Reviews for That Body of Work
Arethusa Cyberia chapter 3 . 4/26/2013
Might I add, DorianStray is an exceptional writer. I can see her writing career soaring far and wide if she decides to publish "Imaginary Beings."

That, of course, is just my opinion, but I am certain I'm not the only one who believes this.

I love that you're writing these essays, Harper. :) You're cool in my book.

Share and Enjoy, my friends.
SymbolCup chapter 14 . 4/21/2013
First of all, thank you for launching and carrying out such an ambitious and valuable project.

Your writing is thought-provoking and insightful. In the Tropes post, I particularly love the distinctions you draw between what is commonly observed in life and what is common to read about in stories. You are right to point out that the aim of stories is not necessarily to reflect the statistical truths of our reality (although a basis in reality can help). Perhaps the highest calling of fiction is to tap into the underlying emotional struggles and transformations that we all experience- and for this, a departure from the factual is sometimes necessary. I love that you referenced a fairy tale archetype which modern slash-specific tropes may have been born out of. Your point that the "damsel in distress" is a figure that still carries resonance for us was particularly surprising and pleasurable to read about- and, of course, right on point.

Excellent read.
qu1x chapter 14 . 11/24/2012
And, of course, that's the whole point of the overwhelming majority of the stories you'd find on FP being in either General Fiction or Romance Fiction.
We as human beings search for a sense of fulfillment, and if we must bend the rules of reality to fit in with our fantasy lives then so be it as long as they remain separate from each other.
That being said, sometimes even reality doesn't break away from these tropes because it all comes back to two things - human suffering and the pursuit of happiness. When reality is attempted, we come in contact with things we don't understand, sort of like what happens in Camus' The Stranger, but in a less exaggerated form. The result is that we wind up ignoring or imposing our own beliefs onto people, and, well, life happens.
I actually think it's kind of funny that you call - that we call - anything a "trope" or a "meme", like it's some fascinating, scintillating thing that just happened to show up and stick around for a while before fading into the back of our heads. It's just got me thinking; if this - no matter how statistically rare - happens to us in our lives and is part of the reason why we choose to read what we read, shouldn't we count it as normal?
This is so off topic and confusing, I'm sorry. I just needed to sort things out.
Really, instead of wasting your time and getting carried away with the meaning of life, I'd just like to say that I'd like to generalize your tropes out into universal motifs: Realization, Transformation, and Self-inflicted Suffering. It just perplexes me that it suddenly becomes apparent in slash writing. Are we so inured to "het" writing that we don't even notice them? I mean, when you think about it, it happens everywhere. Perhaps it is statistically improbable, but the fact that it DOES happen just makes it all the more tangible and probable.
livingspiritz1 chapter 10 . 10/9/2012
Pretty damn accurate, Conroy ;)
goudacheese chapter 14 . 10/9/2012
This is totally true, yeah. I see these themes a lot when I think about it, but I guess it's because, like ... we as authors want our characters to go through some kind of development/transformation/growth and in a slash-centric story these are a few ways to make that happen? Yeah. I mean. I don't have much more great insight or anything, but I definitely see where you're coming from because these are really common themes in most, if not all of the stories I've read. This was an interesting read though! I haven't actually gotten around to reading any of the other chapters of this, but I think I will do that when I manage to find the time :)
xanthofile chapter 14 . 10/8/2012
i find that these are pretty accurate, actually. and i wish i could add anything more than that but my powers of introspection in regard to such things is pretty lackluster. eh. i enjoy reading these kinds of things, though.
Honunjama chapter 14 . 10/8/2012
Yeah, I agree with you, I see these themes a lot- and in my own work I definitely focus on the 'suffering boy':P
I like to write and read 'coming of age' stories, which I guess is so broad a theme, it can encompass all of these. Character transformation, for the sake of love or just because it is enevitable, is what draws me, realisations made because of love.
And I love a damsel in distress, characters that need to be rescued either from themselves or from someone/thing else!

I always read dude;)
I'll reply in a bit

Sukix
Skyless11 chapter 14 . 10/8/2012
hmmm i agree, these seem to be most used, though really I've found that "The suffering boy" is more used than the other two, the coming out being mostly a kind of sub-theme to the suffering boy or straight-to-gay theme. But I have to say That this is what I've encountered so far, and you probably read more than me, so I'm not denying your order either.

What I was actually interested in would be where to put my own Deux Inconnus, but I can't seem to fit it in any of these big themes :-? and as you said the more the story is written for the sake of literature the more it departs itself from reality, and DI surely is barely in touch with reality. I'm thinking that maybe straight-to-gay fits a slight bit, though really I think I did mention the phrase "I never really thought about it". True, that might not be good enough a reason and might need development... eh...

Anyways, ty for this article. Very interesting!
Blah chapter 13 . 10/7/2012
You should review some of roughdrafthero - the stories are the best I've ever read on here
Max-Ashworth chapter 13 . 10/4/2012
I love xanthofile's writing, and so I love when you write about them. You make me think about the stories I've lived for years in a way I'd never thought of before - and that's definitely the point of all this.

That said, I would LOVE to read what you have to say about Happy Hippie. I've been a follower of Jessie's for years now and I think she's just great - as a writer and as a community member.

Looking forward to more,
Maggie/AftG
SmileyfaceGurl chapter 6 . 9/30/2012
I agree that 'The History of Southbrook Academy' is one of my favorites of her's. I like the plot, and how it mixes my favorite things into one story.
xanthofile chapter 13 . 9/30/2012
Every time you discuss my work, i am impressed-and quite a bit humbled-by the depth of your conclusions and insight. thank you, always. :bows and tips hat:
ErmengardeSecret chapter 12 . 8/26/2012
I am female, so the gender pronouns here are all correct! :) I really appreciate having my works examined and critiqued here and I most of the readings are on-the-money. I worry about readers think of my parents too negatively when I am very fond of them. I do like to get them out of the way though, as JHeartbreak as pointed out. The line about how David's parents 'politely drop dead as soon as possible' made me laugh because it is true! As I mentioned in a PM I think it's necessary to remove the parents as easily as possible, just to allow for a convenient romance!

I will be sure to check out the other authors mentioned here and review their works too once I have the time. x
Honunjama chapter 12 . 8/26/2012
I am intrigued! I shall read:) you know how good you are at this, right? XD

Sukix
whitecrow2 chapter 11 . 8/24/2012
Hi it's me again back immediately cos I skipped thru to the end and didn't recognise a single author! Where have I been you may ask? Well, reading here, see earlier ref to frogs. Should I hang out in the slash fiction forum to see more recs? Can I rec some authors you may have missed? Or if you decided weren't up to paying a lot of time and attention to, that'd be worth knowing also. I will def be reading your comments though, as intelligent criticism is always welcome.
42 | Page 1 .. Last Next »