Reviews for Girls, Boys, and Other Enigmas
QueekyB chapter 1 . 6/21
That was the longest one shot I've read, but it was absolutely fantastic! It was funny and I have the biggest grin on my sleep deprived face.
Red chapter 1 . 4/11
This was so sweet and so hilarious! I loved Jill so much, she made me laugh so many times! You are great, please keep writing xx
milkduds1095 chapter 1 . 2/23
this is adorable. i want 9008 of it
Guest chapter 1 . 12/1/2014
Oh geez. This was stinking adorable. I cannot.
Also, Jill might be my spirit animal.
A Different Kind of Yellow chapter 1 . 11/11/2014
Loved it. She's so kooky and random. Carlee was a bitch. I've had friends ditch me for guys before, lost a whole friendship once, it was really awful so I know how she feels. I'm now going to go find your author page to see if you have any other stories as awesome as this one!
bubublacz chapter 1 . 10/24/2014
I really love this! And Damn that Carlee!
namiski chapter 1 . 9/4/2014
OMG this is literally so perfect. SO PERFECT. Probs my fav romantic ANYTHING ever. They're just so adorable and hilarious and awesome together and ughhh the feels.
Raeryn chapter 1 . 8/23/2014
Hello, hello. Just wanted to say that this one shot is probably my favorite of all time. Like, ever. I showed it to my friend and we fangirled over it. But we just have one question.

How do you pronouce Jon?

I switched between "John" and "Joan" whenever I reread this, so either one works for me. I'm not really sure what my friend had to say about it because I couldn't really understand her though the midst of our fangirling, but when I looked it up on Google, it was "Yon" or "Yoan" (my friend said "Yawn"), That's drastically different, but it makes sense so I was just wondering for some clarification so I can pronouce it correctly.

Anyways, thank you for writing this amazing one shot because honestly I love it so much, oh my god.

-Raeryn
Felix Golden chapter 1 . 8/15/2014
I liked how Kent went into detail of how oblivious Jill was to his very obvious crush on her.
Fictionpress won't delete me chapter 1 . 6/29/2014
I know it's really fluffy and not really great literature, but I love this little story! It's not like most the stuff I find on here on FP. There's hardly anything I dislike about it. The only thing that comes to mind is describing the one girl as having "cartoonishly large breasts", which bothers me because a lot of stories stereotype busty girls as being easy, slutty, stupid etc. and by describing her only by her boobs makes it seem like that all there is to her. That, and I think FP might have formatted a few bits of your story funny.
But, there is so much I enjoyed here. The humour in this is very natural and real, unlike a lot of humour stories that get too outrageous and over the top. I loved the relationship Jill had with her parents (a rarity in high school romance) and that she never complains about her math. So many FP characters complain about school and don't care about, well, anything, so Jill is really unique and refreshing. She actually respects her parents and wants to do well in school. She doesn't try to change who she is, but she still cares about what other people think. She doesn't have friends because she's "too mature to hang out with immature high schoolers", but because she's truly, honestly, and delightfully awkward.
And Kent! I love every word that comes out of his mouth. He's blunt and sarcastic, not the stereotypical hot jerk that always pops up in romances. I'd describe him as having a sexy personality. In other words, it's not just his looks that make him attractive, but that he has other qualities and quirks (such as cleaning, and being witty, and getting along with his parents and Jill's parents and actually caring about other people and being sanitary). I can see exactly why him and Jill like each other so much. They're both fun, unique people.
And Jill's parents are fantastic. I love that they're actually involved in Jill's life. And that little bit where Jill actually tells her mom about liking Kent (instead of denying it even to herself as is the norm) just reminds of the friendship I have with my own mother.
There's a lot of dialogue in here that make me laugh. Here's some of the highlights:
"You were in cahoots! You were an enabler!"
"I shall emerge at dawn!"
"He's handsome, Jilly-bean! Just say thank you and pretend it's normal!"
"All the greatest oak trees first start out as nuts."
"Don't try to act cool, Jill. Your version of hip is warped."
"We weren't even sent invitation in the mail."
"I want to be rambunctious all of a sudden."
"You're a child."
"You're a woman."
"That's real classy, Carlee. I applaud you."
"Like puppies, carpets enjoy being petted to show affection."
"I thought about rubbing our laundry detergent on it and spraying it with cologne."
"Bear your female-ness modestly. In an honourable way."
"No daughter of mine will resort to shameful activities with a boy."
"I forgot to bear my feminine qualities." Just imagining what Kent must've been thinking during this conversation is hilarious.
"I don't appreciate your tactless humour at such an inappropriate moment."
"I'm trying to make a freaking soliloquy here, and you're ruining it for me!"
So, I also enjoyed Jill's comment about Kent vacuuming away his anger and the part where she's trying to cheer Carlee up. And Carlee's nana's birthday. And the spinster with a fish remark. Jill's using the term "getting fancy", which I've never heard of before and made me laugh. Jill's parents with the board games were amusing, as was them buying "useful toys". I enjoyed the bit with Jill taking her mom's purse and then Kent with the hand sanitizer. The fight with Carlee was wonderful (Jill stands up for herself. Yay!) And of course, any conversation that involved the words "Are you mocking me?" made me laugh out loud.
I know this is a very long review, but this is probably the best one-shot I've ever read (though at twenty-thousand words, it probably shouldn't count) and I thought you deserved a bit of credit for writing it.
toffeema chapter 1 . 6/27/2014
just re read this - loved it. Would love to see more from you?!
Guest chapter 1 . 4/8/2014
This piece of art just deserves so much applause. It was beautifully written and I could feel my insides do floppy things. Great job, and thank you for sharing this.
kiwi chapter 1 . 2/9/2014
"I'm not pushing you," he retorts. "I'm pulling. It's a completely different concept."-fucking epic line. Jesus christ Jill is a spaz.
The bomb digg chapter 1 . 12/21/2013
I kind of want you to make a small sequel or something. Just so I could read Carly's stupid reaction to Jill and Kent XD
Princess Wanderer chapter 1 . 10/18/2013