Reviews for Kill Your Darlings: Rants on Writing
Amy Icefyre chapter 4 . 12/31/2014
Hey, I just wanna say that fanfiction writer you talked about. You said she had about 1000 reviews, right? Well, I write on fanfiction most of the time and I know for sure that you can get a lot more review there then on FP.

So, her writing may have sucked, but it was simply where she posted it that mattered. Also wanna say how about you take your story and make it a alternate universe fanfiction.
Make it Harry Potter or Twilight 'cause they have the most people reading them and just post it on Fanfiction.
A few small changes maybe, but that's that.

Its okay to do it as long as you label it as AU.

So, maybe you can try that? If you do give me the address plz and your username on Fanfiction. I'd love to read it. Or send it to me to change the names. I'd be more then happy to do it!

Also you may think that downgrades your story, but it is still original and sharing it with more people helps improve your writing.

So, maybe do it to just on story? I will change the names for you and if you do not have a Fanfiction account I can post it on my account and just say it was written by you.

PM me!
Lolitroy chapter 13 . 9/1/2014
i battle with perfectionism all the time.

Has it ever happened you're relatively skilled at something and have confidence in your work, then diiscover this one guy who seems to be better at what you do? It may just be me being competitive, but once I find someone better than me, I try surpassing him/her. And when I can't seem to do so... well...

Self-deprecation is part of being an artist!
Thing is when it consumes more times than performing the art itself.
Lynn K. Hollander chapter 13 . 8/10/2014
I don't plot much before hand. I know where I want to go and some points on the road there, but drafts change things. Not the end so much, as the way I get there. I'll post chapters, and change the content of published chapters before the story is complete.
Finishing is ofter better than perfection, but perfection is OK too. Consistency is another matter.
TheQuietOnes chapter 12 . 4/17/2014
I just found this, and everything you have said I can relate to. I know what it feels like to review a story with a quick "can't wait for the next update" the see the last update was in 2010. It is so disappointing. And all the things you said about Mary Sues, it was rather enlightening. I have a story on , with an original character. I introduced her about eight chapters in and she was pretty well received. I then someone told me that she was getting to be "borderline Mary Sue-ish". I was a new writer and don't know what that meant! So now it makes sense, and I am glad to know it is not just me. I hope you update soon, and will keep reading. Sorry if this bored you, basically the summary is me saying great job. Am loving it!
Lynn K. Hollander chapter 12 . 4/8/2014
Is there a plot before you tackle step 1? I mean a written-down road map of what the story is and where it's going? Because I don't see how length can be assigned before basic plot. I skipped over 1-11 since I've already read them, but for the early chapters that was some time ago. I may have forgotten plotting as a topic.
ImmanenceEnsured chapter 12 . 4/7/2014
I don't mind dead fics TOO much. I do mind when they end on a cliffhanger. That. Is. The. Worst. Don't end on a cliffhanger, you passionless person! End it on a bittersweet note, then give up. That's acceptable.

Gonna take a look at that guide, and thanks for the new post.
Honeycloud of RiverClan chapter 12 . 4/7/2014
Does a story count as a dead fic if it's not explicitly discontinued? I've read some great fics that end abruptly on a cliffhanger, then I check the summary and it hasn't been updated in three years.
Made in America chapter 1 . 12/30/2013
Flynn: You broke my smolder.

Haha. I don't like most 'orbs' descriptions I read in fanfics. Although I like to use 'an hypnotic stare' in my stories. Some eyes can be hypnotic to where you just can't look away, like if you're standing face to face in front of a grizzly bear or some stranger in your house.
Catkac chapter 11 . 12/28/2013
Wow, I am amazed at what you came up with in these 11 chapters (so far).

I like your insightful approach (read: many quotations from various sources) and dedication to what is written here. Your presentations of the pet peeves are something I've never thought of (and I still don't quite understand/agree/sympathize with the "eyes" pet peeve of yours) and make an interesting read.

I especially like the three "chapters" about Mary Sue (I once looked up the definitions but the depth of your research has baffled me), and am quite thankful for the "tag" rules and whatnots. Also enjoy your word-wielding abilities.

Eagerly awaiting your next chapter. :)
shivadf125 chapter 11 . 11/10/2013
Yay! I'm glad this guide is still going on!

