Reviews for The Colour of the Summer Sky
Aletiah chapter 1 . 11/5/2012
This is beautiful! I don't know why, but when I read this, I kept thinking that Sean is dead, even though I know he's not, he's in Toronto and he can come back to visit. I guess it's because it's so sad.
I have already told you that I love sad stories, but I also love happy endings, so I guess I will have to make it up in my mind that Andy goes to Toronto after graduation and everything will be fine between the two boys :)
Skyless11 chapter 1 . 8/6/2012
I liked this!
A whole story synthesized in one letter. And the great part is that it didn't lose any of the characteristics of a story just because it's minimised. Of course, there wasn't the usual thrill of "what's going to happen next", but at the end I got relatively the same satisfaction I would've got from reading this story en d├ętails. Actually I think I enjoy it just as much just because a letter conveys feelings in a direct way, easier to intercept than a 3rd person narrative, to say so. And sure enough, Andy conveyed his feelings well.
Now, what captured my attention was "I want to know that somebody else remembers them like I do". It's a very puzzling thing to say - on one side it shows what a deep connection the two had and how much they marked Andy, and their importance for him, but on the other it shows a high degree of uncertainty... I think this phrase gives a whole new dimension to the the text. At the same time it's interesting that you put it near the fin of the text: if it had been at the beginning it would've given a completely different key for reading the text. But the way you put it in the end just "tickled" my mind in a way that most stories don't.
Very beautifully written at the same time.
Also, it's nice to see that you're trying different writing techniques. Do you have one that you prefer, or mastered to some point? I would very much like to read a story in that style (if there is one :D)
Great Job!
Cheers
Sky.
Darkest Bliss chapter 1 . 7/10/2012
Nice. Feels refreshing and calm throughout. Great job!
Honunjama chapter 1 . 3/14/2012
I'm a terrible friend:p I can't believe I didn't read this before.

Because it's really really lovely and poignant and true. I feel for Andy and his kind of accepting melancholy at the way things are.

Suki .
someplacenice chapter 1 . 2/23/2012
This is beautiful. I managed to feel really connected [that's not weird, is it?] with Andy, despite knowing practically nothing about him. Just the way he wrote the letter had me hooked and all the memories he recalls gives you a really vivid imagination of what they had together. It was amazing, well done :D
ImmanenceEnsured chapter 1 . 2/4/2012
Your summary said this was worth a read, and it was:) I really enjoyed this cute little letter, and your main character feels natural and sweet even though he doesn't reveal much about himself. Maybe that's what makes him lovable, the way he just writes about his shared memories as the are. Because they aren't too extraordinary or dramatic, but you can feel they are precious to him. And you really start hoping - checks - Sean feels the same way. This left me with a smile. Thanks!
3 chapter 1 . 12/28/2011
This is such a sweet love letter! Ugh my heart feels all warm and fuzzy... and sad now! STOP MAKING ME FEEL THESE EMOTIONS! Would love to read more short stories like this!
PalindromeIsntOne chapter 1 . 12/7/2011
This is really beautiful.

Not sure I have much to comment really. It was like a real love letter. All the little pieces of history and detail - it was like these two had really got a whole history and love story and ongoing relationship, and we were looking at a snapshot of it.

'You always acted so cool and collected; I never guessed you were as lost as I was.' - could almost be metaphorical, the depth of the thoughts at the beginning are really reflective and set a mood that gets progressively lighter, almost as though writing this letter is a sort of catharsis (not quite the word but you know what I mean) for Andy's missing him, and as the letter gets towards the end it gets happier and happier until we have the promise of the two of them meeting again.

A really sweet, beautiful piece.
fumoso-hiver chapter 1 . 12/7/2011
At first I was reading this along with a happy, cheery music. After the quote, I changed the music into something classical. After the first paragraph I turned off the music.

This needs tranquillity.

It's beautiful, clear and concise. Poetic but not dramatically sentimental. I could feel the autumn, even if I've never experienced one. (I live in a tropical country.) Awesome.
crocodile chapter 1 . 12/6/2011
this is cute in its bittersweet tone. i like that the letter doesn't seem forced with imagery, even though there are definitely a lot of images in it. for some reason i really enjoy the part where Andy lost the mix-cd; it felt very human, i suppose. nice job!