Reviews for The Giftgiver's Requiem
Velvet Vixen chapter 1 . 9/6/2012
Another piece full of beautiful imagery and lovely phrasing. When I read your work it always seems so calm and thoughtful too. Very nice.
AppleCrumble chapter 1 . 8/23/2012
I liked it, the words are precise and exact. They explain the peice perfectly and display a story. I like how the lines shorten, like someones clining on but can't quite. Its a good poem. I really liked it.
this wild abyss chapter 1 . 2/25/2012
As always, your imagery is super cool. Your word-choice is precise and creates a very particular picture in my head while I read. You've got an excellent grasp on how to do that.

I especially liked the first line of the last stanza. It's just...great. Seriously.

And in spite of the poem's brevity, you manage to tell a story. There's a definite feeling of finality when you've finished reading it.

Lovely work, Patrick!
Dr. Self Destruct chapter 1 . 2/17/2012
I'm really terrible when it comes to commenting on poetry, so I'm sorry if this comes out embarrassingly short. I've actually read a lot of your poems (I'm kinda a lurker :( ), but because of how hard it can sometimes be for me to connect with an author's emotions through their poetry, usually I don't leave comments on them. Plus yours are so good I feel stupid trying to dissect them when I'm terrible at it. xD

However, I thought this one gave me a lot of really cool images, like the empty whistle and the coal turning into diamonds. I also enjoyed the alliteration you used as well (what-was-wished - that flows really well off the tongue). One thing I've noticed from reading your other stuff is you do a wonderful job with using the punctuation to set the tone/mood of your poems and keep them interesting. This one in particular flowed really well while I was reading it. I also enjoy some of the words you used, like 'unrequited', 'somber' and 'epitaph'. Very cool. :)

The first stanza makes me feel really sad, because when I see 'his devotion becomes fossil' I think of death. Plus you say 'resting place', which only furthers that feeling.

The mentioning of emptiness in the second stanza makes things even more melancholy. Unspoken words, somber music - I really like how you address the sense of sound in this stanza.

The last stanza gives me a sense of ending, though sad, especially with the last word 'fall'. I always think of falling as a descent from goodness or grace - it's a very powerful image to end the poem on.

But yeah, although I might not understand the entire meaning behind this, I still really enjoyed it, if anything for the way it provoked my thoughts. Thanks for the read!