Reviews for Kill Your Darlings: Rants on Writing
ImmanenceEnsured chapter 12 . 4/7/2014
I don't mind dead fics TOO much. I do mind when they end on a cliffhanger. That. Is. The. Worst. Don't end on a cliffhanger, you passionless person! End it on a bittersweet note, then give up. That's acceptable.

Gonna take a look at that guide, and thanks for the new post.
frosted flaky chapter 12 . 4/7/2014
Does a story count as a dead fic if it's not explicitly discontinued? I've read some great fics that end abruptly on a cliffhanger, then I check the summary and it hasn't been updated in three years.
Made in America chapter 1 . 12/30/2013
Flynn: You broke my smolder.

Haha. I don't like most 'orbs' descriptions I read in fanfics. Although I like to use 'an hypnotic stare' in my stories. Some eyes can be hypnotic to where you just can't look away, like if you're standing face to face in front of a grizzly bear or some stranger in your house.
Catkac chapter 11 . 12/28/2013
Wow, I am amazed at what you came up with in these 11 chapters (so far).

I like your insightful approach (read: many quotations from various sources) and dedication to what is written here. Your presentations of the pet peeves are something I've never thought of (and I still don't quite understand/agree/sympathize with the "eyes" pet peeve of yours) and make an interesting read.

I especially like the three "chapters" about Mary Sue (I once looked up the definitions but the depth of your research has baffled me), and am quite thankful for the "tag" rules and whatnots. Also enjoy your word-wielding abilities.

Eagerly awaiting your next chapter. :)
shivadf125 chapter 11 . 11/10/2013
Yay! I'm glad this guide is still going on!

Anyway, I have something to mention about this chapter-in fanfiction, a character can act OOC and it can be justified, for a reason other than, "canon didn't give them personality." It can also be justified if there is enough character development in the fanfiction for it to work. A fanfiction can further develop a character's... character, and then it can be okey for the author to have them be OOC, but only after the development actually happens.
ImmanenceEnsured chapter 11 . 11/10/2013
"Or you can avoid OOC characters by not reading fanfiction at all."

This is the sad conclusion I've come to, but in a slightly different way. I've probably told you this already, but I avoid fanfiction like the plague for two reasons; first because I don't want to see my favourite sacred darlings spoiled and second because I prefer slash romance over het.. Not that I've really tried my hardest, but I have yet to find a decent fanfic slash pairing. Hetero romances I avoid because I hate cheesy and pathetically dramatic girls, they make me cringe. We run the world, you know? If there is a hetero pairing I'd want a cool and composed alpha women, but even in original series those are scarce. And the issue with the slash is that, if an author sees an opportunity to bring her two male love interests together, often they decide to skip the relationship development and have them dive straight into bed. I understand where this is coming from (pervy fangirl passion) but quite frankly, it disgusts me.

Mostly for me it's been all about the characters. I can read a story with absolutely no plot in it, if the characters are what I like. As a kid of course I was into fantasy and sci-fi and different dimensions and ezzplosions, and I still enjoy those elements a lot. The difference is, I now stop reading if the characters aren't refined and interesting enough. I just stop. I remember rage-quitting stuff as a young teenager because I couldn't stand it anymore. Example: Twilight. First book was sweet and cute to my teenage mind. Second book was thrown against the wall ten pages in because WHY was Bella being such a dumbass and WHY was Edward behaving like a dumb d*ck AND...! This, for me, was OCC. Because suddenly it was all about plot and drama and the intimacy and innocence of the characters were gone.
This is a shameful example, obviously, but I was young. Forgive me.

Like you said, if you love fanfic you have to take the time to sift through all the BS. It's not the author's fault (well sometimes it is) but referring to your quest for Mary Sues, we make all kinds of writing mistakes in life. Let's be christian and forgive. Though to be honest I need all of my good christian will to forgive and forget some of the grave mistakes authors have made (for me). And I'm talking about original fiction here, not even the FF universe.

I'm so glad you wrote this article because this is such a sour and sensitive pet peeve of mine. I daresay it's one of the things I'm most passionate about in life (aside from cool-looking space ships and LOTR).
I also find it interesting that you say that sometimes OCC might work, if the original character is poorly developed. I totally agree. I again, I only have original anime and series as reference material, but sometimes a side character comes forth out of the background, and what they do or say doesn't really matter, as long as it's constructive to the plot and the main characters. Still, I think, if an author respects her own story and every single separate aspect of it, no character should be underdeveloped.
Lolitroy chapter 10 . 10/15/2013
On an unrelated note, I read the reviews, and now am feeling bad, heh. Not all teenage girls are bad authors, mind me.

