Reviews for Mother of Learning
AcceleratorStrongestLv5 chapter 108 . 10/24
Nice work
Returning Reader chapter 45 . 10/24
I have enjoyed the story for years, coming back for many reread as it updated and finished. Can’t wait for my physical copy!

Anyway, the point of this specific review was to thank you for the diverse cast of female characters. They populate Zorian’s world the way they populate my own, something that should be common but is surprisingly rare in the fantasy genre. If I felt more confident about my ability to spell their names from memory I would list them, but as it stands I’ll simply say thank you for making them people with their own goals and lives rather than stereotypes and accessories. Zorian’s mother, sister, landlady, friends, classmates, teachers, and enemies all exist with as much detail as his male family, teachers, classmates, employers, and enemies. It sucks that I am so pleasantly surprised by it, but that doesn’t make the joy I get out of this story any less. I adore your wealth building and hope to continue enjoying it for decades to come..

Wish you the best.
Fence chapter 2 . 10/16
Too much telling not enough showing of the characters and their emotions, too much just going through the daily life, there is no problem, no climax, only threat that has been even vaguely hinted at is something perhaps going on with the festival. All in all, not a bad read, just some small amateurish moves with the characters.
Guest chapter 44 . 10/7
The walking doormat is now comforting and soothing bruised egos that are jealous of him. Ugh.
Guest chapter 43 . 10/7
The MC is way too much of a doormat. He lets himself get bullied into giving magic lessons to his 9 year old sister, babysitting her, and sinking hundreds of hours into her when she won’t even remember it because of the time loop.
He allows himself to get bullied into being forced to go to the school dance many times.
He spends hours doing menial tasks for no reward.
It’s just revolting he’s spent years in-loop-time wasting so much of his time.
Guest chapter 17 . 10/6
The telepathic spider nonsense is very stupid.
Guest chapter 15 . 10/6
The little sister is beyond annoying.
Guest chapter 108 . 10/3
Guest chapter 108 . 9/5
Easy 5 stars!
north1085 chapter 108 . 9/3
I love these characters. My biggest disappointment with MoL was that I never got to read about Zorian's confrontation with his parents about Kirielle, which was the emotional conflict I was most invested in for the entire story. Something best saved for the possible sequel, I suppose, which I am hoping will be more slice-of-life.

I don't usually care about world-ending plots at all, but you made it interesting. Quatach-Ichl is charismatic enough that I almost wanted to root for his victory. While very subtle, I also liked that he cares deeply for his country and people; he's not just some cold-blooded monster looking for a fight. To him, the world is always embroiled in warfare, save for temporary moments of peace; it's the way life works—the way life has worked for over 1,000 years. It only makes sense to strike your enemies hard and fast to make sure your side comes out on top. I also really love Silverlake. Nobody should have to die just for being around too long, and why should your body have to break down over time? She's sharp, vicious, and logical. She knows how to lose. The only character I hate and feel was rather boring is Jornak...he's just a lying hypocrite with a psychotic streak and delusions of grandeur.

What I love most about characters in MoL is their many sides. Zorian immediately dismisses many characters at the beginning of the story based on first impressions and limited interactions. People are just not that simple. And so it happens that many of the best moments of MoL are when characters reveal other sides of themselves. Like when Xvim reveals that he is intentionally a hardass on his students for a month or two in order to provoke them, so of course Zorian has never learned that there is more to him until now. Kirielle is the best example of this, of course, but you double-down on this with the reveal that Zorian's mother is preventing Kirielle from making her own choices out of a desire to protect her. And Zorian's father, of course...perhaps ironically, they are the two most alike in the entire family. Hell, you made me feel loss, nostalgia, and relief for a giant telepathic, manipulative jumping spider that worked behind Zorian's back in an effort to betray him!

Zorian's empathy is the purest expression of this idea in MoL; that's what really changes him. He finally comes to understand the people around him and comes to understand himself. Empathy is the key. Zorian has clearly come to internalize this by the end of the story, where he laments that even the most boring person will have an intricately detailed life and perspective he couldn't possibly conceive of. Somebody suggested that they were sure that Red Robe was Zorian (of course, I ruled this out immediately based on the fact that Zorian could tell he was a flickermind in their first encounter), but I think that would be very fitting, in a way. If RR Zorian were placed in the same position as Jornak, then this is the person he would have become without empathy. He wouldn't have proper control over The Gift even after all this time. You know, metaphorically speaking, Zorian is his own worst enemy, except the metaphor is very literal in this case.

Eh, I can see why that would have been far more difficult to pull off. But thematically, I think it's perfect. I'm still disappointed with who RR ended up being as a character.

I have never cared much for fantasy works, but MoL is far more grounded and logical in its worldbuilding than I'm used to, which sold me on it in the beginning and kept me interested in the 70~90 chapter range, which I think was easily the weakest section of MoL. But the characters are what got me interested in the world to begin with.

I would love to read more about these characters someday.
Guest chapter 108 . 8/23
My first web novel but definitely not my last. The writing isn’t perfect but it’s sure as hell engaging and inspiring. I’ve thoroughly enjoyed it and am looking forward to Nobody’s future works. Best of luck to you!
AggressiveCrab007 chapter 35 . 8/2
WAIT! I think I got how the Cyorian Aranea were killed! Red Hood probably knows the 'programming' of the time loop, so he simply excluded the aranea from it by marking them to be excluded, right?
Also, is Redhood Daimen?
AggressiveCrab007 chapter 27 . 8/1
Hey, really loving your story so far. I just wish the protags weren't physically 13. I don't mean to insinuate anything, but I feel like you were a bit inspired by Harry Potter fanfictions.
Thanks for this wonderful journey.
frostwolf374 chapter 1 . 7/20
Re-reading this. It was so awesome the first time around that I want to experience it again.
EmotionalWreck chapter 107 . 7/1
This epilogue is kinda dogshit, did you botch it or something?
The parents trope is completly abandoned,
Zach does not show up, did he not defy heavens to save him?
What about fortov
What about Damien wife and his parents? Are they happy now that they have a portal?
Very unsatisfying end tbh, you should rework that epilogue for your book publishing or just exclude the epilogue altogether
6,097 | Page 1 2 3 4 11 .. Last Next »