Reviews for Welcome to Wonderland
Do Play With Fire chapter 1 . 8/5/2012
Very interesting and sad.
-DPWF
Dragon made me do it chapter 1 . 11/6/2011
Wow, I really appreciated the sheer complexity of this story. had to do a lot of thinking as I read through it.

It wasn't just about making a contemporary version of Alice in Wonderland, it tapped on the very pertinent fear of global economic collapse and the fragility of modern civilisation that this generates.

This ties back well to the prompt, not just through your connection of Alice falling down the rabbit hole introducing her to a world that even in the original is quite dark and scary, but on another level with the putting into question the unquestioning expectation of safety that comes from first world peacetime life. I suppose the September 11 attacks might have been another example of this.

And then I see another connection to the prompt, the situation refugees are put under that when seeking a safer place than what they are fleeing, they are often putting themselves at risk in both the journey, and in the unknown nature of the destination.

I appreciated a lot of the little Alice in Wonderland references, the cutting off heads, the character names that were cards. if I understood correctly, you drew this out further to then add some chess metaphors, with the characters Knight and Rook. I pictured the 60 minute war as a kind of real life chess game.

Great story and good luck in the contest :-)

Spelling/grammar/punctuation:

'We've have handled situations like this before!' - take out 'have'

'He spitted one on a twig' - spitted should be spat
UNDERLANDERfromtheOVERLAND chapter 1 . 11/6/2011
This is amazing! I don't know why, but I love it! Sorry I havn't been reading Scattered Sparks and Sin, but I just managed to sneak in a few minutes and this was the first one that popped up.
cerebral1 chapter 1 . 11/5/2011
"I was safe in Portland." Ha ha. That line struck me funny.

Great twist on Alice in Wonderland; brought to the 21st century. Tim Burton could really do an apocalyptic Wonderland, as could Johnny Depp's Hatter, who I pictured in this story.

Very original, while still maintaining the Alice in Wonderland characters.

Rabbit drives a pickup? Hatter wears a military issue helnet? Good stuff.

Enjoyable read. Good luck!
YasuRan chapter 1 . 11/4/2011
Fantastic work. I enjoyed all the 'Alice in Wonderland' metaphors, especially when it was off with Scarlet's head, literally. For a oneshot, the action was seamless and stylish enough to entertain despite its brevity. I like that you featured some of the minor players in the original book (the rook, ace, spade, etc) in important roles. Made them more badass, if I must say :).

Hatter's death seemed appropriately climatic, with the riddle interwoven into his last moments. The relationship between him and Alice was shown well, while reminding me of the Tim Burton movie where they shared had a similar close bond.

Overall, well though out and delivered. Good luck in the competition!
i-dream-thestorm chapter 1 . 11/4/2011
and you said you didn't write fanfiction.