Reviews for Kill Your Darlings: Rants on Writing
Haleigh Lloyd chapter 4 . 7/18
Shallow characters. Period. End of story.
Haleigh Lloyd chapter 1 . 7/18
Pet peeve...that's a good question...
Really bad summaries and terrible spelling.
MariaTJackson chapter 13 . 5/5
This was so helpful! Thank you so much for writing this!

~Jaye of MTJ
Myro1254 chapter 13 . 3/29
This is so helpful
Bob Story Builder chapter 13 . 3/2
I struggle with perfectionism and I deal with it in stubbornness. I just grind through and get the writing done and tell myself that when I edit the, words will bleed. I am totally perfectionist when it comes to drawing and it has killed my love for drawing too. I get awesome ideas to draw but I tell myself that there'll be mistakes and not perfect so I put off and never give these ideas life.
Bob Story Builder chapter 12 . 3/2
I would get disappointed when I find an awesome story and last update was two or in some cases three years ago. I got fan fiction stories that I follow that haven't been updated in two years but I can hope, right? I sometimes go back to my two stories that I have on this site I'm working on and feel so guilty that I haven't updated in months because been so busy with life. What I do is post in story's summary "under revisions" to buy myself some time and set a deadline to have revisions and next chapter done.
Bob Story Builder chapter 10 . 3/2
Wow. Never thought of body issues as an element of character even though it can be part of someone's mix of issues in real life. Definitely and idea to explore in my own stories, thanks.
Bob Story Builder chapter 9 . 3/2
I consciously try to avoid writing Mary Sues so I try to present get-together characters when they are truly broken people on the inside.
Bob Story Builder chapter 6 . 3/2
Mary Sue is what that Trekie said and I apply it to both male and female characters. I also add in that the character is not challenged by the plot and story and too unrealistically skilled within the his or her setting. The sexist implications is strange to me because I say Mary Sue I mean your character is unrealistic to the human experience.
Bob Story Builder chapter 5 . 3/2
Crap! I am going to have to go back over my own stuff and correct because I possibly broke every rule with regards to tags. It is good to review this stuff every once in a while really keeps in check the vanity.
Bob Story Builder chapter 4 . 3/2
"I didn't just have a pair of Emerald City spectacles; I had green goggles fused to my face over the glasses, it was that bad" had me laughing. Vanity is a serious thing though for writers and what you have here is food for thought so thank you. I cannot think of when I have succumbed to vanity but maybe because I have only spent two years seriously writing.
Bob Story Builder chapter 3 . 3/2
Arnold Schwarzenegger came to mind while reading this. His characters always seem to force a kiss on the woman in his movies. It is messed up when unwanted is turned romantic. Thank you for enlightening me because this has never occurred to me.
Bob Story Builder chapter 2 . 3/2
I got to agree with you. I am not a fan of describing my characters in too much detail especially my main characters. I am writing one story were the only idea the reader knows anything of his looks is when another character compliments him on his violet eyes (yea I did that because only description I have done in 60 odd pages and decided to get vivid for my protagonist). I try to be detailed and vague just enough that the reader can use her or his imagination to create the characters' looks in their minds. I do have a bit too much fun with emphasizing my characters can still get hurt whether emotionally or physically by going brutal on them.
Amy Icefyre chapter 4 . 12/31/2014
Hey, I just wanna say that fanfiction writer you talked about. You said she had about 1000 reviews, right? Well, I write on fanfiction most of the time and I know for sure that you can get a lot more review there then on FP.

So, her writing may have sucked, but it was simply where she posted it that mattered. Also wanna say how about you take your story and make it a alternate universe fanfiction.
Make it Harry Potter or Twilight 'cause they have the most people reading them and just post it on Fanfiction.
A few small changes maybe, but that's that.

Its okay to do it as long as you label it as AU.

So, maybe you can try that? If you do give me the address plz and your username on Fanfiction. I'd love to read it. Or send it to me to change the names. I'd be more then happy to do it!

Also you may think that downgrades your story, but it is still original and sharing it with more people helps improve your writing.

So, maybe do it to just on story? I will change the names for you and if you do not have a Fanfiction account I can post it on my account and just say it was written by you.

PM me!
Lolitroy chapter 13 . 9/1/2014
i battle with perfectionism all the time.

Has it ever happened you're relatively skilled at something and have confidence in your work, then diiscover this one guy who seems to be better at what you do? It may just be me being competitive, but once I find someone better than me, I try surpassing him/her. And when I can't seem to do so... well...

Self-deprecation is part of being an artist!
Thing is when it consumes more times than performing the art itself.
65 | Page 1 2 3 4 .. Last Next »