Reviews for Giving Chase
EireGal chapter 4 . 2/14/2013
Please could you state that this is story is not available in its enterity on FP at start of ch 1 not at the end of ch 4. Not impressed with your marketing strategy.
anita darling chapter 42 . 12/11/2012
Okay, so, I read this because it was featured on A Drop Of Romeo—and my goodness am I glad that I read it. I know that I haven't reviewed up until this point, but I was so caught up in the story, I kept clicking next instead of review. I really enjoyed reading/seeing Frankie grow, even when she could be a little bit too caught up in her own world sometimes. I liked the ending, how everything turned out just dandy, but not impossibly so. Your writing is incredible, Miss Hannah Hooton, and I hope you never stop.
XOXO Anita
rosieroo chapter 1 . 12/9/2012
Hey there! I'm happy to tell you that your story has been added to A Drop of Romeo's archive, under the category of Miscellaneous! Here's your review:

Rosie Thinks: This story, like its predecessor, focuses on the world of National Hunt racing in England and the tumultuous relationship between top jockey Rhys and amateur jockey Frankie. I could tell from the very start that Hannah221 really knew what she was talking about, in regards to the racing world. All the racing scenes are described in such detail that you can tell she is really passionate about it. She doesn't use a whole lot of jargon, either, which makes it all easier to understand. I like horse racing but I've never been that into it, or even known much about National Hunt racing - hannah221, however, makes me want to be obsessed with it! I also very much advise looking up some photos or videos of this type of horse racing - it is pretty insane! Plus, it made me gain a deeper understanding of Frankie's feelings.

I liked how this story was so much more than the romance: it dealt with the racing industry, a number of family issues, and growing up. The journey that Frankie made from start to finish was noticeable and well portrayed. I really like Frankie's character, which is made even more interesting since she is a jockey. It was great getting an insight into the harsh pressure and her life. I like how she isn't similar to the other MCs of hannah221's stories either, so her personality is very clear-cut in my mind. Rhys was a well-developed, three-dimensional character as well, and I liked how he was a bit mysterious until the end.

This whole story is a great example of a perfectly paced, well thought out story. 'Giving Chase' was extremely well structured and not one scene seemed like a filler - they were all exciting, especially the beautifully written racing scenes! Hannah221 keeps you at the edge of the seat with the suspense, leaving tiny clues but not giving any of her twists away until the end. The only problem I could find was that sometimes there were paragraph breaks where they were not really needed. I understood that sometimes they were for dramatic effect, but other times they seemed a bit pointless. Although this story is sequel to 'Keeping the Peace' and, while I have read that one first, I don't think it'll effect your read if you start at this one (other than spoiling the ending of the first one, though). This story is definitely a well-crafted and engaging story that will take you on a roller-coaster of emotions.
Spacy-Book-Nerd chapter 42 . 11/27/2012
Every time I go to read the next story on I keep thinking, what am I doing? It won't be the same? It couldn't possibly be as good as the first story, or the second. Yet, I couldn't stop reading this story until I finished it similar to both following. Your characters always get me completely enthralled and I love the pairs so much each of them and whenever a new story starts it hurts a little that it is not about the originals. However, you make me love every character in the newest story just as much. I am also glad that Peace Offering finally won because that was well deserved. Please continue to make awesome and realistic stories such as these, it's refreshing to read horse stories with such depth and knowledge put into them.
Avide chapter 32 . 11/15/2012
In this chapter, I got another show of Frankie's surprising insecurity. She seems to have the core of a strong person. I hope she evolves and finds herself more at home in her own mind.
Daddy's Little Peach chapter 42 . 11/14/2012
I can't believe it's taken me so long to review the final chapter! I hate exams...

Anyway, congratulations on finishing! I'm sad it's over, but glad that you've overcome all the challenges and countless name changes along the way :)

I loved the tension you built up over both races, especially the National at the end - the way all those horses kept falling really made it quite ominous! And I'm glad Rhys got one up on his dad at the end - he sounded like such a tool!

And you should definitely write the follow up :)

Mish x
thenifoundfivedollars chapter 42 . 11/8/2012
I wanted to reread this story before reviewing it, but life got in the way and I feel so awful for not letting you know sooner how much I love not only this chapter but this story. It’s bittersweet, having Frankie and Rhys’ story come to an end, but you did a really fabulous job tying up all the loose ends and delivering a story that excels in characterization, plot, pacing, and everything that makes Giving Chase a truly enjoyable read.

