Reviews for Kill Your Darlings: Rants on Writing
ImmanenceEnsured chapter 2 . 12/21/2012
I love a hot, muscled hero with a piercing gaze as long as he's got a personality to back him up. An exceptional, surprising, amazing YET realistic personality. When those conditions aren't met, I'll dislike him. Regretfully it is very hard to find those kinds of guys on fictionpress. The hotter a hero usually looks, the lesser his personality. That is stupid, not to mention disturbing.
ImmanenceEnsured chapter 1 . 12/21/2012
This is epic, I have yet to encounter half the metaphors you've summed up in here, but I can see how they would be annoying in certain circumstances. If a story is exciting and well-written though, I'm willing to overlook certain cheesy descriptions and just sit back and enjoy. Still, you have all the right to flame the orbs and the lifeguards
Gracious Goose chapter 2 . 6/10/2012
I absolutely loved this rant. When a guy is described in the average romance he looks like a Ken doll. Honestly if I had to come up with a top fifty of all the couples I've come across that fit in the spectrum between sexy and adorable, Ken and Barbie don't make the cut. They may be classic but they are plastic and I rather go watch Beauty and the Beast.

So thank you for putting the time into this because it is refreshing.
Glorious Goose chapter 1 . 6/10/2012
I understand where you're coming from with the cliches but I don't understand the literal meaning tangents. Describing eyes as pools, hypnotizing, or orbs may not always be a perfect literal fit but in literature this is the case for many metaphors. I've found that some of the most beautifully written pieces have figurative language that is a stretch. My mind prefers the challange and fresh feel of rather ingenious word combos.

I'm not trying to criticize your hatred of these rather unsightly cliches because I do not enjoy them either. Personally I just didn't agree with the reoccuring concept that description should be strictly anatomically correct and literal.

I understand that I'm being a bit ridiculous. The essay appears to be a humorous rant and it serves as an excellent reminder to avoid these nasty Cliches. Honestly I'm not sure that you were trying to send the message that I critcized. However the repetition of negativities towards description that didn't fit within a rather literal mold rattled me a bit.

Overall nice work. I enjoyed the read.
Sweet September Storm chapter 1 . 6/10/2012
Persnickety Fox, you are my hero. This essay (and your other ones) are both hilarious and insightful. You had me laughing out loud one minute and rushing to edit something in my stories the next. Well done and keep sharing your writing tips with the world!
AbsoluteZero chapter 2 . 12/20/2011
I find myself agreeing with most of what you've said here. I remember the first time I read eyes described as "pools", I thought it sounded interestingly original. That was at a time when such a description wasn't very common. Suddenly, it's everywhere! It now sounds rather jarring, if not done tactfully (i.e. if used more than once in a story). "Orbs" I just don't get... I personally find that similes work better than metaphors for describing eyes.

Über handsome, annoyingly perfect characters in romance fiction are best in very small doses. I like them in manga more than anywhere else, but even then I tend to find the villains more alluring than the pretty boy protagonist. The same as in real life, I think that if a character's personality is attractive (whilst flawed), then their physical features also become more attractive. In fact, I'd say the key word for romance fiction is "attractive" rather than "pretty" or "mind-blowingly handsome". A character doesn't have to tick all the boxes to be attractive and likeable.
LittleLoser.AndRoloLamperouge chapter 2 . 12/20/2011
Alright... this is interesting, and I want to read more, so I'll just alert, kay? :D

~LL
Wallflower.x chapter 2 . 12/19/2011
haha, I like this.
NightRainMuseum chapter 1 . 12/18/2011
Actually laser beam eyes are extremely common in manga and anime, especially when it's two women glaring at each other.
84 | « Prev Page 1 .. 3 4 5 6