Reviews for Hitting Hard
chiroho chapter 78 . 6/18/2012
Nice to know that someone wants to talk to Jeff at Christmas, because after their last conversation it doesn't seem as though it's going to be Kim. Of course, knowing how much closer he's got to her family, it wouldn't surprise me if he got some sort of a call from one of them.

I guess Colleen in this is the party who can understand both sides - the way a doctor feels about a patient, and the way that Kim knows how to push Jeff's buttons. And she's very right. The longer you know someone, the easier it is to push their buttons in an argument. Which of course just makes it that much easier to "go nuclear", and that doesn't really get any party anywhere.

Nice to have goals the way Simple does. Ought to be better about that sort of thing myself. Does a soldier/marine have any control over when they get promoted though? Just because you want to get promoted doesn't mean you will - I thought anyway.

Always amazing news to hear that you're going to be a parent. Certainly something that is worth enjoying - though the last part of her residency won't be all that fun for Colleen if she's that close to the end of her pregnancy.

Thanks as always for writing!
merryann chapter 77 . 6/16/2012
Oops! Trouble in paradise. Or the Middle East, as the case may be. Kim sure doesn't pull any punches. Good thing we know they get married in the end, lol! (Or is it the end? I hope not!)
Dr. JES chapter 77 . 6/14/2012
Oooohhhh, I really think that I like where this is going (if my mind is working correctly and not over thinking, that is :) Thanks again for the update and I can't wait for more.
chiroho chapter 77 . 6/14/2012
I'm sure I'm not as confused as you about your two stories, but I still have to think a sec to keep them separated.

Ruck marching so hard that she blisters her whole heel? Kim either needs better boots, or not to be so masochistic! And while she might be stubborn about it, anything that she does to herself which affects her job performance IS Burley's problem. At least she learned some decent first aid skills.

Interesting, though obviously not surprising, that Kim has asked to see all the Fallujah intelligence. And I guess the reaction is not unexpected.

While Kim is obviously upset at the situation Cunningham put himself in, no doubt because she refuses to admit out loud just how much she cares for him, her reaction isn't exactly fair - especially when she has no interest in hearing his side of the story. So Jeff getting angry at Kim belittling what he does is certainly not unexpected. But her response is just plain whiny. It has a direct impact on her job? Someone fetch me a waaambulance - which is how Jeff ends up responding as well. Wouldn't she rather know about it this way, even if it's the wrong way to find out, than have it show up some other way?

And the big blow out fight, with both people saying things that they don't really mean, and will likely regret as soon as the call is over. If Kim really knows Jeff, she'd know that he'd do anything for a patient - especially a child. And if his commander didn't see fit to send a Marine officer along to oversee things, then that's his fault - no matter that what Jeff did is against SOP. He's a doctor first, and a Naval officer second, no matter the role or position. And expecting him to act differently isn't something she should expect.

Can't imagine that they talk to each other for a while after this ...

Thanks, as always, for writing.
merryann chapter 76 . 6/11/2012
Hooray! I finally got to read your Kim & Jeff stories! I think I tried before, but RL kept getting in the way. They are wonderful, just like everything else you have written.

Thanks for writing! Looking forward to more!
shulesaddict77 chapter 76 . 6/11/2012
That's so typical Jeff. Going immediately to the sick families to see for himself why they are sick. I'm curious now about his suspicion that it's not natural. Because it's a cow and december? Looking forward to find out what's up.
chiroho chapter 76 . 6/11/2012
Well, Jeff certainly has a way of getting himself into things!

Is this sort of "go and do this, and I'm not going to give you any detail on why you're doing it" common in the military? I mean, it happens often enough in private industry, so I guess it must be pretty common in the armed forces as well. Talk about making things difficult to know what to bring and what to do - let alone being able to make some sort of determination of what you're actually supposed to do when you get there!

2 clicks isn't that far to walk, though there is no Marine escort?

It's always such a small world, isn't it? I guess especially so with medical personnel in the military. And really not surprising that he wouldn't know she'd been deployed again.

Or something happened to the nurse. I mean, there is certainly a lot in the way of terrorist attacks in the region. Though it's nice that the military are able to be able to do a little training on what they do know.

If only Jeff had applied for that internship earlier instead of trying to make his mind up about what do do. ;-)

You have "just spent a two weeks visiting family in Mexico" when you should remove that "a". :)

Yes, I'd probably tend to leave pretty quickly if a bunch of angry guys burst in and started wielding weapons. I mean, it is their house after all. All the kevlar in the world can't stop you from being killed.

As is always the case, a little yelling by a superior officer (even if just one grade up and in a different service) can often yield results. Especially if you're not known for that sort of behaviour.

And that's a way to end a chapter! A possible non-natural outbreak of a disease in Fallujah. Can't imagine anyone is going to react quietly to that!

