Reviews for Hitting Hard
chiroho chapter 45 . 3/27/2012
Kim and Tony have one thing in common - being on an aircraft carrier drives them insane. Even with those photographs of Ziva to stare at. Does Kim have pics of Cunningham up in her "office"?

I really don't think I'd be cut out for extended periods of time onboard ship. Probably go insane. Though, to be honest, with a decent computer and access to books from , I could probably survive - though I'd do a lot of reading and playing of computer games. At least Kim gets to teach some Semper Fu given that she's a black belt.

Kim manages to make friends wherever she goes? At least she has someone to talk to a bit.

And the meth comes back again. You're slowly working towards that connection, aren't you?
chiroho chapter 44 . 3/27/2012
Ha! My Ass Rides In Navy Equipment! I'm sure you've said that before, but for some reason I don't remember if it you have. Most amusing.

And that's certainly one way to propose! I have to admit that I did it a little differently myself when I got engaged, but whatever works, works. And obviously Colleen is very happy.

Having Kim there when you get your engagement ring? I'm guessing SO not in Simple's plans! LOL!
chiroho chapter 43 . 3/27/2012
So at first this seems like a bit of a bummer for Jeff, I mean who wouldn't be upset at being distracted from getting together with a cute blonde, even if it is Kim who calls, but I guess all's well that ends well. And no, he should DEFINITELY not tell Kim about that one.

Are promotions really that informal in the Army Medical Corps as well? Given how big a deal it is to get promoted, you'd think that they'd make of a deal about it. Then again, I guess doctors really don't pay as much attention to their rank as other military officers do.

At least his friends, if you can call some of them that, showed up to celebrate with him.
chiroho chapter 42 . 3/27/2012
While I've never sat through an Admiral's speech, I've definitely been in plenty of business meetings where I have to try not to fall asleep. Fortunately, most of them are conference calls these days and I can do other things. But I've definitely been in ones in which I know I've been nodding off. That's what I get for having a Herman Miller Aeron chair in the office - it's just too darn comfortable sometimes!

So, if I ever have anything denied "for security reasons", I'll know what that really means! Had that happen, have we?

Nice to know that, no matter what, there are families that exist outside actual families. It's something that I guess exists in the military that most people never get to see. Thanks for opening that window a little for us.
chiroho chapter 41 . 3/27/2012
You can certainly tell that Jeff is just going through the motions if he's not applying for the fellowship he so desperately wanted. And at least his CO notices this and offers something of an alternative. Talk about things in medicine taking time though. I guess I'm used to shorter timescales ...

And again, I like how you've portrayed Celik, and what he says. It's not easy to get that right, but I think he carries a genuine tone in what he says. It's nice to see in a world that doesn't always paint pastors that way.
chiroho chapter 40 . 3/27/2012
Chapter 40, and there are another 14 after this one before I'm up to date. It's a lot of chapters! Then again, I don't think I recall anything you've written being short, so ...

Jeff should know better than to go on short runs with Kim. They'd tax most marathon runners!

I don't think any Tomblin has ever chosen to do something the easy way when a more difficult way is offered.

So Jeff is going on a run with Kim's family while she is away? He's going to be part of the family before he knows it!

And that's a conversation they definitely needed to have. Not an easy one, but they do seem to keep rehashing the same things. At least now, hopefully, they can move forward a little. Though, knowing some of what comes in the future, they don't exactly take the easy path there. Then again, she's a Tomblin isn't she ...
chiroho chapter 39 . 3/27/2012
Even if you know that your girlfriend could kill you with a paper clip/little finger/gun she always carries/with semper fu/etc., it's still got to be difficult not to be intimidated by the huge older brother. I mean, Kevan is not small. ;-)

Is Jeff supposed to be at that family dinner? I got the impression that Kevan picked him up before Kim got there, but he's not in the scene at all. Just wondering ...

Nice conversation between Kevan and Kim. At least she's finally willing to be honest with him. That's not easy.

