Reviews for And This Is How It Goes
YasuRan chapter 1 . 10/15/2011
This review is courtesy of the Review Marathon (see link in my profile).

The one thing I absolutely enjoyed about this piece was the narrative voice: nice and colloquial, and I really got the impression of a naive, heart-worn character who views the world in a soft shade of grey. The bond between the two protagonists was quite realistic. It was heartbreaking to see how they couldn't end up together and yet, realistic in that one (he) wanted to be the 'new person' they wanted him to be while the other seemed content to be dragged around and was pitied for it.

The ending was lovely. Tragic but poignant in how it tied into how they began as a pair in crime. Great stuff, overall.
Devil's Playground chapter 1 . 9/26/2011
Wow I love your writing style. It's so unique and so moving and aah. I'm pretty sure I mentioned on your other story that I'm not usually a big romance story, but the unconventional romances that you write... I absolutely adore them.

I really liked the science fiction aspect of this story. I assumed it was just a realistic story from the beginning, and I loved it when it took that turn. I'm a total sci fi geek, and I love that you did it in a subtle and believable way.

"We're going on an adventure Lily. Together. Best of friends, out in space." - Argh, this line. There were a lot of excellent lines throughout this, but this one really stuck out at me. It's so sweet, but at the same time so sad because of the truth.

Just like your other stories, the main characters really well characterized developed the lack of dialogue and etc. The narrator, especially, comes across really strongly. I love that even at the end, after all that she's been through, she seems so sweet and naive and innocent.

And the ending was just perfect. It stayed in line with the mood of the rest of the story. It was really sad that she decided not to go up and speak to him... but there's still that tinge of hope at the end. I love that it's left ambiguous like that.

This was a pleasure to read, and I really love the concept of a juvie type of place out in space. If you ever made this into a longer story, I'd be all over that. (:
Miryo chapter 1 . 9/14/2011
Wow, so you're a pro at doing these sorts of stories in general. This one had the same melodic feel that "So Long, Lonesome" did. I enjoyed it a lot.
drazer434 chapter 1 . 9/3/2011
I think this was a fantastic, really interesting story. The emotions in it were so strong and vivid and well realised, and whilst being a sad story I also like the note of redemption in it too and how things do end, perhaps not happily ever after, but with hope of something better.

I like the sci-fi nature of sending people off to space, and the implications that come with that, in contrast with the teenage feelings that everyone who has been a teenager can recognise. The unfamiliar mixed with the familiar make it an excellent read, and it is easy to identify with the characters. I like how they are portrayed as well. It is consistent throughout the story, although the worship and the "tag a long" nature of Lily with Sam did make me feel slightly uncomfortable, but I think that was part of the story so it isn't necessarily a bad thing.

I think the choice to have it with the main character "talking" to Sam using you and we was a good decision. It involves the reader in the story a little bit more and I think it makes it a lot more poignant and a lot more real.

Hope this helped.

~Drazer
M.R. Hill chapter 1 . 8/30/2011
I noticed your ad up in Roadhouse Bar so I'll be giving you said review you wished for. Please return as such on my Grandmaster of Theft series.

Now, as for reading this, I was...pretty conflicted. The use of "you" to make more reader into things is a very different and unique approach that reminds me of interactive fiction. Honestly, I think you could write some pretty nice interactive fiction. I feel it may be a style that could possibly work for you.

With regards to story itself, I didn't get much sucked into it sadly since it was all just tell. It goes by so fast that the benefits of interactive, 2nd person style doesn't really get to take effect. It's more case of "this happened then this happened then this" etc. that no real emotional value or build into it happens.

The ending set-up was nice way to end piece really. I personally feel that since it leaves off on question and makes reader want to possibly answer.
Thomas Sangster chapter 1 . 8/29/2011
Interesting.
Anon chapter 1 . 8/26/2011
Well written. I liked how you kept the protagonist's name hidden from the reader. This story should have more reviews.
NMPress chapter 1 . 8/23/2011
This was nice! I really loved the plot. It was very unique and definitely kept my attention. You have a good base for writing and so just keep working on your prose and you'll be great! Good story. Interesting.