Anyway, I have something to mention about this chapter-in fanfiction, a character can act OOC and it can be justified, for a reason other than, "canon didn't give them personality." It can also be justified if there is enough character development in the fanfiction for it to work. A fanfiction can further develop a character's... character, and then it can be okey for the author to have them be OOC, but only after the development actually happens.
ImmanenceEnsured chapter 11 . 11/10/2013
"Or you can avoid OOC characters by not reading fanfiction at all."

This is the sad conclusion I've come to, but in a slightly different way. I've probably told you this already, but I avoid fanfiction like the plague for two reasons; first because I don't want to see my favourite sacred darlings spoiled and second because I prefer slash romance over het.. Not that I've really tried my hardest, but I have yet to find a decent fanfic slash pairing. Hetero romances I avoid because I hate cheesy and pathetically dramatic girls, they make me cringe. We run the world, you know? If there is a hetero pairing I'd want a cool and composed alpha women, but even in original series those are scarce. And the issue with the slash is that, if an author sees an opportunity to bring her two male love interests together, often they decide to skip the relationship development and have them dive straight into bed. I understand where this is coming from (pervy fangirl passion) but quite frankly, it disgusts me.

Mostly for me it's been all about the characters. I can read a story with absolutely no plot in it, if the characters are what I like. As a kid of course I was into fantasy and sci-fi and different dimensions and ezzplosions, and I still enjoy those elements a lot. The difference is, I now stop reading if the characters aren't refined and interesting enough. I just stop. I remember rage-quitting stuff as a young teenager because I couldn't stand it anymore. Example: Twilight. First book was sweet and cute to my teenage mind. Second book was thrown against the wall ten pages in because WHY was Bella being such a dumbass and WHY was Edward behaving like a dumb d*ck AND...! This, for me, was OCC. Because suddenly it was all about plot and drama and the intimacy and innocence of the characters were gone.
This is a shameful example, obviously, but I was young. Forgive me.

Like you said, if you love fanfic you have to take the time to sift through all the BS. It's not the author's fault (well sometimes it is) but referring to your quest for Mary Sues, we make all kinds of writing mistakes in life. Let's be christian and forgive. Though to be honest I need all of my good christian will to forgive and forget some of the grave mistakes authors have made (for me). And I'm talking about original fiction here, not even the FF universe.

I'm so glad you wrote this article because this is such a sour and sensitive pet peeve of mine. I daresay it's one of the things I'm most passionate about in life (aside from cool-looking space ships and LOTR).
I also find it interesting that you say that sometimes OCC might work, if the original character is poorly developed. I totally agree. I again, I only have original anime and series as reference material, but sometimes a side character comes forth out of the background, and what they do or say doesn't really matter, as long as it's constructive to the plot and the main characters. Still, I think, if an author respects her own story and every single separate aspect of it, no character should be underdeveloped.
Lolitroy chapter 10 . 10/15/2013
On an unrelated note, I read the reviews, and now am feeling bad, heh. Not all teenage girls are bad authors, mind me.

Also remember many become authors out of wish-fulfillment or the need to plunge into a fantasy worlds of sort, eh... I guess it's the emotional imbalance as well. Point is... I being a fifteen-year old am a bit insulted by this. Not that it isn't true, though. But there are exceptions!

Rant aside, I really like these essays. And I agree with another review somewhere over the first page. I would really want to see an MK excerpt, please?
Lolitroy chapter 9 . 10/15/2013
Are you saying Mary Sue is the definition of failure? If I fall down, then that's a Mary Sue? I disagree, but respect your opinion.
Lolitroy chapter 4 . 10/15/2013
Again. Wish-fulfillment. That's NOT the same as writing for the joy of it u.u

I don't want to attack the romance cestion/category or anything, but have you seen their reviews? "Please update!" "OMG he is so sexy!" "So cute! Update!" and so on.

Eh, no real vanity gum. I'm fine with having anonymous writing if it is what I like to write, instead of writing to get attention :)
Lolitroy chapter 3 . 10/15/2013
Haha, sure, he loves her so much he forces a kiss on her... ew. And blame wish-fulfillment for this -w-'

I think there is a point where every writer/reader finally wakes up from that Twilight-y trance and realize all dominant male things, stalkers, foced-marriages, abusive partners, and rape kisses are not romantic at ALL, but scary and stupid as "romantic" plot points. But that comes after... a while -w-'
52 | Page 1 2 3 .. Last Next »