Reviews for Hitting Hard
chiroho chapter 87 . 7/19/2012
You think Kim hasn't been sleeping well because she cheated on Jeff the one time he was actually staying at her place, hoping she'd be back? Or because she realises that it may be a long time before she sees him again? Or is it just one of those "living in the desert" things?

Either Kim is in really early, or everyone else is very late. MCRT from DC this is not.

Can't see anyone sitting down in Gibbs' chair to take the call, even when they answer his phone. Certainly Tony and McGee never have.

Yes, the US embassy in Saudi Arabia is definitely going to need to get some replacements, not that easy I'd think given the selection criteria. Then again, I can't imagine they want to keep marines who have been tested positive for drugs either.

Burley is such a push over.

10 cases that are all somehow related are a lot of cases. At some point you'd actually think that someone would want to put a higher level of focus on this, given the number of cases involved.

Of course, the reason Kim likes cold and wet is because it reminds her of home, not just that she misses Seattle. That's nearly always cold and wet anyway. ;-)

Like your analysis of how Kim decides to approach the interrogation. It's nice to get that insight. Of course, the fact that the interview was so totally off the wall certainly helped with things going better than she might have expected.

And isn't it amazing what people who've done something criminal think they can still go back to? Let's just hope that McDowell really does come up with some useful information.

Thanks for writing!
shulesaddict77 chapter 87 . 7/19/2012
Hmm, undetectable meth. Very interesting. I think this case will keep Kim on her toes for quite some time.
Guest chapter 16 . 7/18/2012
I am really enjoying this story so far. Thank you.
chiroho chapter 86 . 7/16/2012
Hopefully logged in again. Won't bore you with my frustrations though. :)

Glad that Jeff was able to spend some time with Simple, and hopefully help him see that he's not the only person hurting there, and especially that Colleen needs him to be there for her because she's the one who went through surgery, and she's the one who almost died. Jeff doesn't say it in as many words, but what Simple is doing is pretty self-centred in terms of how it's impacting Colleen. Yes, he's lost the thought of a baby, but how much has Colleen lost?

Hmmm, Colleen sounds a little like me talking about the snowmageddon in my review the other day. ;)

The Bataan Death March sounds like a great name for an "exercise". Is that really what the Marines call it? Or is that just the nickname for it? And yes, Simple definitely wouldn't need to worry about socks.

Like the details about the tasks he does before going to bed. Guess they're a little more complicated than your average person.

And I'm glad he's finally able to talk to Colleen. Obviously not there completely, but if you can't talk, then you're never going to be able to resolve problems. I certainly know what he means about his brother before and after kids. My best friend from HS was like that - he saw his younger brother's kids and really wanted some of his own. His wife didn't though, at least not right away, and I think it took her nearly all the 9 months of her pregnancy to get used to the idea of having a baby. So it works both ways.

Hopefully he starts doing better soon.
Guest chapter 86 . 7/16/2012
Ah, I'm so glad Colleen is reassuring him and Jeff's little freak-out was apparently more about him being frustrated about the whole Kim mess. Looking forward to the next chapter.
Guest chapter 86 . 7/16/2012
Good for Jeff, giving Simple the wake-up call he needed. He didn't lose Colleen, that's the big thing.

Looking forward to the next chapter!
shulesaddict77 chapter 85 . 7/15/2012
I hope Simple can at least talk to his psychatrist. I'm glad Colleen could talk to Jeff.
merryann chapter 85 . 7/13/2012
Poor Simple; just too much piled on at once, and Colleen isn't 'there' to be strong at the moment. The ups and downs of 'in sickness and in health'. Hopefully Jeff can help them put things into perspective?

Looking forward to the next update!
chiroho chapter 85 . 7/12/2012
Let's hope my review posts under my name THIS time!

I remember "snowmageddon". Up in New England we were laughing at the ridiculousness of everyone in the mid-Atlantic states going on about how much snow there is. Two feet in New Hampshire, and the state is running again the next day like nothing happened. Of course, we actually have plows and snow removal budgets, unlike the mid-Atlantic which shuts down with a few flakes. Hence the expression "hardy New Englanders". In fact, I know many people who were complaining about the lack of snow this past winter. I didn't get to use my snow blower anywhere near as much as I would have liked!

Still I can imagine that driving from PA to DC at that time certainly wouldn't have been a lot of fun, because they really did struggle with everything during that time. You'd think the whole world had ended, which I guess is the joke you make later on. :-)

I can imagine Colleen going stir crazy with being at home and away from her job, and not on vacation, and also coping not only with what happened to her, but also the changes in Simple because he really is taking the whole thing very hard - very much a "why does this happen to me" scenario.

