Reviews for Reading Lolita
The Autumn Queen chapter 1 . 7/7/2012
I really like the first part of the first sentence. Especially considering the topic, it is an attention-grabbing beginning. The simile is something that is both out-there and relatable (even if our remaining old relatives don't have glass eyes - perhaps dentures are more common) - but it really makes an interesting and thought-provoking beginning.

I also like the formal yet engaging manner in which you've made your argument. What I find takes a little away however is the length of some of your sentences. For eg: [Given the victim blame already mentioned and the novel's persuasive prose, it seems logical that Nabokov would predict the possible reaction that certain readers might miss the point and consequently begin the novel with a warning from someone the reader can trust: John Ray, Jr, a doctor whose view is marred by neither ignorance nor experience.] - by the time you get to the end, the idea you introduced at the beginning became lost, particularly when it's the initial paragraph, meant to showcase the topic in a way that wants the reader to read the rest of the subject, as opposed to getting bogged down. The longer sentences work better at the explanation and evidence parts in the middle of the paragraph, but it's still not a good idea to have them that long.
OneOriginalThing chapter 1 . 7/7/2012
Though I find your views on Lolita's cunning adult ness and what not intriguing. I find the statistic, very expected and overall it doesn't say much. Because the percentage is so low, that it doesn't make much of an impact. To refine your essay I would suggest find a different statistic, something more out of the box that relates to this story in a very out of the box way, which really gives a unique tWist. Now you also mentioned how the author always does these wordplays, well you could explain how he does this in other stories as well. Allowing the reader to under stand better the authors style even if they have never read any of his books before. Overall it was a good essay.
Letters97 chapter 1 . 6/3/2012
I haven't read Lolita, but now I'mintrigued. It seems darkly fascinating. Now, I'm not very good with essays, but I do have to say that your introductory line drew me in completely. Good job.
J112011 chapter 1 . 12/11/2011
I haven't read Lolita, but overall, this is pretty well written. Is this something you had to do for school?
Ajvanho Rgx chapter 1 . 12/8/2011
NICE! I like it. So this is the newest story?