Reviews for Destinations
ccp1 chapter 5 . 9/1/2013
This is bringing back some memories. My father was a rancher and cattle buyer so I grew up around horses and such. We always watched the triple crown too. When I was young he was partners on several race horses and I remember going to Fredricksberg every Fourth of July for the horse races. We would stay in a family friends big old house and me and friends would search for the ghosts we were sure were there.

Great Story.
ccp1 chapter 3 . 8/23/2013
I so remember slapping erasers and not being able to sleep at nap time.
CobboseeWriter chapter 2 . 12/19/2012
I've read two chapters and so far it's good. The characters are realistic. The description is good and not over done, as is the dialog. I like the pace; you keep the story moving along.
After two chapters, I wonder where this is going. As in the case of a detective story where someone is killed by the second page, I wonder if you could fore shadow the plot a little; a few hints about conflict or drama to come. Just a thought, not a criticism.
I will read more.
cutelittlelawyer chapter 26 . 11/30/2012
Ohh...yay! Susan's getting a place with lots of land and a barn. I think I see horses in her future. )
lol nice going, Rick! He seems to have gotten out ahead of Danny. Questionable tactic, but undoubtedly effective. )
cutelittlelawyer chapter 25 . 11/30/2012
I'm happy to have found my way back to this story at last! Wow... a lot happens in this chapter! I feel like cheering Susan on as she's going for her dream. Also, I love how Russ turned up again, and how he intervened for Susan to get the equipment. hahaha Mrs. Foggart had me giggling! I've actually met a few 'Mrs. Foggart' types in real life. In fact, my landlady during second year of law school could've easily qualified as a Mrs. Foggart. (her ex was called David as well, ironically enough.)
TheDarkArtist chapter 6 . 10/8/2012
This was a very full and complete chapter and yet another satisfying piece of the large Destinations pie :)

I'm learning a lot about how to shape characters that are children from you. That, plus my lack of knowledge of all things horses. I realize I don't know even the basic fundamentals of that subject and it's nice to learn something new (and hopefully I'll mark 'ride a horse' off my bucket list one day).

It would drive me crazy to know I omitted a small word, so I'll point it out-the word 'it' in this sentence:

According to Uncle Pete, was un-American to pass through Kansas City without consuming a Flintstone portion of ribs.

Still loving the story!
TheDarkArtist chapter 5 . 10/7/2012
It's been a bit since I've been able to jump back into this story, but it continues to grab me as a reader. I love the innocence of how a child sees and hears things and interprets them so literally-it reminds me of my own children. And I like the likeness of the Cadillac floating down the highway like an exotic fish. I'm not sure how the whole chapter could be summed up by naming it after the suitcase, but that's no big deal. It's nice to start seeing how she exudes her interest in horses in the story. I hope to read more about that subject in the following chapters.

When I was in the fourth grade, the class and teacher read aloud together "Where the Red Fern Grows", one of my all-time favorite novels. Your story gives me some of that same sense of old-timey reminiscence and I can picture your story being read amongst a class of fresh young minds with great satisfaction.
44musicfreak44 chapter 1 . 9/7/2012
I liked this, a lot. Particularly how you drew in the part with Susan flying as a young kid. Most kids idol superheroes and wish for superpowers, to be different, and I thought bringing the theme of flying into her feelings of wanting to be special was a wise decision.

Great so far and I'm off to read more :)
TheDarkArtist chapter 4 . 8/26/2012
Another great chapter, "Bottle Bombs". The Dr Pepper reference was the perfect way to date the era and I remember my mom's large collection of vintage DP memorabilia and bottles. The custodian showing up and the drama which quickly ensued was gripping, but the best part was the deer that gave Susan her out. All very carefully written and I continue to enjoy this story.
TheDarkArtist chapter 3 . 8/21/2012
I read another chapter, "Grade School Daze" and I shall plunder on through this fun tale of life and growth! I continue to enjoy reading about Susan and her days in school resound with such truth that I find myself in a time machine to my own past (though as a young boy instead named Jeremy). I love the part about the children desiring the honor of clapping the erasers clean during recess and the icing of that part of the story was when Susan was in third grade and " No one ever wanted to slap Mrs. Hermann's erasers clean." Every part of this is a well-worded account of youth! You end the chapter with Susan's ability to conjure up magic with the swing set and the last line is great..."Sometimes, when she least expected it, her magical powers would work again. Today was proof of that."

I can't wait to read more as time permits and I guess I'm committing to a review of each chapter if that is okay with you.

I'll be posting something new very soon-I look forward to sharing more work!
TheDarkArtist chapter 2 . 8/13/2012
I've read your first two chapters and I promise to read more as time permits, but I sincerely wanted to give you a huge thumbs up on the world and characters you've created in this story. Your description flows smoothly with the narrative and I absolutely love the dialogue. It's genuine. Do you have any short stories to post? I'd love to read other things you've written as well.

A big thanks also for reviewing my first posted story. I can't wait to finish my next "smallish" project titled "Save Her". Your opinion/critique of it will be well-received.

Again, I plan to read more of this and as I do I shall review futher! Cheers!
E Thornton Goode Jr chapter 1 . 5/28/2012
This story has the feel of the wonderful old movies of the 40s and 50s. Terrific description and details. You are right there with Susan in every moment. Truly, you will laugh at the humor in so many of the situations...and yes...you will cry a little, too. The author has captured what I think it means to be a good writer, moving the reader emotionally. Five Stars. Please take the time to read it. You WILL NOT be disappointed.
Rumors of War chapter 29 . 5/27/2012
This was an outstanding story! You have a very good eye for detail a lot of the incidents described in this story happened to me as well, There were a lot of things I could identify with (been to Wall Drug on anf off for over 50 years) I'm certainly adding this to my favorites list, way to go!
cutelittlelawyer chapter 24 . 5/8/2012
Oh my...Chrissy is certainly living dangerously! The assault was a shocking turn of events that I didn't -quite- see coming.

I had to grin at the comment that Rick should've changed his name to Averill. LOL
cutelittlelawyer chapter 23 . 5/8/2012
ugh...Trevor ( He turned out to be a real piece of work. Personally, I think Susan is well rid of him. It's awful how he spread all those rumours about her, too. At least her family believed her! It's nice that families can always be counted on.

I was happy that Susan wrote a nice post card to Russ.

hmm... I hope June doesn't move to Florida with Roland, but I have the feeling she's going to.

another great chapter!