Reviews for The Book
lookingwest chapter 1 . 10/6/2011
Really cool transition to each segment. I liked the overarching theme of life to death and then the stuff that comes before and after. Liked the idea of renewal with the last "after" segment because I thought you used the metaphor really well with the idea of painting over the pages of a book and making it new again. Cool take on the prompt, didn't see any problems, liked the title, liked the content. Great job, and best of luck with the WCC!
Dragon made me do it chapter 1 . 10/5/2011
Wonderful :-)

With a piece like this, I believe it can be interpreted in many different ways. I read it as a kind of philosophical discussion on fate and free will ('birth - it was already written and he didn't like the fact ... after -... he brought his own ink and brush and overwrote on his own book.')

Presumably there is some sort of assumption of an afterlife and/or reincarnation with the references to consciousness before and after birth.

I enjoyed the metaphor of life as a book, and your imagery of snow as the pages and soil as the ink.

There is some understanding of not really fitting into the world: 'he is was a triangle in the jungle of circles' and perhaps also to the legacy given to him by his ancestors 'they were raised and the drops from his mop went running ahead of time' - I understood this to be a kind of taking charge of his free will by removing the legacy of his ancestors to predetermine his fate.

You have an interesting reference to the prompt: 'waxen bees who drank from the honey of thoughts'

One small typo: 'the centuries had ingrained into is collective imagination' should be 'his' instead of 'is', although if you are talking about a collective imagination, you should presumably referred to a group of people, so you might instead say something like 'his society's collective imagination or something'.

I really enjoyed this piece, you have done a lot with very few words :-)
YasuRan chapter 1 . 10/5/2011
Lovely imagery! Despite the sunny vivid overtures used to depict the protagonist's thoughts, the sense of melancholy seeps through as if it isn't enough for a rich, fulfilling life. Throughout the passage, I got the impression that he seemed to be missing something in his life.