Reviews for Letters
savor those enticing dreams chapter 1 . 6/5/2012
seriously, you have incredible imagery in your writing!

and this made me want to start keeping a box of letters.
J112011 chapter 1 . 11/25/2011
I like how you describe the passage of time here. I don't know how to write well about poetry, but I like this piece.
cerebral1 chapter 1 . 11/6/2011
Okay, so here is another entry that at first read comes off light and airy, yet at second and third reading, I come up with the possibility of the narrator going out to a grave or mausoleum, or crematorium to leave notes/memories with a loved one. Probably wrong, but they do say poetry can be widely and diversely appreciated, so, hey!

Very thought-provoking! Good job, and good luck in the WCC!
Who Is This Girl Anyway chapter 1 . 11/6/2011
You have some lovely imagery in this which really brings the piece alive. You've put effort into your description, and it shows- it's wonderful to see someone using such fresh, original ideas in their writing as opposed to the usual suspects(rose red, etc).

I also enjoyed the vagueness of this piece, as it prevents the speaker from becoming whingey or dull. He/she reminds me a little of Offred from The Handmaid's Tale(great read, if you're interested). You're speaker is clearly thoughtful and intelligent, but also seems a little detatched, as though they don't feel quite ready to deal with their problems. Personally, I like this sort of narrator as there's a sort of mystery- what happened that they want to keep their distance from?

Katie.
Dragon made me do it chapter 1 . 11/5/2011
Oh how wonderful! So glad you didn't feel tempted to explain everything at the end, it was perfect ending it the way you did.

My favourite parts were:

'I look into the field from my window and

see the angular corners of the safe

gleaming, broken lines,

like the frigid bones of a lesser moon.'

And

'Everyday I tread to the box in the snow.

With my mitts I wipe off the white flakes, puncture the crust, then

I see it, a line like a cat's pupil,

black and slim.'

I had wondered whether the person might have been illiterate since they couldn't read the numbers on the safe, but it sounds more like more generalised either dementia, or some kind of complete distancing from society. but I think it's better that you don't explain because this puts us into the state of mind of the narrator, not truly understanding their situation. and I presume locking letters away into a safe that they can't open would indicate a lack of desire to read rather than ability. It is interesting though that even though they go to such lengths to avoid reading the letters, they go to equally great lengths not to destroy them.

This is a really strong entry, you don't see a lot of poetry in this contest so I appreciate it when a good one comes along :-)

Spelling/grammar/punctuation:

'The safe sits in the middle in the field behind the house.' - shouldn't this be 'in the middle of the field'

'And the earth drinks up all the melted

snow and turns brown and

the safe turned the colour of dead leaves again.' - I think you have mixed the tenses here, should the second one be turns rather than turned?
DefineBeauty chapter 1 . 11/5/2011
I really like this piece! Very entrancing.

I love the imagery in this, it is absolutely beautiful and so vivid and crisp. I can picture this being outside if I looked out my window. Though an interesting sight, I really like the idea.

The idea is probably what I love most about this piece. To write and not have to feel obligated to make it up to other people's expectations would feel so fantastic! To just write and not care and have no one else ever read it. Simply amazing. It just fulfills one's need to express themselves.

The tone of this makes it all the better. It's as if this is her (or his) way of being at peace with the world and it's always been there and always will be.

I only have one critique in the last stanza. I would suggest making it two sentences in the very end (maybe it is already supposed to be?) by putting a period after "tell" and capitalizing "Whom"

Excellent piece! ]