Reviews for How to Survive a Zombie Apocalypse
DappledKarma chapter 3 . 9/3/2013
Ah yes, the wonders of taking a crap on a tree during a zombie apocalypse. Hee hee!

"ARBLARBLARBL!" We shrieked in unison. "ARBLARBLBRAAAINSSS!" Oh lordy, that one hit me hard, LOL.
A. Nonymous1234 chapter 14 . 9/2/2013
Sorry it took so long to review here.

There were a few typos, like for example, you said "his coat seemed as if it had been unwashed for ears." I hope you meant years, but hey, knowing this story, anything goes.

The development of the "what makes them zombies?" thing actually grounds the realism in the story, fourteen chapters in. The randomness goofball mayhem I noticed in early chapters seemed to be gone from this one, and I actually like it.

I wouldn't suggest rewriting until you're all done with the story. Why? Because it's a mother, seriously. You have to keep so many things the same so it doesn't screw up the story later on, but at the same time, you have to make them so much better. Currently I'm stuck on 3 different chapters in my rewrite, and pardon my french, just have me saying "fuck it." Although I get your POV on this and it can feel a little hollow at times, don't rewrite just yet. I mean, look, you have 307 reviews and counting. I get it, as an author you can be your harshest critic, but if the story was really that hollow and what not it wouldn't have this many reviews, so keep that in mind.
Vladvonbounce chapter 12 . 9/2/2013
Glad to see some real zombies returning. I feel like there is not enough zombie action in this story at the moment. More just random interactions between a group of humans. Having some new characters is cool. They sound a little more rational, so far...
Vladvonbounce chapter 11 . 9/2/2013
I didn't quite get the humour in this chapter. The dream scene just seemed fairly random, I didn't understand the symbolism there?

I don't get why they are so intent on killing people in the first part? Surely once they realise they aren't zombies they wouldn't be so vicious. A bit disappointing they turned out to not be zombies after all although it did make sense and was more realistic really.

on the other hand in a random way you did a great job of being random! Your characters are sticking to their personalities which is great. Your story is very consistent!
Poker-faced Kid chapter 14 . 8/30/2013
Finish it THEN re-write! I wanna know what happens next!
Revamp chapter 14 . 8/30/2013
As someone who has written stories here for 11 years I have ran into similar issues. I don't truly rewrite as much as I do edit my old style to reflect my new style. That's what I'm currently doing to a lot of my stories and maybe that's what you should do versus just rewriting this story. You still retain your original plot but your writing takes on that sense of refinement of your newer works.

In some aspects I would say rewrite it, but it's much easier and less time consuming to edit and revamp your work.
Revamp chapter 13 . 8/30/2013
I'm finally back to reviewing normally again. Life got away from me for a while and I was sucked into the Dangan Ronpa fandom. Buuutttt...on to the story.

This chapter was funny, especially Duff pulling people around by the hair. I do wonder where they all are though. Maybe I'll find out next chapter.
Vladvonbounce chapter 10 . 8/29/2013
Pizza is pretty amazing. Zombies making pizza is weird but I am sort of used to that by now. Definitely hooks you into the next chapter to find out what is going on?
I don't think the my little pony jokes are particularly funny to be honest.
I think a little more serious scenes would make the humour stand out a bit more, preventing it just becoming too silly.
violetveins chapter 1 . 8/29/2013
I can sooo relate to the running-into-doors situation! haha, love it!
Sya Rael chapter 1 . 8/29/2013
Oh my Gosh! One word: Hilarious! I never have read a story like this. Let me tell you, I hate zombie movies, Tv shows, and books. Your story changed my mind. Well this ia your 300 review! I look foward to reading, and I hope Duff finds a survivor. If not poor her! :D
Kay Iscah chapter 1 . 8/29/2013
Okay, some of this was really funny, but the celebrity jokes were cheap and childish. The Bieber abuse is officially old now, and the Jackson one didn't even make sense. A couple of other crossed the lines by mocking people groups in a lazy and unfunny way, I'll point those out specifically in PM.

A few missing commas here and there. Normal stuff. There are places you could tighten up the wording a bit, but this kind of has a crack fic vibe...so it also works as an over excited teens narrative voice.

Tip 1: Was a good solid end line. I think I've hit my zombie limit, but I may have to relay that tip to some zombie loving friends.
Mwomnom chapter 1 . 8/29/2013
Okie, first of all, let me say something: this is sooo hilariously funny! It's seriously written so light and so entertaining! There, it's out. Now moving on.

I admire the fact that you write so well in first person, since it generally doesn't work when I try it. So I have this whole idea in my mind that writing good in first person is a personification of sophistication. Again, personal opinion. So congrats and many salutes on this one. The paragraphs were well formed and with an appropriate lenght.

What I didn't like, however, were things such as this one: "!" I tried my best to pull my hair away and the undead's arm popped off.
-The exclamation mark is not a line. Try resricting yourself from using such non-word lines because they create an impression that this is more of a cartoon than an actual fiction, comical or not. You could explain the fact that you are stunned with a simple sentence instead of resorting to this.

But that put aside, I have to admit I laughed like crazy after about every freakin' sentence. You write comic stuff amazingly well. I'll stick around and see what comes next!
DutchAver chapter 1 . 8/29/2013
I really liked your opening sentence! It was just one word ('zombies') but it does draw me in a lot more than your previous first sentences. Yeah, this feels a whole lot better.
I also liked your premise, about being in a zombie apocalypse yet actually liking it. Haven't seen that one before, and I'm always one to appreciate originality, so your premise is certainly very unique and intriguing.
But, your main character feels very detached from her family and I'm not sure whether that was intentional. Her family died and all she's worrying about is that she shouldn't cry on her birthday? I would bawl my eyes out even if it was my birthday, because come on, my family died on my birthday! I wouldn't worry about crying. You can, of course, make her very detached, but emphasise that more then. Tell us how little she cares about her family.
Also, use capital letters only occasionally. Too much is overdue, and I think you could cut back on it.
Hope I was helpful! One spelling mistake:

'they were true' you mean they were RIGHT?
The Tactician chapter 2 . 8/29/2013
This really is quite funny. I think you have the first person narration down pretty good, Duff has a really distinctive inner voice.
Dustinxrx chapter 1 . 8/28/2013
I'm attempting to enjoy your story very much so, While it is enjoyable it is kinda everywhere at once, which isn't a bad thing,i kinda feel like your character Duff has ADD/ADHD when it comes to narration, But it fits the character completely. I shall keep reading!
414 | « Prev Page 1 .. 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 18 .. Last Next »