Reviews for Come Rain Or Come Shine
PonyTricks chapter 38 . 6/3/2012
I like Richard, a LOT. He seems to have a lot of common sense.

I'm wondering if it's really true that Julia abandoned Kenzie. Perhaps she was in some terrible accident, or was murdered by the man Kenzie was so scared of, or even arrested for some crime, and was too ashamed to make contact later?

And I'm still concerned about Derek's inability to talk to Kenzie about their relationship, and their baby.

I'm glad you didn't 'drop off the earth' so to speak! LOL! After such a long time, I was wondering if you were going to continue your story! Glad you're back. :)
AquariusGirl230191 chapter 2 . 5/18/2012
Hello

I am reviewing this as requested from the forum post "a bucketload of reviews."

Opening: I like the opening. I thought the way you described Mackenzie's childhood and the way her and Alex had to cope with being adopted and living in a house where foster children came and went was very well done. I like the sentence "lacking the social filters, judgement and common courtesy of the average adult" I think that is very well written and truly describes a lot of children / even teenagers.

Characters : I really like Mackenzie. I can relate to the whole "being alone in a crowded room" thing, because I am a little like that myself. I don't have many close friends and similary, if I am sat right next to said "aquaintances" I'll usually get talked over or ignored despite being right there. It's happened a few times. I get the feeling Mackenzie is quite lonely and I look forward to reading more to find out where this story takes her.

Also I think you portrayed her friends well, even though in this chapter we didn't get to spend too much time with them. I feel they were well developed and each had their own personalities forming early on, which is good.

Overall: I liked the opening, got a good feel for the characters and plot and felt the descriptions and pace were good. I really enjoyed it and I am looking forward to reading more from you in the future.

Well done!

Vicky
Mirabelle P chapter 37 . 5/11/2012
Congratulations for having crossed the 50 review line! :)

Another lovely chapter - you really do describe the scenes between Sophie and Kenzie with a lot of subtlety and attention to detail! I did wonder, during Kenzie's last exchange with Dylan, if she didn't slightly misunderstand what he meant when saying 'no hero'...?

xx
PonyTricks chapter 37 . 5/10/2012
Oh, dear me. I know that Kenzie is trying to be optimistic, but I am still very worried about baby Michael. If Sophie couldn't handle the emotional baggage of Derek, will she be able to deal with the fallout that will inevitable come with Dylan's physical issues? These issues will also lead to Dylan having emotional problems, as well, since it doesn't appear he's going to be able to go back to being a police officer. Will he be able to stay away from the alcohol? Will Sophie, in trying to deal with Dylan (once she is out of jail) be able to deal with a handicapped partner and a baby without relapsing into drugs? All these things are going to be a huge mountain in their path to happiness. And I'm not too sure about Derek being able to handle everything that is being thrown in his path, too. I still have a feeling his job is in jeopardy. It may be best for Derek and Kenzie if they could move about a thousand miles away, and start out fresh, and only see their respective families during the holidays and the once every five-year family reunions.
PonyTricks chapter 36 . 5/8/2012
Uh, oh... that ending wasn't a good thing, especially with Derek giving Kenzie back her key. Derek is definitely having second thoughts about their relationship. Although - surprise, surprise - I do agree with him about Kenzie and her mother. I had to laugh a bit when I read this part - "This is typical of her; getting indignant over somebody doing something that she herself is guilty of. Here enters Marianne Phillips, the queen of double standards." You know, Kenzie could be describing Whitney EXACTLY with that description of her own mother. If Derek does eventually marry Kenzie, her mother-in-law and mother are going to be either best buddies, or they'll hate each other because they can't see how alike they are. ;)
Mirabelle P chapter 36 . 5/8/2012
aw, this chapter made me feel so sad... It seems like they've managed to get themselves into a situation that will be difficult to escape from. It always takes a while for things to get back to normal, although sometimes, all you need is to spend a little bit of time with the person. Shame Derek decided not to stay...

I don't have very much to add to this - apart from the fact that it's going to be strange actually having to wait for the chapters instead of having them all delivered in one go! But it's definitely worth the wait so I don't mind :)

Have fun writing! Hope it all goes well! xx
Mirabelle P chapter 35 . 5/7/2012
Interesting new turn to the story :) I'm glad you didn't turn Kenzie and Sophie into 'best friends'! That would've just been weird and unrealistic, but this developping friendship is definitely something else. It's great that you're giving Kenzie (and us readers) the opportunity to think a little more about what most people hide underneath a cold exterior - it's often something that's worth remembering!

Also - once again in this chapter, I guess you've had some personal experiences of visiting people in correctional centres...? It's quite relaxing (odd choice of word perhaps?) in a way to know that you're talking about something you know, as I often get quite irritated with people's made-up descriptions based on movies etc. It's nice that your story has this solid real base behind it - it makes it all the more realistic!

Thanks for another couple of great chapters! xx
PonyTricks chapter 35 . 5/7/2012
Awww. That was sweet of Kenzie to take the time to go visit Sophie, and let her know what's going on. If Dylan really did crash on purpose, I'm not sure (if he survives) that he'll ever be able to look down on Derek for not being able to deal with the problems of life. They truly are twins in that way, even though Dylan (and his family) always thought he was the 'strong' one. Funny how it sometimes works out that the one everyone thinks is weak, really isn't weak at all. Maybe if Sophie can get her act together she'll make a good mother once she gets out of prison. But she sure won't be able to tell her child, "Don't do anything I wouldn't do..." ;)
PonyTricks chapter 34 . 5/7/2012
Yet another revealing chapter. I'm surprised that Kenzie didn't tell Ellie about Dylan's accident. If she reads a local newspaper, (or watches the news, or read the internet) eventually she'll find out, and then won't she be hurt that no one told her? Or one of their customers might start discussing the accident, too. Unless, in some way, the family has kept this out of the news completely, which would be a very difficult thing to do. I'm also surprised that Sophie wouldn't be able to find out, too, in the same way. Even her lawyer might tell her the bad news.