If Kim is on a carrier next birthday, I don't think she'll be celebrating in quite the same way.
chiroho chapter 38 . 3/27/2012
Well that has to be one of the crappiest days ever for a person. (Though strangely it's fairly normal compared to most procedurals these days, where family members and friends seem to come into the picture WAY more often than would ever happen in real life.)

Nice detective work on Kim's part, but crappy given that it's her friend and her godfather who are running the whole thing! No wonder she wants to go home for the weekend.

Have to say though, while it might have always seemed easy for Kim, it strikes me that being a family like hers would have made it even harder. You often read how kids of generals or admirals really struggle because they aren't the same people their parents are - and it's tough to live up to that bar. So Kim really is exceptional not only in how well she did, but also in that she managed to live up to the expectations set for her as a Tomblin.
chiroho chapter 37 . 3/27/2012
Jeff really should realise by now that if Kim calls, it's because she wants someone - even if it's only someone to talk to. Yes, it's obviously not ideal when he's in San Diego, but at least he's someone to talk to.

Men can be so oblivious sometimes.

I don't really remember anyone doing any real drugs when I was in college. Then again, that was a LONG time ago. I can well imagine that the pressure these days can get pretty intense, and if there is something available like meth as a pick-me-up, then it could well go a long way to "helping".

Life in NCIS doesn't always seem that much better than the Corps, does it?
chiroho chapter 36 . 3/27/2012
It's almost like Ziva or DiNozzo walking into the office when you describe it. That ran just like an opening scene from the show.

Matthews reminds me of early McGee, struggling to keep up with all the military jargon. Except that, given he's been in the role long enough to be hazing probies.

Marines and push ups? There has to be something in the mentality, right?

I wonder if this is the start of the tie in back to Kim's dream, and the very opening of this story so many chapters ago ...
chiroho chapter 35 . 3/27/2012
Okay, maybe it's just me as a guy, but describing your conquests to a female friend, albeit one you served in Iraq with, does seem a little strange. Then again, who else would he tell - even at 0300 Pacific. And that's early, even for Kim!

Anderson really isn't that good at telling stories though. He skips all over the place. No wonder Kim is getting peeved.

Uh oh, the old 2008 is going to be different. Why do I have a feeling that this is going to be true for someone with the initials KT as well?
chiroho chapter 34 . 3/27/2012
So far behind with reviews of your story, I don't even know when you posted this chapter, though according to my email it was Jan 16. I was doing a bunch of travelling for work, our annual performance appraisal process rolled around, and I'll spare you the details. Save that I'm about this many chapters behind, and probably more that I haven't reviewed. Yes, I'm a bad fan! So, I'm going to try and (remember your story) catch up. :)

Wow, old times. I remember M*A*S*H in the battalion aid station. That seems many stories ago, which it probably was. How time flies!

One of these days, you're finally going to bring this back to the two sailors with drugs, aren't you. Isn't that where we started somehow? ;)

It's a pain being a big brother (I'm the eldest), though it became easier when I moved to another country and left my siblings behind. Retained my oldest child sensibilities though, unfortunately for all concerned.

They're each other's stability? Heaven help us!
shulesaddict77 chapter 54 . 3/27/2012
I really like that Jeff is considering Kim's family like sort of his family too and that he is good friends with Kevan now. I can't remember if he went on another tour. When he gets abducted he is on his fellowship, right?
shulesaddict77 chapter 51 . 3/15/2012
Ohhh, Kim's talk with Colleen was a little heartbreaking. It makes it even worse that we know that they are both in love with each other but just can't make it work. I hope there are still about 50 chapters left. :-)
Dr. JES chapter 50 . 3/12/2012
It is a testament to your writing that you keep me so interested in this story and all the little details even though I know how it ends up. I love how you are filling in all the missing pieces and keeping it so consistent with everything else you have already written. Nice job.
288 | « Prev Page 1 .. 4 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 .. Last Next »