Reviews for Madame Deficit and the Incorruptible
Maxim Peters chapter 1 . 11/17/2015
Bloody Brilliant, you have talent sweetie
Sasquatch097 chapter 1 . 10/23/2011
I know I said I would read this piece in December, but I read it anyway.

This piece is incredibly creative in its subject matter - a peculiar and engrossing mixture of history and personality. It sets my knowledge of Robespierre's Reign of Terror in a different light. He is a complicated man, and by your descriptions no less enigmatic and powerful than he should be.

There are a few opportunities to improve, I think. I don't believe Marie could escape so easily, or get back in for that matter. At the house where Robespierre lives, it's hard again to convince me that she entered a random window, and it was Robespierre's room - not unless she realizes, in a befittingly frightened manner, that Robespierre could be in the room at that very moment. These, however, are issues of continuity - I'm sure Marie still had a few friends and allies in France that could provide her with ample support on both these matters.

The only other topic is the exposition and introspection. While the non-romantic style of literature lends to the realism of her plight, I want to see her struggle more and be less...worldly, you might say. Nowadays we have accurate hindsight on what happened, and who was right. But at that time, like in most revolutions, it must have been tensely emotional.

I put myself in her shoes (mind you, I'm 6'3" and a big guy) and at the thought of my children having their heads chopped off...I wouldn't be able to control my, quite understandably, bi-polar emotions. I would be sweating buckets and raising my voice and my limbs would be shaking as I held the pistol. I would be inconsolable.

In the conclusion, while I think Marie's emotions and the story continuity could be shored up a little bit, the exposition is fantastic and the characterization of Robespierre's emerald liquid eyes...beautiful. Stunning work