spaces Nora had included for each of the questions. She glanced over to see what photo Liam was looking at and she huffed."

When first introducing Liam I though 'she' was referring to Nora because of the third person POV so I was a bit confused how Nora knew Liam and could huff at him lol. Other than that, next chapter :D
Whirlymerle chapter 8 . 3/10/2012
I feel like in the beginning, you could use some more showing and not telling. For instance, the couple that Nora is taking photos for are "relatively attractive" and "without huge flaws". These sort of descriptions are pretty vague and not really effective in adding anything to the writing. Since Nora is a photographer, I'm sure she'll notice more than that.

I liked the dialogue, because I thought it was very realistic. I also enjoyed how you can make a photo session so interesting, with Liam blurting out that he didn't want to marry his fiancee, and have Nora consider that.

Merle
Don'tStopMeNow chapter 1 . 3/9/2012
So first the good: I really enjoyed the fact that the characters can truly be considered down to earth and real. There was no point that I thought, 'that would never happen'. I also love the complexity of her being this under appreciated/poor photographer. The character therefore are more likable because I can relate to their strengths, weaknesses, and thoughts.

Now my criticism: I thought that the imagery was a little too much. I found myself at points barely skimming the bulkier paragraphs. I also think that you should ease on how much information you put into one chapter, it seems a bit rushed, it might be better to have little characteristics and whatnots be portrayed naturally and bring things up like the hook-up between them when relevant, it felt sort of random to bring it up suddenly.

I am not pretending to know too much about writing, it is just how I felt about this story so far. So you may totally disagree with what I say and keep it exactly how it is, I just hope that I helped in some way. :)
Dr. Self Destruct chapter 7 . 3/9/2012
Though the transition from Nora's POV to Liam's POV was a bit jarring (I didn't expect to be learning so much about him), I did like the chance to be able to learn more about him and his relationship with his wife, because I think it shows you might intend to use him as a major character later on in the story. I'm wondering if something is going to happen between Liam and Nora - that's the only reason I can think of that would explain why there was so much attention put toward him and his wife's predicament in this chapter.

I didn't like that the narrative would sometimes become very overloaded with information, at times making the chapter drag (especially the opening paragraph of the section where they were cake testing). Make sure when you go into detail about something that it pertains to the plot or is important in character development - random facts about a person's past, personality, or how they reacted to something a long time ago, sometimes isn't really needed and might give the reader the desire to skim.
Aldrea-Draco chapter 1 . 3/9/2012
Hey there! I had to leave a review as anonymous since I've already reviewed this chapter and I saw you wanted some more feedback on the rewrite.

Anyways, from what I remember of this chapter the first time I read it, it's nice to see a little more information filtered into the prose itself. From what I can recall, I remember it being a little more bare-bones the first time I read it, but now the narrative was a lot more engaging. The pacing was a lot better as well, especially when the characters were going from one place to the next, and the dialogue was well done (but I don't think that was an issue before anyways). I only have two things I really wanted to suggest:

The first is more just a minor detail, but I'm a little confused about the relationship between Tristan and Nora. From the way she asks him about how his trip was to go see HIS family, it doesn't sound like they're blood related, or perhaps just half-brother and sister. But then later you make it sound as if something happened between Nora and Tristan during that frat party, then the mention of incest came up. So I just think you might want to make it a little clearer on how exactly their relationship is structure, like if they're really extended family, related only through someone in the family's marriage, or just really good friends to the point where they feel like brother/sister.

The only other thing I have to nit-pick is to be a little careful with your adjectives. Too much description can slow a narration down and give the reader the desire to skim, as can extra words (this is what is known as 'purple-prose'). Now, there's nothing wrong with being descriptive, but make sure you save those parts for things that really matter - it'll make them really stick into the reader's mind that way.

Anyways, this is shaping up very nicely in your rewrite. Good luck with the rest of it and don't get discouraged - I know how tiring it can sometimes be to redo everything. :)
Lady of romance world88 chapter 8 . 3/9/2012
Love it and i want more

Aww poor Liam. :( Hope that Liam and Brooke should talk about it before something goes wrong between them.

A wedding is big step and Brookse ned to take it easy.

Please update soon

And can't wait to read more of this story :)
Embarrassed chapter 1 . 3/8/2012
I like Nora's character, I know you haven't had much time to really delve in, but she seems very real, in the sense that she isn't overly perfect and clearly has some strengths and weaknesses.

I did want a bit more background on Tristan in terms of introduction though, as he seems to just appear out of nowhere.

I did like it quite a bit though, it has promise and I hope to read more :)

Technical stuff

[and the all Nora could think about] you could either get rid of the "the" here or say "all that"

{Nora finally got the girl...] the girl hasn't really been introduced yet, so I would either mention her or change the sentence to something like, "the girl she had to photograph"

[How was your family?] It tends to be said "How is?" rather than how was

[Her and Tristan] This should be "She and Tristan", at least I think..
noriepie chapter 9 . 3/7/2012
thanks for letting us know,

i hope the pause won't be that long and i'm looking forward to see the changes
SmokingEngraved chapter 9 . 3/6/2012
D: and this is why I don't read unfinished stories...but still, I love this plot and these characters too much, so yeah, I'll PM ya
BelleS212 chapter 9 . 3/6/2012
I really like the story, so I hope it wont be too long before you start posting again :)
silverstarazor chapter 8 . 3/5/2012
OOOhhhhhhhhh POST MORE :D
SmokingEngraved chapter 8 . 3/3/2012
:D continue!
mysorryeyescansee chapter 8 . 3/1/2012
I missed this story! Love the chapter! If he not completely in love with her then why the heck is he marrying her? He shouldn't have proposed. This kinda reminds me of The Wedding Planner :)
Ersa Crayold chapter 1 . 12/5/2011
Two words: romantic comedy. And I mean it xD.

The girl that plans weddings but hasn't had the chance to get her own yet. The male that has confidence in winning every girl he hits on ("What can I say? I'm just that good.") It's all very static. I feel. And while it isn't necessarily a bad thing, I think for ppl with low attention spans it might be hard to keep their attention.

Another thing you might want to consider working on is a more captivating ending. Again this goes on that whole keeping the reader thing. Not that you have that problem I'm sure, with all your reviews and what not.

But still, endings like "One thing done, many more to go." is good...but it's not...vibrant. As in I'm not really hooked. And nor am I really interested in reading the next chapter.

All this being said, I have one last advice. There are no real rules in writing except for the ones you choose to abide.

And that goes for everything I've said up to this point. You can make the revisions I pointed out in the reviews, or just take it as the ramblings of anonymous fool from the internet _
228 | « Prev Page 1 .. 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 15 .. Last Next »