Reviews for So Long From Home and Acadie
prettyporcelainlace chapter 5 . 2/4/2012
I can quite truthfully say that I have never really read anything quite like this. Though I'm not sure whether or not I particularly liked it, it was interesting to read nonetheless. The style was quite unusual, yet I found that I was still curious enough to want to continue reading it, so I suppose that on a few levels, I really did enjoy it.

Thanks for sharing!

Prettyporcelainlace x
PalindromeIsntOne chapter 5 . 12/6/2011
Okay, I've finished it now.

I really like the fantasy feel, the story telling captures the emotion well despite being quite succinct and the idea itself is really intriguing. The idea of the bird being linked to the white-haired boy and then linked back to the bird at the end gave it a wholesome feel, even though the story doesn't end happily. For a complete parcel you might have hinted at a potential No-Face character in the original story told by Romeo, though that doesn't matter - it's just a thought. The verse at the end was written really well and I think it fits in, though for me it was admittedly unexpected.

I get the impression you intended for Gabriel to have completely forgotten Romeo by the end because of the line "Now who was that, I wonder." However when I first saw the line: "I don't know you; I am staying," I initially thought it could be ambiguous whether or not Gabriel really has forgotten Romeo at the end or if he is just saying it because he wants to stay, which could have been quite cutting to play on. Using ambiguity could also leave it open to reader interpretation - has No-Face enchanted him or is it just that Gabriel thinks he has found where he is meant to be, leading to questioning of: Is No-Face really evil? What are his motives? (We never know) As the magic behind the bird element is never fully explained (i.e. also ambiguous) this might have slotted in nicely. Anyway ‘I don’t know you’ is certainly more shorthand than having any emotional explanations of why Gabriel might want to stay with No-Face, and keeps it more distant and in with the light story-telling feel.

On another note, I do enjoy the 'consulting the wise man' and the classic 'this is as far as I can go' from the guide, touches that make this feel like a lovely traditional tale. I’m not sure, however, if this conflicts with the use of the present tense used to tell it. Not that I object, I actually really enjoy present-tense stories, but it crossed my mind.

Overall I really liked it; I loved the characters and concept and style and the intriguing carry through with a very neat, if sad, end.

On another note, I also think this is the longest review I’ve ever written in my life. Great fic!
PalindromeIsntOne chapter 1 . 12/4/2011
I checked out the poem - not sure how far you're going to interpret it, but not fussed even if it's just the one verse for art...ism.

Two typos that I spotted: One in the poem - 'Althrough the fields of Acadie' You put 'Athrough' Missing an l there. Then at the end: 'she wasn't heard a good story in ages.' 'Hasn't', presumably.

Anyway, looking to be good...the end of that chapter is sort of like the 'Are you sitting comfortably? Then I'll begin' classic type feel, so I'll look forward to see how the narrative goes from here.

I can already tell I'm going to like Aurelie. Lovely or what? Unless she's secretly evil...But I can't really see that.

What happened to Romeo's shoes? Dear dear, he needs to put his feet up...
fumoso-hiver chapter 2 . 11/4/2011
What is the time period? This seems like it happens in a totally fiction world but you mentioned that the setting is still in Canada, right? I think the story is interesting. I want to know more.
fumoso-hiver chapter 1 . 11/4/2011
Oooh, love the writing style. So poetic. Apology for the late review. Been away for a while. :) I'm not sure what this story is gonna be about, but the first chapter has got me hooked. I'm off to chapter 2.