Reviews for Kill Your Darlings: Rants on Writing
Moonlightpheonix-xX chapter 7 . 7/28/2013
Hmmmmmm... I would say she is what I would call a mid-sue. She has sue characteristics, but her better traits balanced them somewhat. I kind of want to read this fic now. Just tell me the grammar is good. I'm kind of OCD about that. XD It annoys me to no end. But srsly, I think I might have a character kind of like this.
Moonlightpheonix-xX chapter 6 . 7/9/2013
A character who's perfect. lol
FYI i lurff these rants.
ImmanenceEnsured chapter 6 . 7/9/2013
Woahhhhh, excitement!
okay okay I'm gonna be VERY specific and guess away.

I think you wrote a character that was:
-female
-awkward around people yet very charming in her own way (without fully realizing it)
-very intelligent
-a bookworm
-had a friend (best friend maybe) that was less intelligent
-in love with a jerk
-in a love triangle with two other very charming boys with very different personalities (Derek/Stiles-like)
-good at one specific sport, surprisingly
-one unusual hobby
-slightly misanthropic
-maybe some family problems.
-maybe had a cat

W-was I right...?!
OfficerOats chapter 5 . 7/8/2013
I love you and your pet peeves, I only wish that you would write more often. I'm just going to slide over here and favorite you. Thank you.
ImmanenceEnsured chapter 5 . 6/12/2013
The comma in- or outside the quotation marks differs from language to language. In Dutch the comma is placed outside the marks if the sentence ends there, inside if the sentence is cut short only to continue later, i.e. it is used as a regular comma. Same with the Yoda-speak, as you put it: ‘Neen’, zei hij, ‘Non’, disat-il, ‘Nein’, sagte er. I think English is about the only language that doesn’t have this structure. But since the English (British) love to throw bastard words into their every posh sentence (French words, mostly) I don’t see this as an issue. Yes it might me incorrect in theory, but if you compare it to other European languages it is a dominant form. That's why, to many non-native speakers, it is not an issue because it sounds better, more natural.

If you 'sigh', 'laugh' or 'whatever' something, it means that -that- action stands out, more so than the speaking itself. It’s speaking laughing and the laughing remains. That shouldn’t be a problem, it’s an interpretation that goes beyond grammatial rules but why is that a problem? This is a literary forum, full of little drafts, poetry, experimental writing. Fictionpress is the one place that allows this kind of freedom. That’s awesome, not 'incorrect'. It's a blast. Plus, "Smackdad in the middle." Candice laughed. "That's great!" – sounds way too staccato in my opinion. In Dutch a full stop screams for exactly that, a Stop. I'm not advanced enough to really 'feel' the English yet, but I know that to me, and in Dutch, 'flow' is of great importance.

Don’t be a spoilsport. I understand where you’re coming from, but some people just want to write. Besides this is Fictionpress, filled with teenage girls and boys. What did you expect? Writing is a learning process for everyone. I'm reading this essay because it's entertaining, but if I were a fragile, struggling soul this could be very discouraging. Fortunately I'm not, I just press the Review button x)
NightRainMuseum chapter 3 . 4/8/2013
That happens in a lot of movies. The writers often try to claim it's funny because the audience knows she likes him. In many movies it's followed by the guy insisting the heroine quit her job because he doesn't want his future wife working. Often she fights him until the end then agrees.
NightRainMuseum chapter 2 . 4/8/2013
Obviously these people haven't even read Harlequin romances before writing their stories and are going by inferior books like Twilight.
A Fellow Reader chapter 4 . 3/27/2013
I really enjoyed all four of your "Rants on Writing". I found the satirical, witty writing style incredibly engaging, to the extent that I hardly noticed it was in fact a "rant". The writing felt purposeful and strong. The organization flowed naturally, as if I was following my own train of thought. Also, the subject matter was relatable, refreshing and realistic. An overall organic piece.

On a slight side note, I enjoyed these rants for more than just for my reading pleasure, but found them packed with truly helpful writing tips. I, being at that unfortunate age where one is too young to have acquired enough writing experience to satisfy, but too old for people to excuse insufficient works, have fallen into a bit of a writing "rut". However, I find these simple yet effective "rants" you've constructed to be quite inspiring, and see myself shedding my writer's block in the near future. Ergo, I must thank you!
NadeshikoLove1224 chapter 4 . 3/27/2013
You're rants are funny and I feel for you on your chapter four one. Some of my fanfics, most recently my fiction I questioned why I don't get a response when others that take half the time, half the effort and half the heart get a lot . I wanted to make a story that was similar to those, but I ended up hating it in the end. Note to self: Write want speaks to you. It's an art, not a competition.
ImmanenceEnsured chapter 4 . 3/26/2013
Nothing worse than someone fucking up something so perfect it should have stayed unspoiled inside your mind. That is the main reason I do not touch fanfiction. I can’t bring myself to read the brain child of someone who Has. No. Idea.

