Reviews for Kill Your Darlings: Rants on Writing
Guest chapter 5 . 10/7/2013
Actually thanks for dialogue rule 4. It will help a ton on my timed short story tomarow
ImmanenceEnsured chapter 10 . 10/5/2013
All I can say to this is: I agree. Physical attractiveness is a big turn on, but so is confidence. No one wants a whiny heroine (or apparently people do, see Anastacia Steele) but that's not the point. Being hung up on something that shouldn't be an issue at all, because there are way more important things to worry about, makes a heroine look stupid and self-centred. Needing someone else to get her out of her slump adds pathetic to the list. All those things are so unsexy and depressing I would instantly quit as well.
ImmanenceEnsured chapter 9 . 9/11/2013
I'm just going to come out and say it since no one else does: I need me some MK time.
You've mentioned her countless times, spun whole hypotheses around this characters, yet I haven't read a single fragment of text with her actually in it. HER. I need that, for closure. Imma gonna go crazy otherwise.
frosted flaky chapter 9 . 9/9/2013
I like the title.

Anyway, I enjoyed reading this essay. I'm calling it an essay.

This definitely made me feel the slightest bit better about my first OC. Ever since I found out what they were, I'd stare at my character and say "Wow, I should change this part and this part and maybe here..." and she ended up sharing only a name and a general appearance.

Of course, I have made exaggerated caricatures of Mary Sues, and they usually ended up far from perfect or even remotely likable.

Alright, this "review" has been ranty in itself.

Derp. ;3
shivadf125 chapter 9 . 9/8/2013
You know, I agree one-hundred-percent with this view of the Mary Sue, and I feel this is a view that needs to be expressed more often. In my opinion, it's when an author fails to every grow out of this stage of writing, and refuses to accept constructive criticism, that I began to feel annoyance and pity. Just writing a Mary Sue, however, does not make anyone a bad person or horrible writer for life. Thank you for saying this.

...I'm still glad I never wrote any of my Mary Sue fantasies down or published them online, though.
Steph T chapter 5 . 8/25/2013
I have to admit, I have stopped reading stories before because of their horrible dialogue structure.
Steph T chapter 3 . 8/25/2013
I am so glad someone has finally brought this to a more "public" attention. The same thing goes for some sexual relations; I have read a number of novels where a hero forces himself onto a heroine until she gives into her lust only to later portray it as a loving encounter. Its a disgusting behavior and makes me feel uncomfortable whenever I read it anywhere.
Moonlightpheonix-xX chapter 8 . 8/15/2013
:3 This was extremely helpful. Thank you.
ImmanenceEnsured chapter 8 . 8/15/2013
Things finally make sense indeed. I'm so freaked out and amused by your nauseating quest, and I'm happy to see I've drawn similar conclusions. I realize the characters I hate most in a lot of stories are secretly Sues, more specifically the Jerk Sue. I couldn't really put a finger on my frustration, but now I realize what I felt was "Why the heck does he/she get away with being such an utterly hateful human being?!"

As for the Sues in general, they're obviously a pest, but now I really understand why; they screw with common sense. They force you to believe and accept things you otherwise wouldn't. That's messed up and, to me, unacceptable.

I think I'll be able to judge stories more accurately now. Thanks a bunch:)
ImmanenceEnsured chapter 7 . 8/8/2013
I don't think you should blame yourself for writing cheesy Mary Sues at 12 though. What else is there to write when you're a twelve-year-old? It's the experience that counts :)

This was totally entertaining nonetheless. I think I was still writing about princesses and talking horses at that age.
Moonlightpheonix-xX chapter 7 . 7/28/2013
Hmmmmmm... I would say she is what I would call a mid-sue. She has sue characteristics, but her better traits balanced them somewhat. I kind of want to read this fic now. Just tell me the grammar is good. I'm kind of OCD about that. XD It annoys me to no end. But srsly, I think I might have a character kind of like this.
Moonlightpheonix-xX chapter 6 . 7/9/2013
A character who's perfect. lol
FYI i lurff these rants.
ImmanenceEnsured chapter 6 . 7/9/2013
Woahhhhh, excitement!
okay okay I'm gonna be VERY specific and guess away.

I think you wrote a character that was:
-female
-awkward around people yet very charming in her own way (without fully realizing it)
-very intelligent
-a bookworm
-had a friend (best friend maybe) that was less intelligent
-in love with a jerk
-in a love triangle with two other very charming boys with very different personalities (Derek/Stiles-like)
-good at one specific sport, surprisingly
-one unusual hobby
-slightly misanthropic
-maybe some family problems.
-maybe had a cat

W-was I right...?!
OfficerOats chapter 5 . 7/8/2013
I love you and your pet peeves, I only wish that you would write more often. I'm just going to slide over here and favorite you. Thank you.
ImmanenceEnsured chapter 5 . 6/12/2013
The comma in- or outside the quotation marks differs from language to language. In Dutch the comma is placed outside the marks if the sentence ends there, inside if the sentence is cut short only to continue later, i.e. it is used as a regular comma. Same with the Yoda-speak, as you put it: ‘Neen’, zei hij, ‘Non’, disat-il, ‘Nein’, sagte er. I think English is about the only language that doesn’t have this structure. But since the English (British) love to throw bastard words into their every posh sentence (French words, mostly) I don’t see this as an issue. Yes it might me incorrect in theory, but if you compare it to other European languages it is a dominant form. That's why, to many non-native speakers, it is not an issue because it sounds better, more natural.

If you 'sigh', 'laugh' or 'whatever' something, it means that -that- action stands out, more so than the speaking itself. It’s speaking laughing and the laughing remains. That shouldn’t be a problem, it’s an interpretation that goes beyond grammatial rules but why is that a problem? This is a literary forum, full of little drafts, poetry, experimental writing. Fictionpress is the one place that allows this kind of freedom. That’s awesome, not 'incorrect'. It's a blast. Plus, "Smackdad in the middle." Candice laughed. "That's great!" – sounds way too staccato in my opinion. In Dutch a full stop screams for exactly that, a Stop. I'm not advanced enough to really 'feel' the English yet, but I know that to me, and in Dutch, 'flow' is of great importance.

Don’t be a spoilsport. I understand where you’re coming from, but some people just want to write. Besides this is Fictionpress, filled with teenage girls and boys. What did you expect? Writing is a learning process for everyone. I'm reading this essay because it's entertaining, but if I were a fragile, struggling soul this could be very discouraging. Fortunately I'm not, I just press the Review button x)
77 | « Prev Page 1 .. 2 3 4 5 .. Last Next »