Reviews for A Very Gallant Gentleman
Anonymous chapter 1 . 7/5/2013
Despite the fact that I'm much more of an Amundsen fan than I am of Scott, your story made me cry for a good solid ten minutes before I managed to calm myself down enough to write this comment. I know you wrote this a long time ago, but I wish I could read more! The story was amazing. Bravo!
DutchAver chapter 1 . 5/1/2012
I am very much impressed by this. You really like writing historical fiction, obviously, and I can see why now. Because you're simply very, very good at it.

Honestly, I think this works fine as a one-shot, but if you want to write a second chapter, don't let me stop you, because this is really good. Maybe the best thing you've written.

It's such a shame that he won't survive, that he won't make it, and I really feel for Lucy in this story.

Well done! This one's going in my favourites. And on Alert, just in case xD
Nintendo Fan 101 chapter 1 . 12/24/2011
I like it just the way it is!
Jax Creation chapter 1 . 12/21/2011
I'll admit I've never been one to study a lot of history. While I do find events of the past fascinating it's never been something I've pursued in my spare time, so while I do know the general gist of this particular event in time, most of this will be relatively new to me as I have not studied it.

First off I have to say that this is a beautiful piece. There is so much emotion in these words that I have to admit I got a little teary reading Oates's letter and the way in which he voluntarily walked to his doom, but that is just another tribute to the excellence of your writing. I am prepared to bet that by the end of this story I probably will cry.

"Are you fine, Soldier?" - by God, that is a heartless statement. With a wound that is obviously rotting and Oates obviously having very little hope, that is just cruel. Clearly Scott is the pragmatic type, but still...

Anyway, I'm afraid that I have every little to offer by the way of crit other than a few little grammatical errors:

• "I'm fine," I pause and then remember to add[,] "Sir."

• "Especially the lad, what's his name...," - no comma after the ellipses.

• "I say as I find myself a fresh sheet of paper and a pencil with which to write."

Also a little formatting suggestion to put page breaks after "I think it's my birthday tomorrow.", and between the two diary entries.

A lovely piece. I am subscribing to this one.

Jax C.
Rose chapter 1 . 12/21/2011
I don't know much about this event, but it was really sad to read. The mood was quite spectactular and you felt the pain of the men.

Rose
thenutrunningthenuthouse chapter 1 . 12/19/2011
You know waht's so insane about this? I totally read a book that was about a girl who idolized (and hallucinated) Captain Oates! Finally, I know what you're talking about!

I love that quick thought about the wound and how it had become so bad that he began to resent it, despite it being pretty harmless before. I think a lot of us feel that way about something. SYMBOLISM IN THE FIRST FEW LINES FTW.

Your description of the crew is intriguing in its simplicity; all Oates had to do was say that one member was recording info and the other was reading to understand just how each of them was dealing with their imminent deaths.

It's so sweet the way Oates talks about his kids.

That was a very sweet one-shot. I'd probably keep it a one-shot unless you wish to write about how the death of Oates affected his family...perhaps Tom becoming an explorer himself or something...well I'm off to read E&A...
seredemia chapter 1 . 12/19/2011
I can tell you really like history, as most of your stories have it/ are based off it. I really like it cos theyre interesting and are easy to understand. I never understood history in my school. but your stories make sense to me :D

AND OH MY GOD. FROZEN PLANET. My geography teacher makes us watch that if she's too busy to teach us anything during our lesson :')I love your inspiration for this story!

Ouch. His description of his impending death is very blunt. It's as if he's already accepted it, which he has actually... It still makes it sound quite heartbreaking and emotional :(

And ohh... That letter was so heartbreaking and sad... It sounded very beautiful, and you can tell he really loves her... *cries buckets of tears*

Anyway, this was a great oneshot! I like the ending, and I think it's great on its own! :)