Vanity kills, it’s lifeless. If you understand even the faintest thing about psychology, you know a relationship built on nothing but superficial feelings will destroy itself in the blink of an eye. It's fake and soulless. When little teenage girls take up the pen, however, the results are almost always disastrous. They’ll learn, though. That’s our hope for the future. If you love your characters, as a sensible author, you take care of them, make sure they're fed and clothed and have some Depth.

I think that if you want to love what you write but need the confirmation of others, it's important to be happy with the reviews you get. If they’re lovely and sincere, who cares if there are few? Revel in them, savour them, send the sender a reply, start a conversation. Share the love, intimately. It's fulfilling.

My pet peeve: vanity x) ugly emptiness in characters and people who don’t realize that they’re practically committing a crime by saying the character is ‘so adroable’ or whatever, when actually he/she is a skank, lazy, egotistical, dumb, narrow-minded, yada yada, all hidden under the pretense of Something, I don’t know What, that is supposedly positive while in reality it really, really isn't. Those moral-less inclinations make me mad. But hey, this is the internet. I've learnt to accept scandalous stupidity. Just say 'fuck that shit' and go for the fun. Your 2-list idea is very cool.
shivadf125 chapter 4 . 3/26/2013
I like this essay! I've seen all of these mistakes before, particularly in fanfiction. I guess it's because fanfics generally don't have literary editors.
I actually wrote an essay similar to yours, except it was on fanic-specific issues.

Anyway, I have a story for you, an epic tale of ambition (okay, not really):

When I was four or so, I often met up with a friend to draw pictures on our driveways with chalk.
I was also an aspiring artist (yes, even though I was only four, I know _) and I drew things in a way that wasn't the norm. I'd, say, draw a butterfly from a side view, with a smiley face, whereas everybody else drew it from the top down.

Anyway, one day she told me I was drawing things the wrong way. I got so mad afterwards, that I poured almost all of my free time into drawing. I decided I would become such a great artist, I'D SHOW HER!

Well, I did, in a way. I became a great artist, and although I've been over that silly anger for so long now, it helped me.

Frustration is not always a bad motivation. It's not letting go of it that's bad. _
Moonlightpheonix-xX chapter 3 . 2/2/2013
Ugh, I hate this, too and I agree. Rape-kissing is a big no-no. :P
ImmanenceEnsured chapter 3 . 12/21/2012
Rape, in whatever form or situation, is never positive, agreed. However, for me rape consists of conditions:
1) the contact is unwanted
2) one party is weaker than the other

When a girl gets rape-kissed, the guy's balls should be cut off. But when the girl is strong and rape-kisses him back or punches him in the stomach then kisses him, to me that is a totally different, way more amusing and exciting story. When the one getting kissed is a boy, then the boy should be able to stand his man by pushing the other one off and kicking his butt. Or, since boys generally require way less tact and a more physical approach, he could give his rape-kisser some of his own medicine! Nothing more delicious than a violent kissing match, right? When, however, the boy is a weak boy, it all goes back to rape.

Rape kisses can be a nice plot twist, if they're used in the correct circumstances. This doesn't change the fact that a boy should always, ALWAYS respect a girl and treat her like the queen she is.
ImmanenceEnsured chapter 2 . 12/21/2012
I love a hot, muscled hero with a piercing gaze as long as he's got a personality to back him up. An exceptional, surprising, amazing YET realistic personality. When those conditions aren't met, I'll dislike him. Regretfully it is very hard to find those kinds of guys on fictionpress. The hotter a hero usually looks, the lesser his personality. That is stupid, not to mention disturbing.
ImmanenceEnsured chapter 1 . 12/21/2012
This is epic, I have yet to encounter half the metaphors you've summed up in here, but I can see how they would be annoying in certain circumstances. If a story is exciting and well-written though, I'm willing to overlook certain cheesy descriptions and just sit back and enjoy. Still, you have all the right to flame the orbs and the lifeguards
82 | « Prev Page 1 .. 2 3 4 5 6 Next »