Reviews for Wastecase Chorus
Dragon made me do it chapter 1 . 12/6/2011
The artist's life is never easy!

I read this a comment on the situation a creative professional finds themself in where you either starve or sell out. There is this kind of moralising that goes on about anyone who takes the middle ground, and the artist judges themselves not only for having to change their work to suit their audience, but almost for the success itself. As if they lose a degree of purity through popularity.

I read it as a songwriter and singer at first, but now I'm not sure. There is this relationship with songwriter and singer of handing over your creative baby to someone else to look after, and having to trust them with it, I suppose it's the same for an author when a book is converted into a film.

'Sometimes, they buy a hacked lung

cut into strips, buried in his vinyls.' - this has got to be my favourite line I think :)

'bring about a the image' - take out 'a'
SmashedIce.X chapter 1 . 12/6/2011
Oh my gosh, I cannot put into words just how amazing this is! :)
little egret chapter 1 . 12/5/2011
There were some lines in this that I really enjoyed. I loved the "Broken hearts meet my chest cavity/ hours too late." and "The words that escape his lips / bring about the image of a / burdened wastecase." I love the word "wastecase" because I think it invokes the meaning of "basketcase" but with more of a uselessness tone in effect. I thought creating that new word worked really well! I loved the content that you made into a story through poetic form. It's very much a narrative because it employs dialogue and characters, and I think you convey the progress of a relationship between the speaker and "him" really well because of those narrative devices.

I feel like the content focuses on what might be a break-up between two people, where the "him" is part of a band that gains some considerable fame. I think that's a creative concept to focus on for a poem, and I like how you focus on the desire of the speaker, even if they're considered "sinful" as stated in the last stanza. This all came together really well and I enjoyed the language you use.
YasuRan chapter 1 . 12/4/2011
Very nice. The hints of all these conflicting emotions build up to this throbbing heartache within the story. I get the feeling that there's more to this apparently one-sided love affair than it seems, judging from this verse:

'And they purchase my heart

equally portioned in little diamond squares

hidden and wound inside his

plastic cases and cheap CD's.

Sometimes, they buy a hacked lung

cut into strips, buried in his vinyls.' - there seems to be this lovely undercurrent of sadness on both sides.