Reviews for The Rating System
Gilee7 chapter 1 . 6/28/2011
[fuck / the / rating / system]- Damn straight!

[the rating system is bourgeouis] *bourgeois*

[like speech / free flowing down the / sidewalk street ditch concrete / crack]- I like the imagery. It's flowing with all the dirt and spit and garbage; discarded gum and used condoms floating in a mini-river of filth. The street imagery transitions nicely into the next lines as well: "pave / the / way".

[so rotted and sticky / and sick they make your muscles / clench, and fists ball into microfiber / and maleficent evasion]- Great word choices. I'm starting to feel like I need a shower.

[cheek / exploding in an unprecedented / O proclamation]- I like the twist on the whole "turn the other cheek" saying; although I think maybe it should be *cheeks* instead, since it takes both of them to make that expression. And you need quotation marks around "O".

[of a breast exposed / on tv]- 'Sup, Janet Jackson? Still wearing the nipple jewelry?

[in between love-made / solidify opulent / bejeweled eye]- These lines are a mouthful, and not necessarily in a good way. Although I really like the rest of the stanza, especially the whole "sty" thing. Typical conservatives, trying to transform something "bejeweled" and beautiful into something ugly and infectious.

[as though your / name hadn't been said]- Up until these last two lines I just took the poem at face value, thinking it really was just an attack against the kind of people who try to censor everything. As any great poet would do, however, it seems you used "the rating system" as a metaphor, adding an extra level and a bit of ambiguity.

Nice job.
Louis Denair chapter 1 . 6/19/2011
I, too, find the 'sty' metaphor to be the definite highlight of this stimulating, disturbing declaration. The suggestion that words might be heavy is likewise inventive.
YasuRan chapter 1 . 6/18/2011
This is just one of those things I had to read through a couple of times to get where you're going. I think I have a smidgeon of an idea of what's going on though.

Secondly, 'bugoeus'. Ashamed to say I've never heard of that word. Is it made up because I can't seem to find a definition?

I rather like the line 'the kind of sty that stimulates the hungry conservatives into further annoying sparks of speech' and from thus forth. It's so true, not to mention 'sty' being a perfect term to describe the goings-on of contemporary media.

An interesting piece. Glad to have read it.