Reviews for Kill Your Darlings: Rants on Writing
vinecat chapter 13 . 11/9
Thanks for posting the missing chapter. I myself am willing to overlook bad spelling and grammar if the story is good, I know what the author meant to say.
Guest chapter 12 . 11/4
OK, so chapter 1 is a dead link - I'm wondering if that's linked the the mess currently plaguing the site keeping any recent upload from working. If so, right now is not the best time to update things.
El Droide chapter 12 . 9/18
I sometimes struggle with perfectionism, though it's more with homework than with creative writing at the moment. I too have realized over the past few years that it's better to finish a work than agonize over it until you feel it is perfect. There are so many things in life that are like that, wouldn't you agree?

Are you still writing new chapters on various pet peeves/writing topics? I would like to hear your thoughts on writing "unpopular" types of fanfiction (aka, tropes that get a lot of flack from readers nowadays). For an example of what I mean, I am writing a series of self-insert one-shots where I am babysitting a much younger version of one of my favorite book/movie characters. I began writing it just for the laughs and cuteness, and now I am seriously considering posting it if I ever get a FFN account. Yet, I worry about how people would receive it, since I know that many readers don't like self-insert fan fiction (I usually don't like them either). Do you have any advice on how to deal with these feelings, as well as on posting "unpopular" types of fan fiction in general?
El Droide chapter 10 . 9/18
When it comes to OOC, I either cringe at it or indulge in the guilty pleasure of liking it. I once read a fanfic where the book version of a character met the movie version of himself. Hilarity ensued as you might imagine, and it helped me pinpoint what exactly was off about that character's personality in the movies (he's too serious and almost always seems to know everything, which is quite a bit different from how he is in the books).
El Droide chapter 4 . 9/18
Thank you so much for pointing out these common mistakes! Your examples are extremely helpful. Now if only Microsoft Word would learn not to flag some of these rules as incorrect...
El Droide chapter 3 . 9/18
Ugh! I hate the rape kiss trope too! It's exactly like the scenarios where the alphajerk- ahem, hero straight up rapes the heroine or forces her to do something she doesn't want to do. But OF COURSE it's okay, because the hero makes the heroine "feel things she shouldn't". And even though "her mind says no, her body responds otherwise". Krjkenjsnfjnfreknjrjk! And the authors like to pass it off as "dubious consent". *sigh* What's wrong with romance writers these days?
El Droide chapter 2 . 9/18
Oh my goodness, I HATE the Mr. Universe trope (I love your name for them)! I'm so glad I'm not the only one. I've had so many bad experiences with romance book characters like these, because the Mr. Universes' I've run into are often big jerks who love to treat the heroine badly. And don't get me started on the fact that they almost ALWAYS have stubble of some sort (do they ever shave?) or wear a "well-tailored Armani suit" that "barely contains" their gigantic muscles.
Alyce Reide chapter 4 . 1/2
I am glad to say I've never yet written something I hate! Well...okay, still no. I've written some things I now do not like, but never anything that never appealed to me at any time (unless homework essays count). I hope I never write anything that does not appeal to me in some manner at the time of the writing (including appealing effects, as in homework or a synopsis).

However, I must confess that I'll read things, including a couple published books but mostly fanfiction, and think, "I could do better". I actually read my history book without taking it in because I'm thinking about how the author could have made his sentences shorter, punchier, more appealing. (I've been reading too much Query Shark, if there is such a thing.)
Alyce Reide chapter 11 . 12/31/2019
Nope, that method of avoidance does not always work.

There's this show I like, and the fanfiction itself showed me a problem with it: the show writers don't know how to check their own canon. There's fics where one of the main characters is incredibly sweet, loving, and understanding, and fics where he sexually harasses his crush. The problem is, he's both those guys in the show. It's really annoying. He's not the only character this happens to. A boy told to sit in the front row by the teacher because he's easily distracted, is later allowed to sit next to his girlfriend. This teacher's students believe her to be the best teacher in the world, yet she ignores bullying and continues to believe the bullies over the victims, expecting the victim to be the better person.

*breathes* Okay. Rant over. Thank you.
Alyce Reide chapter 10 . 12/30/2019
In Kerstin Gier's Ruby Red, Gwyneth is actually bullied for her pale, acne-free skin (which I think is pretty hilarious).

In E.D. Baker's The Wide-Awake Princess, Annie is moderately pretty, but always compared to her incredibly beautiful sister. (She doesn't complain, though. She gets to do all sorts of things her sister doesn't, due to not being the fragile heir to the throne.) I

In Soman Chainani's The School for Good and Evil, Agatha is constantly described as hideous (bug eyes, oily domelike hair, etc.). (Agatha does learn to see herself as pretty, and she does become classically pretty (in that order!), but by book 2 she's back to oily hair and bug eyes.)

Have you ever read any of those books? They're all pretty good. I'll read anything those authors write.
Alyce Reide chapter 9 . 12/30/2019
...huh. I've never thought of it that way.

I still hope I've progressed beyond that. I'd better have, since I'm now trying to publish a novel. If I haven't, that's just sad. I'll be sad. :(
Alyce Reide chapter 5 . 12/30/2019
Thanks! These things bug me so much.

I've never done the comma things (I'm a grammar nut). I have done the everything-in-one-paragraph, but it was in one of my first stories and I figured out pretty fast that it was Confusing and Hard To Read and Not To Be Done.
Alyce Reide chapter 3 . 12/30/2019
Ek. I don't read much romance, which is probably why I haven't yet run across this. But eeeeh...no.
Alyce Reide chapter 2 . 12/30/2019
Hey, what about the Phantom of the Opera? A huge part of his character is that his face is hugely messed up. Also, in the book he's skeletal. Yet somehow, he has an immense fanbase convinced that he's incredibly attractive (I blame the movie).

He does have gold eyes...
Alyce Reide chapter 1 . 12/30/2019
Ha! I'm sure I'm guilty of some of this, but I do try to be consistent. There's one character whose eyes are always emeralds, never peridot or jade or, gods forbid, garnet! (Those aren't even the same color... -_-) I don't do "smoulders" though. I don't get it. Or the drowning thing.
84 | Page 1 2 3 4 .. Last Next »