Reviews for Kill Your Darlings: Rants on Writing
Lillianpost chapter 1 . 10/16
I am a writer for the site, and I have to say that I appreciate your efforts to educate us in a clear and concise manner. My first story sags with cliches, although I'm still fond of it, but I'm getting better thanks to efforts like yours. Thank you.
Guest chapter 13 . 1/18
Every chapter of this was absolutely amazing. Thank you for putting this up. :)
H.A. Lloyd chapter 4 . 7/18/2016
Shallow characters. Period. End of story.
H.A. Lloyd chapter 1 . 7/18/2016
Pet peeve...that's a good question...
Really bad summaries and terrible spelling.
MariaTJackson chapter 13 . 5/5/2016
This was so helpful! Thank you so much for writing this!

~Jaye of MTJ
Myro1254 chapter 13 . 3/29/2016
This is so helpful
Bob Story Builder chapter 13 . 3/2/2016
I struggle with perfectionism and I deal with it in stubbornness. I just grind through and get the writing done and tell myself that when I edit the, words will bleed. I am totally perfectionist when it comes to drawing and it has killed my love for drawing too. I get awesome ideas to draw but I tell myself that there'll be mistakes and not perfect so I put off and never give these ideas life.
Bob Story Builder chapter 12 . 3/2/2016
I would get disappointed when I find an awesome story and last update was two or in some cases three years ago. I got fan fiction stories that I follow that haven't been updated in two years but I can hope, right? I sometimes go back to my two stories that I have on this site I'm working on and feel so guilty that I haven't updated in months because been so busy with life. What I do is post in story's summary "under revisions" to buy myself some time and set a deadline to have revisions and next chapter done.
Bob Story Builder chapter 10 . 3/2/2016
Wow. Never thought of body issues as an element of character even though it can be part of someone's mix of issues in real life. Definitely and idea to explore in my own stories, thanks.
Bob Story Builder chapter 9 . 3/2/2016
I consciously try to avoid writing Mary Sues so I try to present get-together characters when they are truly broken people on the inside.
Bob Story Builder chapter 6 . 3/2/2016
Mary Sue is what that Trekie said and I apply it to both male and female characters. I also add in that the character is not challenged by the plot and story and too unrealistically skilled within the his or her setting. The sexist implications is strange to me because I say Mary Sue I mean your character is unrealistic to the human experience.
Bob Story Builder chapter 5 . 3/2/2016
Crap! I am going to have to go back over my own stuff and correct because I possibly broke every rule with regards to tags. It is good to review this stuff every once in a while really keeps in check the vanity.
Bob Story Builder chapter 4 . 3/2/2016
"I didn't just have a pair of Emerald City spectacles; I had green goggles fused to my face over the glasses, it was that bad" had me laughing. Vanity is a serious thing though for writers and what you have here is food for thought so thank you. I cannot think of when I have succumbed to vanity but maybe because I have only spent two years seriously writing.
Bob Story Builder chapter 3 . 3/2/2016
Arnold Schwarzenegger came to mind while reading this. His characters always seem to force a kiss on the woman in his movies. It is messed up when unwanted is turned romantic. Thank you for enlightening me because this has never occurred to me.
Bob Story Builder chapter 2 . 3/2/2016
I got to agree with you. I am not a fan of describing my characters in too much detail especially my main characters. I am writing one story were the only idea the reader knows anything of his looks is when another character compliments him on his violet eyes (yea I did that because only description I have done in 60 odd pages and decided to get vivid for my protagonist). I try to be detailed and vague just enough that the reader can use her or his imagination to create the characters' looks in their minds. I do have a bit too much fun with emphasizing my characters can still get hurt whether emotionally or physically by going brutal on them.
67 | Page 1 2 3 4 .. Last Next »