Reviews for Rosenrot
savor those enticing dreams chapter 1 . 6/16/2011
i love this writing of yours. it's beautiful, a true craft of words.

i have to say, though, i miss a little bit of your old work, the reality you wrote with.
SmashedIce.X chapter 1 . 6/7/2011
I was intrigued by 'grapefruit' in the summary. This was really good, I enjoyed reading it! :)
simpleplan13 chapter 1 . 6/4/2011
"it's edges"... its

As always a beautiful piece. Your descriptions are amazing. The third stanza was a great way to describe how frying an egg sounds.

I love the comparisons especially the part about the horizon in the second stanza.

The sock scuffing thing was great too because I do that all the time. The ending was my favorite part though. The personification and the formatting were beautiful.

PS Check out the Review Game and/or its Review Marathon (links in my profile).
no.peace.los.angeles chapter 1 . 5/28/2011
Beautiful poem. And even with all this imagery throughout, telling this wild story, the most powerful part of the poem is the last part, "stay here." Gorgeous. Keep writing! :)
Gilee7 chapter 1 . 5/28/2011
Anytime I visit your page I know that I can just click on any random poem and be blown away. I've always been in awe of your talent. I wish it was easier for poets to make a living through their work, because you should be rolling out collection after collection and making tons of money. You deserve a much bigger audience than what you get here. Your work is too damn good.

This poem is excellent. I love the imagery, the intensity, the ambiguity. I love the occasional use of alliteration. I love the rhythm. The first stanza is a knockout. I must've read it aloud about a dozen times.

The poem seems to become a bit more literal once "our socks scuff the floor." Perhaps just because we, the readers, then have a picture of a couple, and we begin to really get a sense of the speaker's yearning and the emotion of the scene.

Other than the excellent first stanza, I guess my second favorite lines would be: "convinced / myself that / eternity is grasping / the curve at the / back of your neck".

I was curious, so I looked up the word "rosenrot." Apparently it's German for "red like roses." That definitely seems like an appropriate title, especially when one considers the things that red generally symbolizes. I think the symbolism of roses is very fitting, too. When we think of roses, we think of love, dating, Valentine's Day, etc. But roses have thorns and they eventually die. "Red like roses" also gives me a picture of the speaker's face- the passion/emotion in her cheeks, the blood rushing, etc.

You can expect to receive a shitload of reviews from me in the next few days.
cab fed hig chapter 1 . 5/16/2011
this is immensely powerful with so many intriguing scenes, a wondrous culmination.

you use such intense and ambiguously meaningful phrases that this will satisfy everyone.
YasuRan chapter 1 . 5/15/2011
Great first stanza. It immediately had me hooked, not to mention creating a lovely mental image.

Taken as a whole, the poem is a lush series of images that evoke plenty of thought through the narrator. I sense plenty of themes not limited to: sexuality, funerals, time amongst others. The last stanza before the closing lines had me a bit confused at the beginning though. But I do like 'sip the stones/from the pond/fulfill myself'.