Reviews for The Horrors of Mpreg
Legion13 chapter 1 . 1/28
While I don't particularly like mpreg either, bashing the topic and the people who make stories based on that topic makes you no better than them. If people want to write mpreg, let them do it. No one asked you to read mpreg stories, so complaining about won't make them go away. This is FictionPress, a place where your imagination is permitted to run wild, so if thats true, why can't people write mpreg fics?
RayGin chapter 1 . 1/21
First of all, this essay was amusing. It made me laugh because of how a subject I've always taken to be a laughable load of bullshit was made serious to me and actually made me think of the issue.
Secondly, it's about time someone called people out on this. I have read two MPreg stories. One I enjoyed because despite all the terrible stereotypes it had, at its core, it had the best illustration of love I've ever seen. The second was just downright offensive. So needless, to say MPreg has claimed a small place in my heart to be abhorred.
Also I'd like to point out somehing that you didn't mention in the essay, that I feel should be addressed. MPreg is, though it may not be intended to be, homophobic. Or at least borderline homophobic. As a gay man, I have found many fan fictions with gay pairings to be extremely homophobic. Though this may be more out of naïveté as most fanfiction is written by young teenage girls who aren't old enough to fully understand sexuality simply because of lack of experience with homosexual couples. Not to call them stupid, it's just to complex of an issue for a 14 year old to understand. I mean, I'm 18 and a gay man myself and there are still things I'm discovering about my sexuality).
Anyway, many fanfiction works with gay couples tend to support stereotypes that were created to make homosexual more "normal" I.e. In any gay relationship there is a male and female.
MPreg just furthers that stereotype by making a character more female.
And this is rather harsh. Especially if you have to live it. So often I have had people ask me whether I was the girl or the guy in a relationship, or even worse just declare me the "girl". This is so wrong. My sex is male and my gender, despite how effeminate I may act from time to time, is male. When someone tries to force another gender on me because I'm gay and not the manliest person it really is hurtful. I am not the man of the relationship, nor am I the woman. I am simply one half of a relationship and that is beautiful and enough. And people who make the roles in any relationship, real or fictional, so black and white have no understanding of how people behave and how complex sexuality is. Although you made gender and sexuality a bit black and white it was to enforce a point that has more truth in it than "gender is a complicated issue" will ever have. Writers who write with black and white gender roles have no true understanding of how vastly different the mechanics of a homosexual relationship can be from a heterosexual one.
So, to kind of end this essay length comment, thank you for writing this. It really has taken way to long for someone to do this and I wish I had thought of fighting against this stereotyping sooner.
littleanemonefish chapter 1 . 1/5
First of all, you're taking fiction way too seriously. Calm down.

Number two, your view of sex and gender is way too black and white. Do some reading about the psychology and biology of sex, gender, and sexuality. It's a huge spectrum and you can't generalize it to suit your needs like you have here. This essay makes you seem very ignorant about that fact.

Lastly, though, I guess I kind of get where you're coming from. I used to hate mpreg. Despised it. I'm a female, I have absolutely no desire to ever get pregnant and have a baby, and I am also a huge proponent of adoption, I may one day adopt. I think the first "mpreg" (and I put it in quotation marks because it's not necessarily male pregnancy, since the author has basically created a hermaphroditic race for her story) was a published book called Sacred Fate, The Chronicles of Ylandre Book One by Eressë. It's fantastically written, and after reading it I began to see the benefits of mpreg as a plot point in fantasy and science fiction stories, that for example involve shifters, magic, or aliens. Since all of these things are already fictional and unexplainable in relation to our real world, when it's well written, mreg doesn't take anything away from such stories, and sometimes even adds to them. I'm still not a fan of mreg in otherwise completely realistic stories where the author just happens to decide that they want their male character to become pregnant, but that is simply my opinion and I have a right to it, as you have a right to yours. But everybody who writes all forms of mreg, and those who read and enjoy it also have a right to their opinions just like you and I. If you want to seem at least somewhat intelligent and convincing, don't end an opinion essay with questionable "facts" and points by telling "Don't write it" to people who have every right to write what they want, because they will just laugh at you and continue writing whatever they please.
Wikivikiki chapter 1 . 12/28/2013
This is amazing!
Guest chapter 1 . 10/27/2013
I think it's disgusting the way these girl fetishize pregnancy.
Guest chapter 1 . 10/27/2013
Also, the people that write mpreg aren't really interested in gay male relationships. They're interested an extremely effeminate, extremely submissive "male" having creepy, kinky sex with a super masculine, alpha male. It's pretty sexist if you think about it; they force the characters into to extreme gender roles, one of which doesn't even correspond with the character's gender. It'd be interesting to look into the psychology of it.
Guest chapter 1 . 8/10/2013
I completely agree with you!
Thank you for voicing your thoughts on this... abomination. Sometimes I feel like I'm all alone out there ;)
Hoa chapter 1 . 7/25/2013
First of all I just wanted to warn you that english is not my native language, so in case you find my sentences hard to understand... My bad. I do my best.

I just wanted to react to some points, because I really don't like the way you are talking to fanfiction's authors even if you don't like what kind of fictions they write. What's allowing you to order someone not to write a story just because the topic don't suit you ?
Your text is pompous, I could even say arrogant. You are totally free to give an opinion about something that disturb you, but not to insult writers and readers for whom mpreg is cool. Next time you'd better have to say ''I don't like that because of my personnal tastes that involve only me" instead of "this is a huge shit because I don't like it, and if you like it, you suck".

