Reviews for Kill Your Darlings: Rants on Writing
Lolitroy chapter 4 . 10/15/2013
Again. Wish-fulfillment. That's NOT the same as writing for the joy of it u.u

I don't want to attack the romance cestion/category or anything, but have you seen their reviews? "Please update!" "OMG he is so sexy!" "So cute! Update!" and so on.

Eh, no real vanity gum. I'm fine with having anonymous writing if it is what I like to write, instead of writing to get attention :)
Lolitroy chapter 3 . 10/15/2013
Haha, sure, he loves her so much he forces a kiss on her... ew. And blame wish-fulfillment for this -w-'

I think there is a point where every writer/reader finally wakes up from that Twilight-y trance and realize all dominant male things, stalkers, foced-marriages, abusive partners, and rape kisses are not romantic at ALL, but scary and stupid as "romantic" plot points. But that comes after... a while -w-'
Lolitroy chapter 2 . 10/15/2013
Talk about narcissistic writing these days... *never reads FP romance because of that* and then people wonder why so many teens have problems with self-esteem -w-'
the clockwork doll chapter 5 . 10/12/2013
Heya! Okay, for starters, ditto on the orb thing. Please, for God's sake, stop! Not you, though. You make a lot of interesting points and the piece you did on vanity was magnifique. Great advice. Truly awesome.

I guess this is just perspective but the one thing I don't agree with is the idea that any writing - whatever shape or form - should be deemed wrong. Language is evolving at an alarming rate, i.e. styles change and adapt to different media and through exposure to other languages etc. The only point in time when English had actually been standardised (because the first concise dictionary only came about in 1756, and the English language was so diverse we even used the equivalent of the German 'ß' randomly, along with capitalisation of all nouns and a variety of different spellings even in formal documents for the same words. And heck, even technology changed language: to make everything fit in the new invention of the printing press, they had to chop the 'e' off the end of words ending in consonants) was the late 19th-20th century when people still wrote sentences that were paragraphs long, and used grammar formulations that you deemed 'incorrect'. Ironic, huh?

I'm not trying to beat you up via le internet. Sorry. It's just that the English language has evolved so much and is still evolving that the idea of correct becomes subjective. Read books by David Crystal if you don't get me. My explanation is poor and disjointed.

What I'm trying to say is that it's great having pet peeves - no one can stop you from having those. But telling people that the way they are writing is wrong (in my opinion) is narrow-minded; for instance, we could all be writing like that in 40-50 years time. And yes, this catastrophe of sorts may be due to laziness (Jean Aitchinson's 'damp teaspoon effect'), or it could be because people with linguistic knowledge are manipulating language to make it more efficient. There are lots of theories.

Maybe I've inspired you to approach the written mode with more of an open mind? If I haven't, that's fine too. Everyone is entitled to their own beliefs.

Despite this, your instalments made me chuckle. I just needed to rant... and also fill your reviews page with a colossal essay - you have my sincerest apologies.

Please, keep writing, though. Your wit is very engaging :)
-TCD
Helen Cole chapter 3 . 10/9/2013
Just the title of this one made me uncomfortable. I hate that too! I had a friend that experienced this and her boyfriend was confused because he thought he was being romantic. I only skimmed over it because I hate even just the topic, but I totally agree.
Helen Cole chapter 2 . 10/9/2013
Hmm... This one I may be guilty of in my story. Would you mind letting me know if I've overdone it in your opinion? I'm talking about Chad in my story, "on the other end of the phone"

( I will definitely be taking your advice as i continue to describe him in the story.)
Helen Cole chapter 1 . 10/9/2013
Before i started reading this it made me nervous, wondering: Do I do that?

"Malt balls. Mmmm". I love that part! - made me smile.
I've never run into the orb eye description problem. Sounds like it's pretty irritating to you haha

This made me laugh... I won't point any fingers, but... Ehem.. persnipity fox...ehem

Well I think I'm in the clear - don't think I've used any of those recently. Whew

I would love if you would read and review my story, "On the Other End of the Phone". I would really like to know if it's a story people enjoy reading. If nothing else, I would like to know where people stop if they decide not to continue reading. I also like to trade reviews so let me know if you want me to review anything.
Guest chapter 5 . 10/7/2013
Actually thanks for dialogue rule 4. It will help a ton on my timed short story tomarow
ImmanenceEnsured chapter 10 . 10/5/2013
All I can say to this is: I agree. Physical attractiveness is a big turn on, but so is confidence. No one wants a whiny heroine (or apparently people do, see Anastacia Steele) but that's not the point. Being hung up on something that shouldn't be an issue at all, because there are way more important things to worry about, makes a heroine look stupid and self-centred. Needing someone else to get her out of her slump adds pathetic to the list. All those things are so unsexy and depressing I would instantly quit as well.
ImmanenceEnsured chapter 9 . 9/11/2013
I'm just going to come out and say it since no one else does: I need me some MK time.
You've mentioned her countless times, spun whole hypotheses around this characters, yet I haven't read a single fragment of text with her actually in it. HER. I need that, for closure. Imma gonna go crazy otherwise.
frosted flaky chapter 9 . 9/9/2013
I like the title.

Anyway, I enjoyed reading this essay. I'm calling it an essay.

This definitely made me feel the slightest bit better about my first OC. Ever since I found out what they were, I'd stare at my character and say "Wow, I should change this part and this part and maybe here..." and she ended up sharing only a name and a general appearance.

Of course, I have made exaggerated caricatures of Mary Sues, and they usually ended up far from perfect or even remotely likable.

Alright, this "review" has been ranty in itself.

Derp. ;3
shivadf125 chapter 9 . 9/8/2013
You know, I agree one-hundred-percent with this view of the Mary Sue, and I feel this is a view that needs to be expressed more often. In my opinion, it's when an author fails to every grow out of this stage of writing, and refuses to accept constructive criticism, that I began to feel annoyance and pity. Just writing a Mary Sue, however, does not make anyone a bad person or horrible writer for life. Thank you for saying this.

...I'm still glad I never wrote any of my Mary Sue fantasies down or published them online, though.
Steph T chapter 5 . 8/25/2013
I have to admit, I have stopped reading stories before because of their horrible dialogue structure.
Steph T chapter 3 . 8/25/2013
I am so glad someone has finally brought this to a more "public" attention. The same thing goes for some sexual relations; I have read a number of novels where a hero forces himself onto a heroine until she gives into her lust only to later portray it as a loving encounter. Its a disgusting behavior and makes me feel uncomfortable whenever I read it anywhere.
Moonlightpheonix-xX chapter 8 . 8/15/2013
:3 This was extremely helpful. Thank you.
84 | « Prev Page 1 .. 2 3 4 5 .. Last Next »