Reviews for The same old voodoo Judy Garland
Julius Julius chapter 1 . 7/9/2011
This poem feels very abstract to me, and much more playful than the 'eating blue birds' poem I read the other day. I'm not sure what to think of this one. What I like about your poetry is that it is very urbane and cosmopolitan. I can always find a word that I do not know or a new concept that would take a long time, such as reading a novel, to find and investigate. But you have it right here in the brevity of your poetry.

This voodoo woman conjures up interesting images to me. Because of the word voodoo, my mind insists on taking me to tribal amazonian places or cultures which practice voodoo. What I was trying to find in your poem is a way to figure out if she is metaphorically her own voodoo doll or if someone was her voodoo doll that she watched over. I can't really say much more than that because I don't fully comprehend it.

I think my favorite stanza is the first, where images of dead people, white trees, and music are haunting and surreal. I feel like you are very much at home here because you're very adept with painting surreal imagery. I like to do that with my own poetry. Sometimes writers try this stuff out and it ends up being much too macabre, and I'm guessing there is a fine line between surreal and the macabre.

Anyway I've rambled enough. This is a good piece to be sure.