Reviews for Kill Your Darlings: Rants on Writing
Alyce Reide chapter 4 . 1/2
I am glad to say I've never yet written something I hate! Well...okay, still no. I've written some things I now do not like, but never anything that never appealed to me at any time (unless homework essays count). I hope I never write anything that does not appeal to me in some manner at the time of the writing (including appealing effects, as in homework or a synopsis).

However, I must confess that I'll read things, including a couple published books but mostly fanfiction, and think, "I could do better". I actually read my history book without taking it in because I'm thinking about how the author could have made his sentences shorter, punchier, more appealing. (I've been reading too much Query Shark, if there is such a thing.)
Alyce Reide chapter 11 . 12/31/2019
Nope, that method of avoidance does not always work.

There's this show I like, and the fanfiction itself showed me a problem with it: the show writers don't know how to check their own canon. There's fics where one of the main characters is incredibly sweet, loving, and understanding, and fics where he sexually harasses his crush. The problem is, he's both those guys in the show. It's really annoying. He's not the only character this happens to. A boy told to sit in the front row by the teacher because he's easily distracted, is later allowed to sit next to his girlfriend. This teacher's students believe her to be the best teacher in the world, yet she ignores bullying and continues to believe the bullies over the victims, expecting the victim to be the better person.

*breathes* Okay. Rant over. Thank you.
Alyce Reide chapter 10 . 12/30/2019
In Kerstin Gier's Ruby Red, Gwyneth is actually bullied for her pale, acne-free skin (which I think is pretty hilarious).

In E.D. Baker's The Wide-Awake Princess, Annie is moderately pretty, but always compared to her incredibly beautiful sister. (She doesn't complain, though. She gets to do all sorts of things her sister doesn't, due to not being the fragile heir to the throne.) I

In Soman Chainani's The School for Good and Evil, Agatha is constantly described as hideous (bug eyes, oily domelike hair, etc.). (Agatha does learn to see herself as pretty, and she does become classically pretty (in that order!), but by book 2 she's back to oily hair and bug eyes.)

Have you ever read any of those books? They're all pretty good. I'll read anything those authors write.
Alyce Reide chapter 9 . 12/30/2019
...huh. I've never thought of it that way.

I still hope I've progressed beyond that. I'd better have, since I'm now trying to publish a novel. If I haven't, that's just sad. I'll be sad. :(
Alyce Reide chapter 5 . 12/30/2019
Thanks! These things bug me so much.

I've never done the comma things (I'm a grammar nut). I have done the everything-in-one-paragraph, but it was in one of my first stories and I figured out pretty fast that it was Confusing and Hard To Read and Not To Be Done.
Alyce Reide chapter 3 . 12/30/2019
Ek. I don't read much romance, which is probably why I haven't yet run across this. But eeeeh...no.
Alyce Reide chapter 2 . 12/30/2019
Hey, what about the Phantom of the Opera? A huge part of his character is that his face is hugely messed up. Also, in the book he's skeletal. Yet somehow, he has an immense fanbase convinced that he's incredibly attractive (I blame the movie).

He does have gold eyes...
Alyce Reide chapter 1 . 12/30/2019
Ha! I'm sure I'm guilty of some of this, but I do try to be consistent. There's one character whose eyes are always emeralds, never peridot or jade or, gods forbid, garnet! (Those aren't even the same color... -_-) I don't do "smoulders" though. I don't get it. Or the drowning thing.
LeagionFear chapter 5 . 9/4/2018
This was very useful, you'd be surprised how little this is addressed in school, both from a pupil and a teaching point of view. I am very likely to render a crib sheet for future reference. Most things I do by instinct, but I am aware I have made some of the mistakes you speak of in here. Thanks again.
LF
Seudonimo Voldeminty chapter 2 . 11/27/2017
Definitely good points you bring up here. That's why I hate romance stories XD
Lillianpost chapter 1 . 10/16/2017
I am a writer for the site, and I have to say that I appreciate your efforts to educate us in a clear and concise manner. My first story sags with cliches, although I'm still fond of it, but I'm getting better thanks to efforts like yours. Thank you.
Guest chapter 13 . 1/18/2017
Every chapter of this was absolutely amazing. Thank you for putting this up. :)
V.A. Wynteras chapter 4 . 7/18/2016
Shallow characters. Period. End of story.
V.A. Wynteras chapter 1 . 7/18/2016
Pet peeve...that's a good question...
Really bad summaries and terrible spelling.
MariaTJackson chapter 13 . 5/5/2016
This was so helpful! Thank you so much for writing this!

~Jaye of MTJ