Sometimes I think that, the more you know about a given medical situation, the more likely you are to second guess a decision about it. I mean, isn't that why they say that physicians shouldn't medicate themselves? Interestingly enough though, I was reading an article in the WSJ or something a few months back about how much fewer doctors with serious cancers get any sort of treatment - for example if they're given six months to live, they'll very likely just go home and spend that time with their family as against getting lots of treatment that they know likely will only extend their life by a few months, and the quality of what they have won't be what they want. They know the treatments are there, and what impact they'll have, and they'd rather have their remaining time at home with family than strapped into machines in a hospital. In many ways it makes sense. And ain't that a positive topic?

Not sure what Jeff can do there with Colleen and Simple, after all Colleen is the "head doctor", but hopefully he can find a way to help Simple that will help him move forward with all of the problems that he has. And you never know, maybe Jeff can drag him to see a pastor because sometimes that sort of counselling is better than seeing a psychiatrist. After all, isn't that who Jeff talks to occasionally? D
Guest chapter 84 . 7/9/2012
Interesting to see Kim try to dig/justify her way out of her predicament. Clearly, as she said, she's been there before. Good that they will still be able to work together.

Looking forward to the next chapter!
chiroho chapter 84 . 7/9/2012
Weird. That last long review was from me, but even though it said "Posting as: chiroho" in this box, it went in as guest. I really think I'm not very happy with this new review box, even though it may make for more reviews.
Guest chapter 84 . 7/9/2012
It's nice of Kim to try and help out the falsely imprisoned guard, though they still really have no information about why the guy was set up in the first place, or how the Saudi's were even put onto him in the first place. I guess they need to wait for the complete test results to come back before they can start to pursue things any further. Of course, having these same drugs floating around the US navy for such a long time must mean that the organisation behind all this is pretty significant.

I can see Kim and Burley having very different takes on dealing with the whole one night stand situation. She'd just want to ignore it, but he wouldn't feel the same way. She's right though that the beer was part of it, but so was the fact that she was missing Jeff. Of course, jumping into bed with someone else doesn't really resolve that feeling of missing someone you love.

If Burley is such a stickler for the rules, it's amazing he survived even a year with Gibbs, let alone five. Not that I'm condoning Gibbs methodologies, but he certainly seems to play fast and easy with what he should and shouldn't be doing. Very much an "end justifies the means" kind of guy.

And Kim's lovers continue to have great timing. AWK-WARD!

Trying to imagine Jeff and Hammer surfing together. I guess it makes sense, as it gives Hammer lots of little things to focus on as he tries to catch the wave.

Yeah, I think in many ways Simple is going to have a much harder time dealing with this than Colleen will in some ways. Not that it will be easy for her, but the series of losses he seems to be taking on himself are a real burden. Hopefully Jeff can help a little with that.

She has no idea of the level to which "her people" have become "his people".

Yes, probably not a good idea to tell Jeff why Burley is really over.

And this is, to a large extent, why many places discourage office romances. If they work out, then you can end up making the wrong choice in a stressful situation because you're looking to protect the person you love, and if they don't work out it causes all sorts of awkwardness. Even more so in a small posting like Bahrain. Unlike DC, where you could sleep with someone from a different team or department and still be able to come into work, Kim doesn't have that luxury.

Thanks for writing!
merryann chapter 83 . 7/5/2012
Poor Colleen. Poor Simple! I was really holding out for a U-turn and it to be something other than a ruptured ectopic. Or maybe twins, with one viable pregnancy! I'm glad they will be able to try again! (And I'm glad we know they are successful!)

Only 2 weeks off after a laparotomy and all that blood loss? It used to be 6 weeks for that or a C-sec. Has that changed, too? So much has changed.

For some reason, I was signed in as a guest last time, too. FF & FP are capricious things!

Looking forward to more!
chiroho chapter 83 . 7/5/2012
For some bizarre reason my last review went in as "Guest". No idea why. I'm sure I was logged in. Have to say though that the face that you have to scroll to the top of the page to "log in" makes it very easy to accidentally submit an anonymous review. There really should be a button on the "posting as" which allows you to log in quickly. So maybe that's what happened - though I'm sure you figured out who the review was from (it was the MUCH longer of the two anonymous reviews).

Nice to see you get back to Colleen and Simple so that we can see how they're doing. And obviously full of medical terminology and your own experiences I'm guessing (residents in different fields staying friendly).

And while Colleen obviously has had some pretty serious surgery, and pregnancy will be more difficult in the future, I'm glad to see that it's still a possibility for them. That said, I can very much see why Simple would be so upset at some of the things that have happened to him and people around him. It's not an easy list, and the "why me" thing is something many people face from time to time. Hopefully things do pick up for him, and for Colleen as well.

Thanks for writing.
Dr. JES chapter 82 . 7/4/2012
Oh, Kim! Bad choice, bad choice. Even though your long-time readers knew this was coming, it's still interesting to see how they get to the points they do. Keep coming with the updates :)
288 | « Prev Page 1 .. 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 16 .. Last Next »