Reviews for how i forgot how to write
I see London I see Sam's Town chapter 1 . 11/19/2011
I am pretty sure I said I would return a review quite a while ago, yeah? So after school-related stress and a laptop crash, I remembered! (I am also looking for procrastinating activities, as they are much more interesting than studying for another biology exam.)

Anywho! I completely share the frustration in your creative block, as I have been experiencing the same issue for close to a year now. I sit and say, "I want to write!" but then stare a blank paper or a puddle of word vomit that should immediately burn just for existing.

There are few pointers I could give this piece; however, it's stream-of-conscious writing, so I think constructive criticism on this alone would be moot. What I will do, I think, is perhaps recommend a few books/authors to read? In this period of creative frustration, I have found myself becoming more of an avid reader and every once and a little while I obtain an 'Aha!' moment. As attempts to write something, I sometimes write poems that piggy-back off the ideas published poets present in their poems.

I'm unsure what your literary tastes are, but I highly suggest reading Rainer Maria Rilke. "Duino Elegies & the Sonnets to Orpheus" (translated by A. Poulin) was the first book of his I read and fell in love with the beautiful language. (Rilke's "Book of Hours" is also a delicious read.)

"Jelly Roll: A Blues" by Kevin Young is, if anything, enjoyable with often slick wording. Young also produced an anthology of poetry after his father's death called "The Art of Losing: Poems of Grief and Healing." It exposes a wide variety of all types of poets from style, views, and time periods.

(I also like to read other people's work on deviantArt. It's a lot easier for me to find well-written lit pieces on there than here, but then again: I've never integrated myself into the FP community very well.)

I also must say: "how nobody ever wants / anybody but themselves to succeed." How true, when someone's passionate (and/or competitive) enough for something. These lines actually remind me of a poem I recently read by Kim Addonizio. She writes:

"So don't pretend / you're glad when your old friends / get lucky in work, or love, / while you're still drifting through life / like a lobster in a restaurant tank."

Hope you find the ease to write again (sooner rather than later)! I know the feeling can be all too frustrating.