Reviews for A Night at the Opera
Dr. Self Destruct chapter 10 . 7/25/2012
Ah, this is such a twisted short story. I like how you leave the main character unnamed because it makes people feel like it could be anyone, possibly even themselves one day. And the subtle hints that are dropped through these men's actions and dialogue make it very obvious what happened to this boy's father. I feel really bad for him, having to take up his father's debts and paying for the things his father has done. It's very unfair, but I guess that's what happens when people get involved in these types of "clubs." The fact that there are police officers doing these old men's bidding also shows how extensive their reach is.

I thought the twist at the end was great. I wonder if he's really going to be able to go through with it. I'd like to think he ends up using that knife to cut her free, but... I dunno.

Great job, I really enjoyed this. :)
Grimpeddler chapter 2 . 7/12/2012
I loved this chapter. The love was great, very sweet.
Grimpeddler chapter 1 . 7/12/2012
It was really interesting. I liked the ending a lot; he seems to carry a lot of guilt. It makes me wonder if the woman was a vampire or just a 'normal' woman fantasizing. I don't know. Really cool, I'll have to read the rest.
surfercharlie25 chapter 1 . 7/4/2012
This was a good piece; it has a surreal feel to it, as some of Queen's best (I'm particularly thinking of "Another One Bites the Dust") has. It's not really my kind of horror (I go for the more red-blooded, grass-roots Stephen King sort), but it is good, and it has a creepy, poetic feel in its simplicity.

Nice work!
Aspiemor chapter 2 . 6/14/2012
The detail you had in this story was incredible. I absolutely loved this chapter. What got to me was their declaration of love. Couples make me jealous but I like romance all the same. The vomiting part had a lot of detail and I could picture the splattering and well just about everything was descriptive.
Aspiemor chapter 1 . 6/14/2012
Personally I thought this was very well written. Short and sweet. I liked how you mentioned death and perfection go hand in hand with one another. That seemed like a good connection with one another. You're a good writer and you always try to help me. Sorry I can't be of more help to you but your writing seems perfect.
this wild abyss chapter 1 . 6/14/2012
I like this image you have of a demanding woman and her boyfriend/manservant. The relationship between them is immediately obvious. You've done a good job in portraying the dynamic between them. I also liked your lack of names in this short story. It made the prose impersonal, which I think was a good move, given the content. And an excellent last line, too.
xRayne wolfx chapter 1 . 5/30/2012
This was a beautiful one-shot.. I never heard of the cd your basing your one-shots on, but I'm in really in the mood to buy it now because of this. The details of the woman was clear and perfect, giving off a appearance that is angelic yet devilish at the same time. When it came to the two characters' relationship, to me, it felt a little vague and needed a little more to give off what they are like, but I liked it because it was gothic-like at the same time. Above all, I enjoyed this and it was really good from the beginning to the end. Nice job as always :)

Rayne
lookingwest chapter 1 . 5/28/2012
I thought this really fit for the album. Great characterization here. My favorite thing about this piece was the atmosphere. I love loved the line "she was as cliche as they came" or something to that effect, it was spot-on and a great phrase, written at just the right moment. Loved the setting and the way that the main woman almost seems to be part of it as she's sitting there. Very haunting. While her description and the situation was more stereotypical, this gave off the wonderful horror vibe and I thought you did a great job with it. You also managed to make the narrator feel sympathetic, which I thought was a plus, so by the end that horror vibe really comes through. The white skin and the description of the panties and everything was great, gave me a True Blood vibe too. Overall a descriptive and solid piece, this is a super creative idea, I like where you're going with the concept!
Nesasio chapter 5 . 4/20/2012
...it would whisper kind words in her ear...

-would not

Her grandmother had said goodbye to her grandfather...

-The grandmother in this makes the second her confusing. Clarify as Mary?

...and instances on saying safe.

-I assume this is meant to be some form of insistence?

Skipped ahead a bit here 'cause I love this song and wanted to see what you did with it.

I was a little unsure how you would link this together at first. The WWII beginning was a surprise but I was pulled in right away wanting to know how you'd tie in the idea of the song. I like the future echoes of the two stories, past to future.

I think I was a little more invested in the first Mary's story. Emotionally, it just appealed to me more, and I think her fear came across better than the latter Mary's confidence in her father's invulnerability. I did like how you had the future Mary doing research on the WWII Mary. It made the ending a bit obvious but nonetheless powerful because of its effect on the characters.
Nesasio chapter 1 . 4/20/2012
...the human race could not bring themselves to believe in it.

-Since this is 'the human race' rather than 'humans', should be 'itself'.

...a glazed, drugged look in her sharp green eyes.

-This is probably just personal interpretation, but 'sharp eyes' always implied alertness or intense anger to me, rather than being glazed or unfocused.

She was a cliché as they came.

-'as cliché'

I was going to check out some of the stories in your poll like you said at the RH but then I saw 'Queen' and had to look, haha. I really like this idea, of interpreting an entire album. I haven't seen a story collection like that before. It'll be interesting to see what you do with each song.

As for this one, I think you did a nice job portraying the overall idea of the song and picking some of the lines to emphasize. I felt bad for the guy; too bad he didn't get to act out the 'kiss my ass goodbye' bit of the song, eh?

I do like that he didn't always fear her, and wasn't even that repulsed by her in the end. He knew what she was and hated himself for being with her still, but he can see what makes her so enchanting. It makes the whole scene so much more tragic.
The Folk Extraction chapter 1 . 2/4/2012
I love how you take so much inspiration from music and Queen is such a great one to do this for. It's a brilliant album and this story really does it justice! The dialogue is really strong from beginning to end, and honestly, I'm really jealous of people who can write good short stories. They're so satisfying to read when they're well written. Really great work on this!
YasuRan chapter 4 . 2/3/2012
Oh God, I love this song!

Another cute oneshot. It had a lovely, cosy sort of feel to it, which made me feel all warm and fuzzy inside. Which may have been what Joey was going for in trying to comfort Sam. I enjoyed their rapport, especially the undercurrent of possibly unrequited feelings on Joey's side.

I also thought it was so sweet of him to rent all those movies and brave a snowstorm just to ensure that she would be all right. It just added to the whole cosy effect. Lovely work as usual :)
YasuRan chapter 2 . 1/3/2012
Oh, I enjoyed this. Just when I thought the events were taking a turn for the dramatic, you surprised me with that sweet ending. It was also realistic, given how the two characters seem way too young to be engaged. After two weeks of dating nonetheless.

On the other hand, I could really tell that Lily's feelings for him were genuine, despite her apprehension about the sudden engagement. It feels like a lovely prelude to a beautiful love story, just going from the vibes I get. They're young, a bit on the wild side, but you can't help rooting for them because of how much they care for each other's feelings.

'"Lily, will you wait-a-while-with-me-before-we-get-engaged-or-married?"' - I adore this alternative 'proposal'. It pretty much sums up what I liked about this couple's chemistry.
YasuRan chapter 1 . 12/30/2011
Delightfully sensual. I couldn't stop once I started reading, right through his downfall. Such is the hold of his vampire mistress on him and me as a reader. Some more detail on their relationship would have been nice, but as it is, it stands well on its own.

'Her body was beautiful. There were no marks or blemishes on it; like the dolls she admired so much, the static dancers and girls that stared out at them from the glass cabinet, she was porcelain. Not pale, but white. Pure white.' - A great contrast. It kinda reminds me of one of my favorite fictional vamps: Druscilla from the Buffy the Vampire Slayer series with her potent mix of childish good looks and danger.

A captivating start. Also, great album to take inspiration from ;)