It's very good news that Dylan has opened his eyes, although that doesn't mean he still won't have severe brain injuries. He might not remember Sophie at all, or his personality might be so altered he will no longer care about her! :O

Ah, and Sophie does have a softer side. Although with her ongoing problems, I'm still not sure she's fit to raise a baby.
PonyTricks chapter 33 . 5/6/2012
This chapter actually brought tears to my eyes. I knew that Derek was going to blame himself. And now Kenzie feels like an outsider, which she still is, at least in most of his family. It's too bad that Derek is pushing her away. And she's starting to come - ever so slowly - to the realization that maybe she needs her imperfect mother and father, after all. But talking to them by phone probably isn't the best way to hash out all these issues. If Dylan's accident makes her closer to them, then at least some good will come of it. Poor Kenzie, and Derek and Dylan... *sniffs*
PonyTricks chapter 32 . 5/6/2012
That was a shocking ending to this chapter. :O :O It doesn't sound like a survivable accident, especially not wearing a seat belt. And if they have to make the decision to turn off the ventilator, that's going to make it all the worse, isn't it? POOR DEREK! Dylan was probably calling him, to either apologize, or to ask for a ride because he was too drunk, and now Derek is going to blame himself, which, in turn, is going to make his mental illness even more difficult to manage. POOR DEREK!

This is going to cause some serious problems with Sophie and her unborn baby, too. Sophie is NOT fit to raise a baby alone. I hope she sees the 'light' and allows one of Dylan's siblings to adopt little Michael.

I was glad that Kenzie was starting to consider that maybe her mother's advice wasn't so bad, and that she is starting to soften up a bit with her own mother. Perhaps being around Derek will make her come to the realization that sometimes people that you love, and that love you, are far from perfect, and you need to love them and forgive them. If she can do this with Derek and Whitney, I'm hoping she can find it in her heart to forgive and love her mother, too. *face hopeful*
PonyTricks chapter 31 . 5/5/2012
For the life of me, I just can't understand Whitney. Kenzie should have said what she was thinking, about illegitimate children. That would have taken Whitney down a few pegs... maybe. :p I can understand Whitney being upset about everything that's happening between her sons and Sophie, but she seems to be very unfairly blaming Kenzie when Kenzie is just a recent addition to a long-standing problem. I also hope Kenzie works up the nerve to phone her mom and tell her about Derek and her upcoming baby. If her mom really DOESN'T care about her, then this grandbaby news won't upset her or please her, either way.
PonyTricks chapter 30 . 5/5/2012
*blinks* Kenzie sure went from an idealized, if unrealistic version of mommy, daddy and baby to a very negative (and unrealistic) version of how difficult her life will be WITH a baby. Not much space left in her imagination for a normal - as in, other people manage to raise a baby without having their lives destroyed - middle ground with Kenzie, is there? My, my. It IS going to be a lot harder to deal with a baby if Derek's situation can't get stabilized, that's a fact. And when Sophie finds out... uh, oh. *BOOM*
PonyTricks chapter 29 . 5/5/2012
I started out in this chapter sorta annoyed at Kenzie, but then when it ended up that I was feeling sorry for her. The conversation with her mother really wasn't any different than other mother/daughter conversations, and I was miffed at Kenzie that she hung up on her mom. Maybe Kenzie has some issues, too, with thinking that her mother doesn't truly love her, and that things would be better between them if she were their biological child. I'm not sure that's the case. It's possible, probable even, that that's just the way her mother's personality IS. The advice she gave Kenzie certainly wasn't wrong, or mean-sounding to me. Is Kenzie just hypersensitive to the fact her biological mother abandoned her, so she takes out that insecurity on her adoptive parents? Maybe her mother would be surprised to know that Kenzie thinks she doesn't love her. That could be a possibility. In a way, Kenzie and Derek are a lot alike, aren't they?
Mirabelle P chapter 30 . 5/5/2012
oh dear... this doesn't bode well...

In response to your review: I reckon most people base their stories more or less loosely on their own experiences, whether their are personal ones or things that they have noticed in others. I often think it gives quite a bit of intensity to the writing - although it also depends on whether the author manages to do retranscribe his/her real life experiences into fiction adequately, which not everybody is capable of... So really, well done for your successful and interesting adaptation :)

I don't have very much to add about these last few chapters - I thought they were great! I particularly 'liked' (not exactly the right word to use in this context, maybe it's more that I found it interesting and important for the rest of the text) the fact that Kenzie and Derek are not really managing to respond adequately to what each of them needs. There's been so many times in life where I've felt that way, thankfully not quite as sharply though, that it makes it very easy to sympathise with the characters.

So yeah, thanks again for a great few chapters! Good luck with the further editing and writing! Also, if you need a hand editing (not that I think you do, but if you just fancy a second opinion), I'd love to be of help! xx
70 | « Prev Page 1 2 3 4 .. Last Next »