Thanks, as always, for writing.
shulesaddict77 chapter 75 . 6/9/2012
Okay, now I'm all choked up. Them talking about their kid's names was so bittersweet and then Kim telling him to not say those three words because she would break down if he says it. Ahhh, sigh. Amazing chapter.
Dr. JES chapter 75 . 6/8/2012
I don't even know what to say about this chapter, it was that good. I love the closeness and intimacy you have developed between them and that ending - mmmm, so good and so poignant. Waiting for more...and the NCIS case too ;)
chiroho chapter 75 . 6/7/2012
Was wondering if we'd see an update here before "there". I guess I know now. Maybe you weren't running from my reviews after all. ;-)

A much more serious and introspective chapter here, with a MUCH more serious and introspective Kim. While we know that Jeff has been really wondering what the heck it is that defines his relationship with Kim, she's always seemed much less willing to be tied down (as it were). But now the tables have been turned, with Kim sitting on the deck wondering what the future will bring, and how exactly it will play out.

Nice little scene where Kim and Jeff pretend to talk about where they could disappear to after going AWOL, even though both obviously know it's not going to happen. (And I think both are way too committed to their jobs to really even consider in any serious manner.)

You're so right about the Japanese not being popular in the South Pacific, and much of Asia to be honest. A friend of mine's brother was in the Australian Navy and his ship was in Singapore when he tried to buy a leather jacket. Surprised at the high price, he was turning to leave when the shop keeper came over and explained that the price on the tag was the "Japanese price", and he would pay S$200 less - which was about a 40% discount. The rest of Asia has been overcharging the Japanese for everything since the end of the WWII.

The kids conversation. You know that this isn't a normal conversation when they get onto that topic. There just isn't any way you talk about your kid dreams with someone you aren't really committed to, if for no other reason than it tends to freak people out!

And such a sad ending, with them parting ways. I know I once spent the entire time a flight got from the runway to 30,000 feet crying about leaving someone behind when I wasn't sure when I'd see them again. Leaving is HARD. And yet it still takes these two a long time to get back together. Knuckleheads!
emmaplodocus chapter 74 . 6/6/2012
I'm seeing previous cases from the series in here. And I recognise that photo :P

I also have a feeling I'm going to need to re-read the entire series now. Any chance of an ebook copy lol?
shulesaddict77 chapter 74 . 6/5/2012
I love to see them so happy on R&R. I hope we see more of the five days. I love them together.
chiroho chapter 74 . 6/4/2012
Was wondering whether you'd jump ahead, but not doing so gives you the scene for the photo op which Burley strangely still carried around and caused Kim problems in the future. Having photos of your team members in "barely there" bikinis isn't exactly what I'd consider appropriate, but I guess things are different in the Gibbs trained, loosey goosey NCIS. ;-)

I guess Jeff really would be a beach fan, being located in San Diego. Though neither of them are really demonstrating much sun safety. Where I grew up, it's all "slip on a shirt, slop on sunscreen, and slap on a hat" because of the likelihood of skin cancer. You'd think Jeff, being a doctor, would know these things. Then again, he is a sailor too ...

Isn't "blondes" spelled with an "e"?

Ah, the old "threatening to throw in the water" trick. Works just as well with kids.

What are the odds of Burley ending up on the same section of beach as Kim and Jeff? Very slim! I'm actually thinking he must have gone there deliberately, because that can't be the only beach in Qatar. Perhaps this leads to the character failing we know Kim displays with him in the future.

Burley really is kinda wimpy and whiney, huh? In a bunker? Obviously never been near a real bunker.

One has to ask, are Jeff and Kim actually going to see the beach again this leave? Certainly the ceiling of the hotel room ... And that's enough of that sort of thinking. :)
chiroho chapter 73 . 5/31/2012
A friend of mine just got back yesterday from a week in Doha. He works with Partners Health Care in the quality area (six sigma stuff). So I actually kind of have a familiarity with the area. And while he was there he went swimming and was stung by a jellyfish! (The cabana boy had vinegar which he sprayed on, and then he spent an hour in the hot tub which seemed to do more than the vinegar. So I guess it happens pretty regularly during the Qatari summer.)

Stan does seem as though he'd be exactly that forgetful. I'm amazed he lasted as long as he did with Gibbs.

I guess when you're in police type work, or the military, if something comes up then that can often change your leave plans. I mean, can't control the crime, right? Does suck though when it's a situation like this where you only have so many days off. Even if you're not technically doing the dating thing during the times you're separate from each other.

LOL at Stan trying to be Kim's older brother. He obviously doesn't know Kim well because if there is someone not terribly older brother like, it's Stan Burley.

"Shuttle cue"? Do you mean "queue"? Or is that a term I don't know? Oh, and should Jeff say "You look LIKE an NCIS agent"?

Tut, tut on the MCMAP skills slipping. Though I can't imagine it would have been great had Jeff succeeded in throwing Kim over his shoulder. Though, at least he's a doctor. ;-)

And he's right. I'm sure Kim, despite her junior situation, is really the one running the office. Stan seems just a little but too much goofball to be truly effective in that role.

Thanks for writing!
CanadianChick07 chapter 72 . 5/30/2012
As normal, awesome! I can't wait to see Jeff and Kim on their "vacation."
288 | « Prev Page 1 .. 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 18 .. Last Next »