Also remember many become authors out of wish-fulfillment or the need to plunge into a fantasy worlds of sort, eh... I guess it's the emotional imbalance as well. Point is... I being a fifteen-year old am a bit insulted by this. Not that it isn't true, though. But there are exceptions!

Rant aside, I really like these essays. And I agree with another review somewhere over the first page. I would really want to see an MK excerpt, please?
Lolitroy chapter 9 . 10/15/2013
Are you saying Mary Sue is the definition of failure? If I fall down, then that's a Mary Sue? I disagree, but respect your opinion.
Lolitroy chapter 4 . 10/15/2013
Again. Wish-fulfillment. That's NOT the same as writing for the joy of it u.u

I don't want to attack the romance cestion/category or anything, but have you seen their reviews? "Please update!" "OMG he is so sexy!" "So cute! Update!" and so on.

Eh, no real vanity gum. I'm fine with having anonymous writing if it is what I like to write, instead of writing to get attention :)
Lolitroy chapter 3 . 10/15/2013
Haha, sure, he loves her so much he forces a kiss on her... ew. And blame wish-fulfillment for this -w-'

I think there is a point where every writer/reader finally wakes up from that Twilight-y trance and realize all dominant male things, stalkers, foced-marriages, abusive partners, and rape kisses are not romantic at ALL, but scary and stupid as "romantic" plot points. But that comes after... a while -w-'
Lolitroy chapter 2 . 10/15/2013
Talk about narcissistic writing these days... *never reads FP romance because of that* and then people wonder why so many teens have problems with self-esteem -w-'
the clockwork doll chapter 5 . 10/12/2013
Heya! Okay, for starters, ditto on the orb thing. Please, for God's sake, stop! Not you, though. You make a lot of interesting points and the piece you did on vanity was magnifique. Great advice. Truly awesome.

I guess this is just perspective but the one thing I don't agree with is the idea that any writing - whatever shape or form - should be deemed wrong. Language is evolving at an alarming rate, i.e. styles change and adapt to different media and through exposure to other languages etc. The only point in time when English had actually been standardised (because the first concise dictionary only came about in 1756, and the English language was so diverse we even used the equivalent of the German 'ß' randomly, along with capitalisation of all nouns and a variety of different spellings even in formal documents for the same words. And heck, even technology changed language: to make everything fit in the new invention of the printing press, they had to chop the 'e' off the end of words ending in consonants) was the late 19th-20th century when people still wrote sentences that were paragraphs long, and used grammar formulations that you deemed 'incorrect'. Ironic, huh?

I'm not trying to beat you up via le internet. Sorry. It's just that the English language has evolved so much and is still evolving that the idea of correct becomes subjective. Read books by David Crystal if you don't get me. My explanation is poor and disjointed.

What I'm trying to say is that it's great having pet peeves - no one can stop you from having those. But telling people that the way they are writing is wrong (in my opinion) is narrow-minded; for instance, we could all be writing like that in 40-50 years time. And yes, this catastrophe of sorts may be due to laziness (Jean Aitchinson's 'damp teaspoon effect'), or it could be because people with linguistic knowledge are manipulating language to make it more efficient. There are lots of theories.

Maybe I've inspired you to approach the written mode with more of an open mind? If I haven't, that's fine too. Everyone is entitled to their own beliefs.

Despite this, your instalments made me chuckle. I just needed to rant... and also fill your reviews page with a colossal essay - you have my sincerest apologies.

Please, keep writing, though. Your wit is very engaging :)
-TCD
Helen Cole chapter 3 . 10/9/2013
Just the title of this one made me uncomfortable. I hate that too! I had a friend that experienced this and her boyfriend was confused because he thought he was being romantic. I only skimmed over it because I hate even just the topic, but I totally agree.
Helen Cole chapter 2 . 10/9/2013
Hmm... This one I may be guilty of in my story. Would you mind letting me know if I've overdone it in your opinion? I'm talking about Chad in my story, "on the other end of the phone"

( I will definitely be taking your advice as i continue to describe him in the story.)
Helen Cole chapter 1 . 10/9/2013
Before i started reading this it made me nervous, wondering: Do I do that?

"Malt balls. Mmmm". I love that part! - made me smile.
I've never run into the orb eye description problem. Sounds like it's pretty irritating to you haha

This made me laugh... I won't point any fingers, but... Ehem.. persnipity fox...ehem

Well I think I'm in the clear - don't think I've used any of those recently. Whew

I would love if you would read and review my story, "On the Other End of the Phone". I would really like to know if it's a story people enjoy reading. If nothing else, I would like to know where people stop if they decide not to continue reading. I also like to trade reviews so let me know if you want me to review anything.
77 | « Prev Page 1 .. 2 3 4 5 .. Last Next »