Reviews for Trying Hard
chibikodo chapter 7 . 7/14/2012
Progress is always a good thing. Not sure if Joe's patience makes him a saint or just a very patient man. But I think I need to reread because I can't recall if we ever found out why Denny has intimacy issues. S'been a while.
Wanda Walker chapter 6 . 10/9/2011
You're right, it is a bit like 14 Nights. :D Though I do imagine the anti-depressants have something to do with the randomness of the erections. One person I remember was saying he couldn't use condoms because he was on anti-depressants so he'd lose his erection at random times and the condom would fall off. D8

Oh, the things I know thanks to the internet . . .

Anyway, I know I haven't managed to review any of your work yet, but I do think you're a great writer. Your characters are always so realistic and human. :)
LyingOutLoud chapter 6 . 9/30/2011
So, normally I'm pretty crap at leaving reviews, but it's absolutely ridiculous how few of them this story has.

I love how you straddle the fine line between how comfortable they are together and how uncomfortable Denny is at the same time. It's also very intriguing how Denny manages to keep not only Joe in the dark, but also the reader. This story could very easily be too heavy-handed to be pleasant to read, but you keep it from being so.

Wonderful story; thank you for sharing!
Enchantedflame chapter 6 . 9/30/2011
You're right, they are like an old married couple in a way haha. I hope that they can work things out and the Denny can be happy just being with Joe. I think it's getting there though.
Enchantedflame chapter 5 . 9/14/2011
They peed together even? That part was funny. I enjoy the two of them together and I wish Denny could figure out what is going on with himself
alexandra123 chapter 5 . 9/12/2011
You're such a slow updater and it's the kind of torture that brings tears to my eyes. but each time 'Trying Hard' ends up at the top of my favourites after having fallen down a couple of spots it is like a new day after the worst storm ever! And then when you glance down at the chapter count and there is one more chapter; a fresh, newly uploaded chapter, these giddy tingling little feelings in my stomach rise and erupt in form of squeals...

This is what you do to me and I think you're doing it on purpose...

Love the characters. My favourite part is how you DON'T describe them down to the exact centimetre of their height. Or the exact colour of their eyes, nor the colour of their hair in different kinds of lights or their exact bone structure. thank you for not making them perfect!

Also, your language. I am jealous! I wish I could write like that but alas as a non-native english speaker i am doomed to never write perfect english in my life... *sigh*
S.H. Marr chapter 4 . 7/14/2011
I've been paying attenetion, but I'm not entirely sure what's wrong with Denny...but then, I know very little about these srots of things, I guess.

But I am extremely interested to find out. I have to say, I'm rooting for Joe, here.

I worry about Denny, and am extremely interested in discovering his issue.

S
frogs of war chapter 4 . 7/13/2011
Not a happy rainbow ride, but fairly realistic. Denny has things he just won't talk about. Joe loves him and is worried.

You might want to glance over the italics in this. I don't know if anything can be done, but the end of the italics goes over the start of the next words. At least in the view I'm in.
Zeekyboogydoog chapter 4 . 7/11/2011
Liking this story so far-the characters are believable, and the plot is compelling. I'm definitely looking forward to more. Thanks for posting, and update when you can!
Qui chapter 4 . 7/11/2011
I don't think anyone will ever accuse you of writing a rainbows and sunshine story.

I like that about your writing, though. Realistic characters, universe out to get them, eventual success, and a happish ending (at least until the sequel).

Cheers,

Qui
Can We Swap Owls chapter 3 . 7/8/2011
Good god you're hitting my sexual deficiency kink hard. Thank you ;_;
Can We Swap Owls chapter 1 . 7/8/2011
I just found this one and I'm really liking it even though I can already tell that it's going to be a little too real for me. I always like reading your stories. Grammar seems to come so easy to you. I'm a little jealous.
Qui chapter 2 . 6/23/2011
Aw, this is so sweet. In a not-very-sweet way. I love how you always come up with different, but still realistic, situations for your characters to be in. And then you have them be all believable in their reactions and interactions and so forth. You've got a real gift.

Cheers,

Qui
Potatoe1988 chapter 1 . 5/27/2011
Hello! Just going through the prompt responses now, as I compulsively leave things until later.

This looks like it's going to be a really interesting story. I like that it's not obvious what Joe is thinking. Sometimes things are obvious to the reader but not the other characters, which just ends up making them look stupid. So well done on subtlety.