Reviews for Life is Just a Choice
Planeguy121 chapter 1 . 5/14/2012
Wow. I don't really read these kinds of stories, but that was really touching, considering that a friend of mine killed himself a month ago.
Who Is This Girl Anyway chapter 1 . 12/20/2011
I admit, I had reservations about reading this- there are a lot of stories about teenagers who cut themselves, and it's an issue that some authors throw in just for a cheap thrill, which is wrong. I've never done it myself, but I've recently started talking to a few new people, and I've noticed old scars on their arms- though, thank God, no fresh cuts. It's a serious issue today, and I can't stand it when it's degraded to a hat trick, a by-the-way, something that can be dropped into the story just to shock the reader.

But you didn't do that. You took the issue and treated it with the respect. You didn't cheapen or trivialise; you tried to tackle the issue and help people. That, I think, takes a lot of guts as an author, and I admire you for it. It's a brave step to take as a writer.

I think you did a good job of conveying the main character's thoughts and the way she describes “Him” is very telling and reallistic. You can see how angry she is at him to start with. I think it was also an interesting touch to introduce “His” son as having that same problem. I'm also glad that the best friend's death wasn't pointless- it helped someone else. It's an interesting point to make, that we have to learn from our mistakes as humans and not let history repeat itself.

I noticed one or two grammatical errors and misplaced words, but they're easily fixed. The only one I remember is this one:

“She best friend says she had a bad day, and wants to be left alone, because that guy was making out with a girl in the bathroom, and her best friend had walked in on it.”- I think it's meant to say “Her best friend”

It was occasionally slightly confusing at points because none of the characters were named, but it worked in a way- the lack of detail regarding her appearance/identity makes her more effective because she could be anyone- she could be someone I know.

Anyway, you've done a really good job and thank you so much for not trivialising the issue. Good luck with anything else you write and well done on this piece.

Katie.
JamesFash chapter 1 . 12/20/2011
This story is one that needs to be told. Teenage suicide is a very serious problem in the world and it does a great job at presenting a side that writers tend to ignore, the concerned friend. Coming from someone whose been on the other side with the cutting and depression it's nice to see something from this perspective. It shows me what the few friends who know my story were dealing with, so content wise this story does an excellent job presenting the subject matter. Now there are parts of the story where the wording of the story can get a little choppy and hard to understand. There are also some word mishaps, like I remember seeing one point where "she" was written instead of "her," but for the story it is forgivable. There were also some grammar mishaps in the story. I specifically remember seeing one or two comma splices. The word mishaps, choppiness, and grammar issues make it a little hard to read at some points, but with a little adjustment it can be even better than it already is. Overall I think this story does a great job of presenting the subject matter. On a scale of one to ten, I'd give it an 8.

-James Fash