The opening of the chapter was written beautifully. I love the descriptions of the bustling race day. Ta’ Qali’s scene not only served to highlight the fact that Frankie was correct about her assumptions (which was awesome because now she gets to keep her job and continue to work alongside Rhys so they can have, as I’ve said before, little horse-loving jump jockey babies!) but it also showed that Rhys believed in her enough to take her theory to heart. Brilliant scene.

Other standouts where Frankie’s emotions watching Rhys and Peace Offering, Pippa and Jack’s interactions (they’re adorable. I still need to read their story…), Rhys’ attempts to make things right with Doug by handing off the trophy (it’s nice to see those two finally getting along!), and Rhys’ subtle smiles and exchanges with Frankie between the races. However, what really made me grin like a food was the end. When Rhys was the victory and everything seemed to be working out, it was the love story I was most concerned about. And you definitely delivered. :)

Their ‘I love you’ exchange was sweet, and I absolutely adored the ending joke, bringing back the quote about winning the National being better than sex. I’m certainly going to go back through and read this one again, and I look forward to purchasing it once it’s in a published format. And not to bother you too much – but a sequel in the near future means you’re not rid of me yet.

Thanks for sharing. I really love Rhys and Frankie and their story was sweet and cute and believable and well-written. Best of luck to you and I hope the Aspen Valley stories continue to bring you joy and success!
No name chapter 42 . 11/4/2012
Very professional writing! Good job! Loved it and makes sence that u're published
larafrancesca chapter 42 . 11/1/2012
So sweet, what a wonderful ending! I look forward to Share And Share Alike :)
o chapter 42 . 11/1/2012
Brilliant story! I loved every chapter and the 'I love you' at the end was so perfect.
Anehalia chapter 42 . 10/28/2012
I loved this story! That finish was definitely a heart pounding finish. I also loved the scene at the end with Rhys completely ignoring his father. Way to go Rhys! This is an awesome story and I am glad you allow those of us on fiction press to read it. You are an amazing writer!
stuck in bed chapter 42 . 10/28/2012
I never reviewed because...well, okay, I don't really have an excuse. I just didn't. But now that it's the last chapter, I'm going to. First of all, amazing work. I really do not have good experiences connected to horses but somehow you've engaged me into the story. I followed not only the "romance" plot line but also the horse riding plot line which I would have never done if I hadn't been so invested in that section as well. All thanks to you and your brilliant writing.

Secondly, I really enjoyed your characterization. Lovely, truly. What really struck me in this particular chapter was "For the briefest of moments, Frankie wondered about the "what ifs". What if she had been the one riding? What if she'd kept the ride? Would she now have been a Grand National-winning jockey? The first female jockey in history to win the Grand National?" Of course, Frankie isn't perfect. She loves Rhys but...even I would have wondered that sort of thing in her position. I think it was very realistic.

Your dialogue was spot on. Each character had their own way of speaking and it was so...them. They each have their own ways of speaking and it really showed through your writing. Additionally, I also enjoyed how all of your story lines tied onto each other. All of them were tied off and none was left loose.

If I have to add some constructive criticism...well, whilst Rhys and Frankie's relationship wasn't predictable (as in, I would have never believed that they would have gotten together because of a bet) I just feel that Rhys could have done more explaining and pleading. Then again, Frankie is in love with him and is likely to be more lenient. I guess it's just me being picky.

I wish you all the best!
o chapter 41 . 10/18/2012
Yes! Perfect. :)

I can't wait for the next one.
thenifoundfivedollars chapter 41 . 10/15/2012
Oh man. This really is coming to an end.

Firstly, this was a beautiful chapter. I was not expecting Rhys to try and give up Peace Offering. Wow. If that’s not an apology coming from him, I don’t know what is.

'Please, Frankie. When you'd gone, I tried for a while to console myself with the fact that I still had the National ride, I still had the thing which meant most to me. But it didn't work. It made me realise that the National isn't the most important thing to me. You are.'

Definitely the best line of the story!

I almost wish there was more from their initial reunion, but I think that’s just me being a selfish reader. In all reality, it was believable and explained what we all assumed and what Frankie couldn’t see: he did honestly fall for her. I guess there’s plenty of time to wrap up the other loose ends.

The humor in the midst of the seriousness surrounding Frankie’s job depending on Ta’Qali’s results was a nice touch. I could picture perfectly Rhys’ reaction as he asked why she did that. I do hope it works out for Frankie’s sake, but she looks to be getting her happy ending anyway.

CAN NOT wait for the next one. But maaaan am I sad to see it’s already here.
Anehalia chapter 41 . 10/14/2012
I can't wait for the last chapter, and at the same time I never want it to come. I liked the get back together scene, that was sweet. He snores! Lol
228 | Page 1 2 3 4 11 .. Last Next »