Reviews for Halcyon Days
poohba chapter 1 . 6/1/2012
I can't believe it's taken me this long to review your story! I'm so excited you're doing something about the 14th Century! (As you know, King Edward III's court is one of my favorite times in history.) And you even managed to work in the de Roet sisters! Brava!
R.C. Wulfe chapter 1 . 2/28/2012
I feel the strong urge to gush, using many and varied forms of 'my God, this was amazing' but I'm sure you understand. Your character, Alys de Preston has such voice, and such a realism to her that I can almost hear the tenor of her voice as I read this! Its like she's sitting across from me, and I'm just sat here listening to her speak.

I do believe you to be the best author I've had the pleasure to read on fictionpress!
deadkitty1 chapter 2 . 2/17/2012
The story was very cool, especially since it's told by another person's point of view. While reading it, I thought for sure Alys was blind by her hatred of the Other Alice that she imagined the affair in her head. But now that you've completely explained it in the notes, I get it.

I enjoyed it. A bittersweet story and I can't help but feel that Phillipa knew about her husband's affair. The story telling about her saving the six men is poignant. It makes me feel sorry for her knowing that her husband's cheating on her. Yet at the same time, I don't think I can hate Other Alice since she seems to have loved her equally as much as Alys.

You've written the use of language during that time very well. So well in fact that I needed to look up a couple of words. 'Unlettered' for uneducated is so unlikely. I would have thought it meant something like not having their proper papers adding to the unpropriety of her lineagecy or something to that manner. Eh. This is where context clues in a sentence fail me.