Reviews for Guess Who's going to be an Auntie?
dyann.burian chapter 1 . 12/2/2013
This was a cute sweet story and you managed to capture the excitement of the moment, as well as the thoughts of dirty diapers and then the excitement again. Good Job!
GhostWriter13025 chapter 1 . 10/10/2013
This is so sweet and innocent... you should totally write fanfiction for Supernatural though. It would be so awesome, maybe some Destiel or Sabriel! And is this story about something that really happened or is actually fiction? But still... And could you give a few details on things, like what was the actually icing called? Stuff like that.
Jackie chapter 1 . 10/8/2013
I like your topic. Getting a new family member is always an exciting time and I think it's great that you acknowledge that sisters can be "of choice" and not just by blood. I have a sister like that myself, whose baby is just a few months old, so I recently had a similar experience to the one in your story and it was fun to read what you shared and remember how thrilled I was to become an aunt. One thing I would suggest is that you might want to spend a little more time at the beginning of your story explaining what a "sister of choice" is, as your readers may not be familiar with that term.

Overall, I think you do a great job of capturing the joy of finding out you're going to be an aunt and I think it was good that you carried over your memories from experience with another baby. You might want to consider telling us who Abby is to you. Is she a cousin? A neighbor? A friend?

Keep up the good work. The best way to grow as a writer is to keep practicing and it looks like you're putting a lot of time into that, which is great.

Best wishes!
Shorty22133 chapter 1 . 3/16/2013
Very cute! Keep writing!
Gabriela J chapter 1 . 3/12/2013
I love the way this story shows your thoughts develop. It's like being in you brain!

Very good writing.
spndean chapter 1 . 1/17/2013
another good 1 this 1 sounds like what does happen in everyday life.
Margaret chapter 1 . 12/20/2012
I just cannot get over the depth of your imagination and the amazing execution of grammar and spelling.

Well done, Maddie! Well done!
Patricia Davis chapter 1 . 12/15/2012
MaddieB's story of impending aunt-hood is a bird's eye view into the changes of life, lifestyle, emotion and, finally, the acceptance and excitement when a new baby is on its way.

Melly said: "The happiest days are the days when babies come" but she neglected to mention how fraught with foreboding and misgiving (and downright fear) every almost-parent is in the months leading up to the birth. MaddieB captures that anxiety here.

What will our protagonist do, how will she react, what is the "right way" to react, how can babies smell so bad and look so cute -universal questions all, which the author tackles like a boss.

Again, MaddieB takes on a slice of life and allows her protagonist to come to grips with it by finding her way through conflicting emotions. For any author, this is a difficult task, requiring many thousands of words. For so youthful an author, it is handled with aplomb and a skill so easy, it seems almost effortless.

In the days before Google, old folks asked mothers and grandmothers how to deal with colicky babies, diaper rash, a fortnight of sleeplessness, what's 'warm' to a bottle, why is vomit solid. Now, expectant aunts and their readers can find answers, if not the solutions that still demand hours, in .017 of a second. Our author searches, finds, realizes and still manages to accept that no matter how we learn, learn we must.

MaddieB won't win the Pulitzer for Fiction with this, but she will win millions of readers with the truthful characterization of her protagonist. Perhaps it is better to say that MaddieB won't win the Pulitzer -YET.
Anon chapter 1 . 12/3/2012
Okay...
So how were you 5 years old...playing on an iPad... tweeting... at 5? When iPads weren't even out yet? They didn't come out until 2010. You're 11. So at the time the iPad came out you were, what, 9?

Your story moves back and forth through time.

And if you claim that you are a preteen mother, wouldn't you have already had your 'son' at this point? You would have already known about babies.

And to be honest, trying to make it seem like you have a 3 year old child at the age of 11 reflects badly on your father, not just you.
Adele chapter 1 . 12/1/2012
I think family is very important and babies are exciting. I agree with how you explained to yourself how awesome babies can be and how remarkable they as they grow up.
Laken chapter 1 . 12/1/2012
Wow. Time sure does fly doesn't it? Johanna's already been born and is now a part of your family. The day I find out I'm either having a baby of my own or becoming an aunt, I'm going to squeal with joy and most likely cry. Johanna has been born...right? I kinda forget. Sorry. *sweat drop*
Maddie10 with ucat42 chapter 1 . 11/19/2012
I AM a preteen mother with a son named Levi. Guess what? Levi wasn't a baby for a long time. Only 11 months. Now he's a toddler. Wen Levi was a baby and he would cry to me in the night, first of all, I wouldn't get up to help him. I would freak. It was hard. I learned, slowly. Thank God Levi is a toddler now. I meant I don't know much about NEWBORN babies. And with now five month old Johanna, I'm learning more. Thank you for your concern, and I am very glad that I was able to explain this to you.

Maddie Beaver
Alicia chapter 1 . 10/22/2012
"I don't know much about babies." What? I think you're a preteen mom with a son named Levi? Isn't it true? So sad... :-(
FamilyGirl chapter 1 . 5/31/2012
Aww congratulations on being an Auntie. I'm an Auntie myself. My older half sister has two children of her own and then she takes care of my younger siblings. I miss dad sometimes but it's always good to hear some good news from someone else.
GHOTIfish chapter 1 . 3/5/2012