Reviews for Tik and the Creature
Nesasio chapter 1 . 7/12/2011
Very cute interpretation of the prompt. I really liked how Tik was doing her own thing, despite social pressure to be interested in dress up and house. That made me like her a lot more, and also made me wonder a bit about some of the backstory to this. What was life like before the creature landed? And how did the creature end up trusting her? Obviously these aren't necessary in a short piece like this but if you ever thought of expanding this it'd be nice to know some of those things. :)

Nice work and good luck in the WCC!
Stephanie M. Moore chapter 1 . 7/8/2011
Oh! This was nice. I don't think I've ever read anything of yours before, but this was really good.

I am a little curious about Tik's age. At first, I was picturing a young child, because of the fact that she is called "Little Tik" and her mother believes she should be playing with dolls and dress up. But then, you say she should be meeting suitors soon, and she obviously has enough maturity to be trusted at her father' workplace, which makes me think that she may be a teenager.

You definitely have an interesting take on the prompt with the sci-fi tie in, but I think that the use of the water's color was a very nice touch. You did an excellent job of developing the creature's intelligence and humanity throughout the story, especially considering it's less than 2000 words.

Good work!
Dragon made me do it chapter 1 . 7/8/2011
Very cute! this is so is the kind of sci-fi that I like where there is every technology and character development.

I am curious about the society that this is based in because they have structured marriage planning and non-Anglo-Saxon names. I was particularly interested in the issue you raise about women working in science in this society. This might be an area you could expand on more if you add any more to this story.

'The colors of the plants were green, not the purple she knew, and the rocks were brown and black not green and yellow. Was this the creature's home world with its strange blue skys, and stranger yellow star?' - oh fantastic, the way you just hint that the creature might come from Earth. this is a clever device for giving us an outsider's perspective on human society.

Having trouble seeing the link to the prompt, perhaps this could be more overt.

Well done and good luck in the contest!

Spelling/grammar/typos etc:

'The creature had become so accustom to the little girl' - changed to accustomed.

'What kind of fascination was it for girl to have? ' - changed to something like 'What kind of fascination was this for a girl to have?'

pulled out the long blade she hand brought along with the two small knives

'The other things are devises that have power' - change to devices.

'Tike replied with a grin.' - change to Tik
Sophia Alexandra chapter 1 . 7/5/2011
this was cute! i like it. very unique story. i like stuff like this. check out my book paranormal agency if you want too.