And to finish in contrary I'd rather say that someone with a high biology level of knowledge is far more subject to write mpreg stories than someone who didn't care at all about biology. I'm a male, and know quite well (euphemism) about biology, and oooh I sometimes read mpreg stories. Just because a well written mpreg fiction is a good fiction, and can be enjoyable. And of course because if you have a huge interest in something (biology, human reproduction...), you like to ''test'' limits, or searching for what can be or cannot be possible... And it's just a question of dream or fantasm... Besides, if you are reading a Fantasy story, a lot of things aren't biologicaly allowed considering ''our'' real world (my god, how can Lord Voldemort kill someone by shaking a fucking piece of wood in the air ?). So, what's the matter whit mpreg ?
Baconnaisse chapter 1 . 6/3/2013
Personally, I also dislike mpreg immensely. That being said, I like a lot of things others would deem disgusting, impossible, or morally questionable. I know that it makes me feel awful when people attack my interests, but at the same time I understand. People have different tastes and they will write whatever they enjoy most. To tell them they ought to stop shows a lack of tolerance. Do you need to understand or enjoy mpreg? Hell no! Just look the other way.

Honestly, even the thought of being pregnant as a woman repulses me. It's like you have a parasitic life form growing inside you. When you give birth, it will be wrinkly bald creature with buggy eyes that requires your attention every waking moment. Nothing is more hideous, in my opinion, than a baby; especially a newborn one. I cannot understand the desire to have children, nor the desire to care for one. If fanfiction authors want to project their maternal instincts onto male characters, then that's their business. I want no part of it. I'm perfectly capable of living a fulfilling life without procreating. Any characters I write about will likely be the same in that respect.
SMR chapter 1 . 5/23/2013
YES! YES! You have perfectly expressed my feelings on the subject! You are awesome!
demorgorgon chapter 1 . 4/12/2013
MARRY ME please you win the internet
Guest chapter 1 . 4/8/2013
Actually, it has been proven by scientist that a male human can, indeed, carry a baby. The question though is whether or not the male can carry the baby to full term and give birth without the cost of his life. You might want to try and do a little more research before you bash.

P.S. If I recall the GRs correctly, non story content isn't allowed. Reported.
dragondrivestory chapter 1 . 2/20/2013
When I got done reading this I thought maybe you could have been writing this as a satirical piece because hey, in my mind how can any self-respecting author of fiction run around intentionally bashing on something others might enjoy. I mean, hey, I dislike (no I think hate is a better word) Twilight, but I would never openly bash Twilight fans or say that Stephanie Meyer is a horrible human being. Those are my opinions, and do you know where my opinions belong? To myself unless someone actually asks for them because there ARE people who like it and they have as much right to like sparkly Vampires who can knock up women with one-hundred year old dead sperm as I have a right to enjoy the fictional concept that a man got knocked up.

I have news for you and it's this, everyone here is a writer. Whether they write in English, Spanish or pure gibberish or they write about blue two-foot werewolves or men who somehow have a uterus they have as much right as you do to write about topics that they enjoy. However I don't know that many writers who have the self-loathing, egotistical sense that you do to approach people who have nothing to do with you and attempt to slap them in the face.

As an mPreg writer myself I fully admit to a few things. One, I am a female IRL and I am proud of it. Two, I do find the idea of male pregnancy to be a very unique and creative source for writing that not many enjoy. Three, I put a lot of thought and research into what I write while still trying to keep the fantasy edge that people want. By your definition most of my work is indeed hermPreg, but I do more than just claim that Tyler has all the bits and gets knocked up. Do I think that more mPreg writers should put more effort into their stories? Perhaps. But as a self-respecting author I cannot deny anyone the right to write about what they enjoy so long as it does not touch on the topic of pedophilia (as that is illegal in most cases). So if someone wants to write that Jack got knocked up by his boyfriend and had the baby three weeks later, hey, that's their right and if I don't like it then I don't have to read it.

That's alright though, not everyone has the sense that I do, that most writers on this website do. Some people like you have to fart out of their mouths and try to badmouth other people to make themselves feel important and that's ok, that's perfectly fine because at the end of the day all you did was put some pretty words on a page that had your opinion. My only issue with this is that it's on a fiction website, for fiction and that it's attempting to insult and demean other writers for what they enjoy.

In conclusion, I'm hardly insulted. All I see here is a pompous person who wants attention and who got it from me and a few other people. So you got what you were after, and I know that whether I'm insulting or praising you, you're going to feel as if you won. This message is as much to my fellow writers as it is to you. Write what you love, and never care what someone says because a true artist will work with topics that not everyone will enjoy because at the end of the day you have expressed yourself in one way or another.
HoodedCat chapter 1 . 1/15/2013
To a man, the process of bearing and delivering a child look(s?) disgusting and painful – the body is literally stretched and physically altered into a seemingly unnatural state, accompanied by screams and blood and pain.

huh? I always thought its the same for women...but I haven't tried it out... yet XD

Ps: usually i love to read other opinions but your essay was really over the top - not funny at all -.-'
anon chapter 1 . 1/14/2013
Potential solution from wikipedia:

Robert Winston, a pioneer of in-vitro fertilization, told London's Sunday Times that "male pregnancy would certainly be possible" by having an embryo implanted in a man's abdomen – with the placenta attached to an internal organ such as the bowel – and later delivered by Caesarean section.[10][11][12] Ectopic implantation of the embryo along the abdominal wall, and resulting placenta growth would, however, be very dangerous and potentially fatal for the host, and is therefore unlikely to be studied in humans.[10][13] Gillian Lockwood, medical director of Midland Fertility Services, a British fertility clinic, noted that the abdomen is not designed to separate from the placenta during delivery, hence the danger of an ectopic pregnancy. "The question is not 'Can a man do it?'" stated bioethicist Glenn McGee. "It’s ’If a man does have a successful pregnancy, can he survive it?’"[11]

wiki/Male_pregnancy