Reviews for A Place in Space
Dreamers-Requiem chapter 1 . 6/10/2011
A really lovely story. I liked the almost-childlike quality it has to it, but there's a mature feeling to it, too. Like...Mal losing his innocence, maybe? Man, his sister's a little mean. But overall, a wonderful piece; I thoughly enjoyed reading it. The descriptions were really good, and I liked the interaction between Mal and the star; again, a mix of maturity and innocence. Again, lovely stuff.
winteredspark chapter 1 . 6/8/2011
Wow. W-o-w. This was grotesque and amazing wrapped into one. For something so simple, it packed a punch.

I loved Mal's character. You portrayed him perfectly as that innocent little boy who would get trapped outside by a bratty sister who wanted to make out with her boyfriend. I can totally see this happening in my head.

And before I go on..I ADORE his name. Malory. It fits his character wonderfully; in this piece he both outgrows it and grows into it fully.

Favorite lines:

("He found the backdoor locked and only when it became clear that he would not cease knocking did his sister thump down the stairs, blaspheming and rubbing at the hickies on her neck.

"Count them again," she said.")

I can totally see that in my head, lol. The sister's grumbling, and Mal's rather simple agreement, as though he really thinks his sister knows best. Although, in the end, we all want to please our older siblings, really, right?

("It depends on what you mean by hurt. There are three kinds of abuse. Emotional, physical, and uh, the other one." He averted his eyes like he was saying a dirty cuss or perhaps what he was talking about was just too personal. "I've experienced two of the three.")

Those lines let me down just a lil bit, only because I wanted to know what the heck the third kind of pain was, and you never quite revealed it. Or maybe I'm just blind, and you really did :p

At the end, the boy was so adorable, doing a whole one-eighty, from his "I'm doomed to this" to "yay, I'm free!"

I loved, loved, loved this. I don't know what you envious of; your writing is really powerful, and it drew me in. Favoriting, and I can't wait to read more from you :D
emmycat chapter 1 . 6/4/2011
I really liked this. I rushed reading it a little, but the feeling is still there. I remember thinking that Mal should be some kind of genius, to be able to honestly say he had counted all the stars.

It reminded me of this, I hope you'll take the time to watch it :)

post/5501913290
Rainbow35 chapter 1 . 6/4/2011
I liked this story, because it's kind of cute, and also kind of mystical.

I liked the other (apparently nameless) boy, because he seemed mysterious, and older than he seemingly was. I thought it was a bit weird that he turned into a star at the end, but it was also kinda cool.

[Ps. Review Marathon! Link in my profile]
Deedee Elle chapter 1 . 6/2/2011
This is beautiful and I think it would make a really good story for children with a few tweaks. It reads very poetically and the ending is a real tearjerker.

I'm not sure you need the explanation of what Mal is a shortened form of, it doesn't add to the story.

The description of the boy relating him to horror movies is good and the description of the vines and woods is particularly sinister.

(Found via Roadhouse)
toukenjen chapter 1 . 6/1/2011
This was lovely.

Very descriptive, and so beautifully visual. I wish I had more intelligent things to say.

I thoroughly enjoyed it!
Poisoned Twinkles chapter 1 . 5/30/2011
For some reason, I could feel tears in my eyes.

I just love how this story reminded me of The Little Prince. I love Mal's character for the innocent, clever boy he is. The tone and theme of the story really moved me because I felt like I could relate to Mal.

The descriptions you used were lovely, and the conversation between Mal and the star just hit the right spot. I'm really glad I read this.